I don't have diabetes but...

tipperary

Gold Member
Ok, so I don't have diabetes but most of my family have type 2 diabetes and I am looking for advice to prevent it.

Mam and Dad got it in their 40s.
Younger brother and sister have it too, one at 35 and one at 40.
Aunts and uncles all have it too.
We all have that body shape, roundy in the middle.

I used to carry my weight on hips and bum, and I still do but now also have a very big belly. I have large boobs, a 36E but my belly is bigger than this now.

I was concerned about type 2 diabetes and get regular blood tests to check for it.
I have one due in about 8 weeks and don't think the news will be as good this time. last time I was told that bloods where in the normal range but could be better.
Since then I have put on another 5 kilos, been leading a very sedentary lifestyle and been eating and drinking way too much.
Last week I joined here and started my official plan today.

I know I have made the right start and that I need to lose weight, be careful what I eat and exercise more.

But I have a few random food related questions for those who are managing diabetes.

So I understand about GI and aiming for lower index foods and this is simple to see with sugars and simple carbs. But I get confused with fruit, there are so many conflicting stories.

Is it OK so eat as much fruit as I want (other than watermelon).
I have been told that a banana is good when you have a mid afternoon slump, but does that mean it is bad for you when you don't (have a slump I mean)?
Can I eat fruit first thing in the morning or is it better to have some porridge first.
Lots of detox diets suggest fruit juices and smoothies but a local diet club leader said this is wrong, that too much fruit is too much sugar all at once.
I love grapes and often eat about 6 or 7 when I want a sweet treat, but the taste so sweet are they really not bad for me.
I prefer 4 small meals and a snack, or sometimes just graze through the day...are these preferable to 3 large meals.
Is honey any better for me than sugar, I don't particularly like either but know organic local honey has other beneficial properties.

And finally, why does the label "low fat" quite often mean "high in sugar", I am particularly taking about yogurts and dairy drinks. Is there a cholesterol reducing drink that is particularly suited to diabetics.

Many thanks

Back