Couch to 5k?

How is everyone getting on? I'm doing W1 D1 this afternoon..should be a giggle my super fit housemate is coming with me who says he will act as my personal trainer.. :)

week 1 day 1 done this morning in howling wind and rain, got up early to do it so thought well, might as well crack on and get it done.

Quite enjoyed it really, was impressed that I managed all the runs, looking forward to day 2.....

Hiya all.

I did most of C25K last year, but then let it slide. I'm going to join you all and get back to it this week though, starting Thurs.
I'm not really sure quite how far back to go, as I'm sure I don't need to be as far back as Week 1, but I know I'm not now at Week 9.
I think I'll try round about half way, and see how it goes. And adjust as necessary.

And when I've got to the end - I'm going to go for the B210K. That's the plan, anyway. And, like Jo, I want to be able to do a half marathon - one day - before I die!

It really does work, folks. Good luck to the people who are starting out.

Well done! That's the hardest bit done now! :)

Hope you are right ;) x

week 1 day 1 done this morning in howling wind and rain, got up early to do it so thought well, might as well crack on and get it done.

Quite enjoyed it really, was impressed that I managed all the runs, looking forward to day 2.....

Must admit I was thinking earlier, when lying in bed listening to the horrible weather! That it wouldn't be so much fun in that! Well Done :)

I am so impressed! What a day to start well done you:character00180:

I get the impression that there are lots of variations on the couch to 5k. They ultimately seem to have the same goal. Running 5k in 9 weeks. if that's what your plan is doing we are all aiming for the same thing.

i have a running jacket!!!! im going to buy Get Running!!!

*scared*

is it the one on the app store for £1.99 with a trainer as the picture (Benjohn Barnes?) and nealry 600 ratings?

Sorry to be a pleb i wanna make sure its the right one!

That's the one I've got, EB. And it seems to work. Well, apart from the fact that you actually have to get out there and do it...

I mean, I've got "running shoes", but they don't seem to run at all, unless I put them on and do the hard work myself!

I downloaded the NHS choices one from itunes to my ipod, couldn't find it on android for my phone x

kerryathome said:
I downloaded the NHS choices one from itunes to my ipod, couldn't find it on android for my phone x

That's what I did too. I also have the one that posts your results on FB if you wish but I don't like the app, there's no warning or anything just 'WALK' 'RUN' and I found it rude lol! I'll let you all know the app names in just a sec!

Right the C25K app is now called 'Ease into 5k'
Pros: you can enter your weight, so calories burned is a true figure.
You can enable GPS.
You can enter how you feel that day, to see if a pattern emerges for bad runs, if you always have a bad run after a late night then you can adjust your days.
You can upload to Twitter and FB.

Cons: Abrupt commands, trust me I hated this guy!!

Get Running
Pros: lovely lady gives you warnings 'get ready to run in 10 seconds' encouragement 'you have just 30 seconds of running left' so if you're on a treadmill you can get ready to slow the machine down.
Play your music in the background, the music turns down when she talks to you.

Cons: can't adjust music without leaving app.
After a few weeks the encouragement could get a bit much!

So with all the pros you would think the ease into 5k would be my choice, however it's not! Don't underestimate the power of encouragement!!!!

It's also easy to fool the ease into 5k app that you did your run, then enter your data and post that way.
Those of you using Nike+ can use that instead for tracking speeds etc!

Shirleen said:
Right the C25K app is now called 'Ease into 5k'
Pros: you can enter your weight, so calories burned is a true figure.
You can enable GPS.
You can enter how you feel that day, to see if a pattern emerges for bad runs, if you always have a bad run after a late night then you can adjust your days.
You can upload to Twitter and FB.

Cons: Abrupt commands, trust me I hated this guy!!

Get Running
Pros: lovely lady gives you warnings 'get ready to run in 10 seconds' encouragement 'you have just 30 seconds of running left' so if you're on a treadmill you can get ready to slow the machine down.
Play your music in the background, the music turns down when she talks to you.

Cons: can't adjust music without leaving app.
After a few weeks the encouragement could get a bit much!

So with all the pros you would think the ease into 5k would be my choice, however it's not! Don't underestimate the power of encouragement!!!!

It's also easy to fool the ease into 5k app that you did your run, then enter your data and post that way.
Those of you using Nike+ can use that instead for tracking speeds etc!

And with the get running - in te settings you can adjust the encouragement etc, so if it does your head in after a few weeks, you can change it to just give the basic commands

Eg you still get 'begin your next run now' but no '30 seconds remaining. It's more of an even balance and I like it because it still says how far through that run you are (eg after this run you've completed 4/8'

Am off to do week 1 day 3 after work!

Ah I'm a running virgin and I'm starting my first run today!

I have the c25k app so im gonna start with that I think although I am considering the other app after reading your reviews of both hmm

I'll e doing them at the gym on the treadmill and so not sure how well that'll go but here's to trying eh!? Xx

Mizkirsty said:
Ah I'm a running virgin and I'm starting my first run today!

I have the c25k app so im gonna start with that I think although I am considering the other app after reading your reviews of both hmm

I'll e doing them at the gym on the treadmill and so not sure how well that'll go but here's to trying eh!? Xx

With the treadmill be careful not to overstride forwards best to do a big kick back iyswim? If not sure ask a trainer to assess your gait.
Don't be tempted to go too fast.... Remember no matter how slow you run it's still faster than the couch! Speed comes later!
One last tip raise your incline by .5% it's easier on the calves!

Back