Couch to 5k challenge

Found out earlier that Ive won a free place for a 5km run in a months time, eeeek! I managed to do 20 mins running non stop (about 3km in total I think) but that was a while ago now - the most Ive ran recently is for 6 minutes. Best get bsck into it asap lol x

Just to prove that Tuesday wasn't a fluke, I did it again yesterday!

I'm really shocked with myself, if I'm honest. In my 50 years and until May this year, I had never, EVER thought about running. In fact I used to think that the people who did it were mad! :eek: But it was the upcoming half-century birthday that made me take a cold, hard look at my overweight body and I thought "What can I do that will help me lose weight, that will only cost me time?" And running seemed to be the most sensible answer. Week one day one had me struggling to sustain 60 seconds and my goodness, when I had to run for THREE minutes... well I was just dreading it. Then the week five killer.... the TWENTY minute run... well, it goes without saying.

What I have found is that I have to go out with a positive mental attitude. If I fear and dread my run, it definitely affects my energy levels. Now I know I CAN sustain 5K I can chant "I can and I will" when things get a bit of an effort. I also know that runners do sometimes have bum runs. It doesn't mean that you're rubbish or failing, it just means that you've had ONE bad run, so put it behind you and try again next time. Also, take your rest days, your body needs those to assimilate what you are putting it through the adjust. Don't ignore injuries... most of them can't be "run off". Listen to your body - make sure you warm up, either with a brisk walk or by stretching and definitely stretch out afterwards. I also read an article this week about how beginner runners breathe and instead of inhaling big gulps of air, the idea is to exhale hard, to remove all the CO2, before inhaling and this definitely seems to have helped me this week... try it.

Don't give up hope... the programme DOES work. If you struggle, repeat the week you are doing, but you WILL get there. Blimey... if I can do it, ANYONE can!

Keep running, people xxx

Yay go you!!

What a great post!!

I have to say, I love it!! I've got into a bit of a routine now with it. I don't listen to music anymore as I find it prevents me from concentrating on my breathing. Instead I've started downloading podcasts and after half an hour of running, I feel great, I feel like I've achieved something AND I feel like I've learned something from the podcast - win, win!!

Hey guys, has anyone attempted this with severe asthma? I would really like o be able to run but it kicks my asthma off really bad. Looking for some advice

I do luv running but I kp getin shin problems :-( physio again next week. Still running tho. On wk 3 running 2mins walk 2mins 4 20mins wi 5min each end walk :)

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Well done everyone! Some great results here! I'm on week 3 day 1 tonight and i'm dreading it if im honest! The thought of running 2.5 minutes is going to kill me!
As regards to asthma - why not give it a try and see how you feel - it it starts then just don't do it! What you got to lose eh?!

I completed the C25K last year.. Then just stopped running. But have taken all my running gear out of hibernation and used it today.. I don't listen to the podcasts I just put my music and run . I'm now aiming to run 5k as never got to that distance even when following podcasts. Nice to have a target to aim for..
Has anyone noticed if running helps them with the weight loss as have read so many different stories regarding running and slimming world x

Running has DEFINITELY helped with my weight loss... physically AND mentally. Because I need to eat healthily to have the energy to run... and running helps me lose weight - so the two are mutually beneficial...

I've just completed week 3! Didn't have such a good week last week and week 3 spilled over to last night! I will be going again tomorrow but staying strong! X

Running has DEFINITELY helped with my weight loss... physically AND mentally. Because I need to eat healthily to have the energy to run... and running helps me lose weight - so the two are mutually beneficial...

Think running does help mentally as why get up go running then eat the wrong stuff... Misses my run today as was up in the night not feeling to good, so plan on running tomorrow x

Just attempted to do week 7 day 1 (22 mins running) and failed miserably as I only managed to run 8 mins before I stopped. BUT I kept trying and measured my distance and in the end I ran/walked 5km in 40 mins so am quite happy with that! Am doing the great north 5km race in 2 weeks so hopefully Ill be able to do better by then.

Id definately recommend the couch 2 5k to anyone as even though I havent completed it I really dont think Id have got this far without it x

Well done Hazie! That's great that you didn't give up! I had a rough week last week so re-started week 4 day 1 over last night and completed it! The 4 mins run killed me twice busy I kept going and didn't give up! I did 4k in 34 mins which I'm pleased with! X

I plan to start this again tomorrow. Completed 1st week about a month ago but went away and then have been suffering with bad headaches since then. Hoping I wake up feeling well tomorrow so I can go :)

Good luck x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

A delayed start due to finishing work late yesterday but I've just finished week 1 day 1. I braved the drizzle and kept going and it wasn't so bad - I really like the structure and the way I don't feel guilty about walking in-between jogs because that's the plan! Last time I tried jogging I managed 10 minutes of half jogging half walking and was wrecked. Will be doing week 1 day 2 on Thursday morning I think.

Did the great north 5km this morning and it was amazing! My time was 36 mins 50 which was a personal best and it was lovely to run with such a lush view of newcastle quayside. I still had to walk quite a bit of it but think I ran about 25-30 mins altogether so am really pleased.

I feel really motivated now! So glad I started the couch 2 5k just a few months ago x

Did the great north 5km this morning and it was amazing! My time was 36 mins 50 which was a personal best and it was lovely to run with such a lush view of newcastle quayside. I still had to walk quite a bit of it but think I ran about 25-30 mins altogether so am really pleased.

I feel really motivated now! So glad I started the couch 2 5k just a few months ago x

Amazing! Very well done.

I did week 1 day 3 today and really struggled. Then I realised I hadn't had my trusty banana before I left! That and it was really windy. Anyway I battled through and somehow made it all the way.

Back