Courgettes! Coming out of my ears!

Bad Jar

Every ounce is bounce
My OH's boss has an allotment so we end up with a lot of fresh veg.

Last night OH came home with a massive bag of french beans and 5 courgettes. The biggest one looks more like a marrow! it's 10 inches long and 8 inches around (yep, I'm a total saddo and measured it!)

Anyway, I plan to do a fake shepherds/cottage pie with some of the beans and the smaller courgettes. Any idea what recipes I can do with the others please?

I love just throwing courgetters, peppers, cherry toms, mushrooms and other veg in a dish and throwing them in the oven for 40 mins and it comes out like mediterrean (sp?) veg!

Also throw a Tesco cooked chicken stripped into it and it makes a lovely dinner for 4 !

Hmm, sounds good. Might get some toms from the shop later. I've got chicken and mushrooms. Might throw in a green pepper and some onion.
Thanks!

If you throw in toms you get more like a ratatouille as it is wetter, therefore if you want dry then only put in a few! if you want it more like a soup then chuck a load in!

We grow courgettes so have come up with some fab reciepes for them. My fave, and what I am eating tonight with salmon and green beans is as follows:

2 large courgettes, sliced thinly, and fry them in olive oil until a little soft ten put them in an oven proof baking dish.
Then in the same pan about 8 tomatoes deseeded, and fry them in olive oil until soft.
Pout them on top of the courgettes.
At this point I food process a think slice of wholemeal bread and put the breadcrumbs on top, then finally top with loads of parmesan, and then some butter to keep everything juicey.

You need to bake it for about 40 mins at 180. I would cover it for first 30 mins, and then leave off for last 10 mins. though keep an eye on it, as the top can dry out a little - if so just add a little more butter.

This recipe is seriously gorgeous - I promise!

I usually slice them into ribbons using my potato peeler and have it instead of pasta. I'd need to leave the bread out but could use a little flaxseed mixed with the parmesan instead. Thanks. X

courgettes are also quit good for grating into foods to bulk them out.

courgette ribbons are good too. our courgettes are yellow so even look like pasts.

I'm sure you could leave the breadcrumbs out and it would be fine.

Variations could always be to put blue cheese or a brie in with it.

Can I just say - my spelling is terrible today. I am typing on my tiny laptop keyboard and keep missing keys. Need to check posts before sending them

Very sorry everyone.

A realllly simple supper or side-dish: slice them in half lengthways, line them up skin side down in a greased baking dish, season with salt & pepper and top them with a line of grated cheese on each half. Bake for 15-20 mins until the courgettes are soft and the cheese golden. Works best with thinner ones.

LOL, I was going to suggest exactly what LM said. :D

I usually slice them into ribbons using my potato peeler and have it instead of pasta. I'd need to leave the bread out but could use a little flaxseed mixed with the parmesan instead. Thanks. X

ooh what a good idea, that what i will have with my spag bol tomorrow.

I use butternut squash sliced into noodles as a spaghetti substitute as well

I love just throwing courgetters, peppers, cherry toms, mushrooms and other veg in a dish and throwing them in the oven for 40 mins and it comes out like mediterrean (sp?) veg!

I love doing this too... you can get a prepared Schwarz type spice & herb mix to add to it too...

I love it when they are slightly burnt... gorgeousness :D

Back