Countdown to Christmas Dinner!

Mini

Administrator
Staff member
xmas-smiley-045.gif

I know every year I go and buy nearly every magazine in the shops for Christmas I love Christmas and like piratically everything that goes with it...

So I thought it would be nice if we could share some of the things we like to do with food.

I am having the in-laws and I will be cooking the dinner and I am actually looking forward to it as this year I will be eating.

Last year I managed to SS all the way...

I cooked goose last year and I was told by all it was very good and the gravy as well...

This year I am going traditional free range turkey.

I don't like to get too big of one, so around the 12lbs. will be fine.

My mother use to buy ones as a big as a house and we would get an anatomy lesson around the kitchen table as she plucked and cleaned it...

Thank God, mine will come headless, plucked and cleaned with the giblets nicely packed ready for the gravy.

Roast potatoes and roast parsnips are always a big favourite and chipolatas wrapped in bacon. Brussels sprouts of course and birds, carrots and parsnips which will be mashed together with salt and pepper and dare I say a little butter a family favourite and of course creamed potatoes.

I will do a baked ham with ginger and mustard glaze, this always comes out very nice. Normally I cook that on Christmas Eve.

I am looking for ideas on what to give as a starter this year and a dessert.

So if you have any favourites that you would like to share with me, I would love to hear.

Love Mini xxx

can i come to your house for dinner mini pleeeeeeeeeeeease lol lol that sounds delicious!!!

must get onto my mother now to see whats for the dinner ha ha

Well for the 1st time in 15 years Im not cooking :D we are taking the children to Butlins on Dec 23rd to 27th :D I will be 9 days aways from my 100 days LL foundation finish :eek: so Im not sure if i'll eat?
But last year for a starter we got these YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY marks n spencers canninbre(cant spell lol)/cranberry filo pasty twists ,they are about £7 for 12 ummmmmmm :D
xxc

For Crimbo lunch starter, I usually do a prawn and melon basket, carving two chunks out of the melon and carving out a handle, then scooping out the flesh and filling the basket with melon balls and tiger prawns. I make my own dressing with mayo, ketchup, diced cucumber and paprika. MMMMMMMMMMM!

Oh bum - I shouldn't be thinking about this when I'm SSing lol!

Oh and pudding is always trifle. I could tell you how I make it but it's a closely guarded family secret hehehehehhe!
AARGH!!

We always have salmon pate parcels as a starter...I make the pate myself and wrap it in smoked salmon and serve with melba toast...its yummy!
For pudding like Issy we have trifle! followed later in the evening by Xmas pud, mince pies and brandy butter!
OMG my mouths watering now..........:eek:
Last year my parents took us out the first time I haven't cooked in 14 years! This year were going out on Xmas eve instead which will be weird...hope we get home in time for you know who!
Then traditional turkey roast and all the trimmings just the 5 of us! So we'll slob out all day! Bliss.
Kam x

can i come to your house for dinner mini pleeeeeeeeeeeease lol lol that sounds delicious!!!

must get onto my mother now to see whats for the dinner ha ha

Gen, your more than welcome:D

Love Mini xxx

Well for the 1st time in 15 years Im not cooking :D we are taking the children to Butlins on Dec 23rd to 27th :D I will be 9 days aways from my 100 days LL foundation finish :eek: so Im not sure if i'll eat?
But last year for a starter we got these YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY marks n spencers canninbre(cant spell lol)/cranberry filo pasty twists ,they are about £7 for 12 ummmmmmm :D
xxc

Oh I'lldoit, I know the ones you mean.....they are FAAAAABBBB!! Yummy yummy yummy!!!

Now I like the sound of this all ready to go and I do like Marks n Spencers, they have one in Galway.

Will have to investigate further.

For Crimbo lunch starter, I usually do a prawn and melon basket, carving two chunks out of the melon and carving out a handle, then scooping out the flesh and filling the basket with melon balls and tiger prawns. I make my own dressing with mayo, ketchup, diced cucumber and paprika. MMMMMMMMMMM!

Oh bum - I shouldn't be thinking about this when I'm SSing lol!

Oh and pudding is always trifle. I could tell you how I make it but it's a closely guarded family secret hehehehehhe!
AARGH!!

Isobel this brings me back about 25 years and myself and hubby were out to dinner and we had the most gorgeous melon basket stuffed with prawns and marie sauce!

Must ask hubby can he remember that far back as he has got selective amnesia:rolleyes:

Thanks for that one might do that just for ourselves some rosematic night...:p ;)

We always have salmon pate parcels as a starter...I make the pate myself and wrap it in smoked salmon and serve with melba toast...its yummy!
For pudding like Issy we have trifle! followed later in the evening by Xmas pud, mince pies and brandy butter!
OMG my mouths watering now..........:eek:
Last year my parents took us out the first time I haven't cooked in 14 years! This year were going out on Xmas eve instead which will be weird...hope we get home in time for you know who!
Then traditional turkey roast and all the trimmings just the 5 of us! So we'll slob out all day! Bliss.
Kam x

Hi Kam,

I have had the salmon paste with melba toast but not the way you have it and that is a nice twist to it.

Very good.

The triffle reminds us of Christmas Day growing up as it was the standard Christmas day dessert along with the Christmas Pudding.

A neighbour of ours always came down for the Irish Coffee after The Christmas Dinner and this year both my parents had gone to bed drunk, trouble was on the horizon and my mood was not good as I was left cleaning up on my own after having made the dinner:eek:

So I have not a drop of energy left to get up and make my neighbour an Irish Coffee and she was two sheets to the wind as it was...

Well she got annoyed with me and said she was off to help herself and I told her go ahead and she arrived back all happy with her Irish coffee, she had found the whiskey, and the cream...the cream she scooped from the top of the trifle and it had a red cherry and other bits of fruit cocktail with it... I nearly split my sides laughing, and I think of her fondly and I can still see her God rest her soul, sitting delighted with herself and enjoying her Irish Coffee a la fruit cocktail.

Thanks for reminding me she was a lovely old soul.

Love Mini xxx

My sister bought the jamie oliver DVD in sainsburys last year and raved about it and the food was gorgeous!! So i have my copy ready and will follow it step by step...

Oh and i ordered my Christmas cards at the weekend, i always get personalised ones as i hate writing them!

Ho Ho Ho

My sister bought the jamie oliver DVD in sainsburys last year and raved about it and the food was gorgeous!! So i have my copy ready and will follow it step by step...

Oh and i ordered my Christmas cards at the weekend, i always get personalised ones as i hate writing them!

Ho Ho Ho

What does he suggests for dessert or starters:confused:

Back