Could i have some ideas please

FionaMcd

Gold Member
Hi everybody :)
Due to the sun being out and family down from London we are going to the beach tomorrow to watch airbourne and on Monday a BBQ at ou house so really I'm looking for picnic and BBQ food ideas that are free or very low syn for myself and Hubbie.
Will be an extra easy day for both of us. Only things I don't eat is egg and for mr mushrooms otherwise willing to try almost anything :) thanks in advance xxxxx

In terms of BBQ, all lean meat and fish would be free on an EE day. Also corn on the cob done on the BBQ would be nice. You could make some kebabs from lean meat and veggies then cook them on the BBQ. You could also replace the meat with king prawns and have prawn kebabs instead. You could make syn free coleslaw and potato salad to have with the dishes, or bulghur wheat salads like tabbouleh, or couscous/rice/pasta salads. Obviously all salad items would be free and would bulk the meal out :) If you wanted to marinade your meat you could make the syn free BBQ sauce and marinade the meat before cooking it.

With regards to the picnic...the coleslaw/potato salad/cous cous/bulgur what/pasta salad etc would all be suitable here too. Chicken drumsticks/thighs are also a good option, as is any lean meat. You could use your HexB to make sandwiches with any fillings you like. I think there's a pasty recipe here somewhere using smash, but I haven't trie dit. If you don't mind pizzas cold you could make the smash pizza and take slices of that with you...that's as low syn as you choose to make it :)

Make some pakoras, veg samosas, scotch eggs, all SW, enjoy, recipes via link below
Pete

We are having a bbq today :) Can't wait!

We will have chicken which we will cook with the skin on, purely as it results in much more moist and nice meat - I'll peel the skin off before eating.

Prawn kebabs are really good as have been mentioned - my family are eating sweet chilli ones from tesco BUT I don't touch those as they have syns due to the marinade (so be careful of things like this which seem like they would be free but would quickly use up all your syns). I have bought my own bag of raw prawns and am marinading them in the BBQ frylight - not sure how they will turn out but will defs report back.

I make burgers out of extra lean mince, adding things like chopped red onion or apple and garlic/worcesterchire sauce to the burger mixture. I didn't have any extra lean mince today so have used Quorn mince instead.

As for sausages I am having two honey, pork and leek from my butchers which we have worked out to be 5yns each (happy to spend my syns on these as they are soooo nice!) but if you search the site I'm sure you can find some which are just half a syn (sainsburys bgty springs to mind).

60g wholemeal roll as a Hex to be filled with wither chicken or sausage.

I can't really advise on side dishes or veg to go with the bbq as our family sees these as pointless lol - despite the quorn products our bbqs are always a meatlovers dream!

As an extra treat I have made magners ice lollies - bought a lolly maker with 4 compartments, filled them up with magners, measured the remaining magners to work out how much was in each individual compartment and then I did some more sums and worked out that one lolly was 1.5syns. Well worth it in this weather I'd say! The excess magners was donated to my dad so I wasn't tempted lol.

Hope your weekend is a good one! :)

Back