Courgettes

Hi everyone, I have been given lots of courgettes but not sure what meals I can make from them!! Any inspiration would be great?

I love courgettes roasted, or cut into thin strips using a potato peeler and stir fried

I have this recipe - which looked absolutely delicious when he made it on This Morning (have obviously tweaked oil etc to make it SW friendly)
Gino D’Campo Courgette and lemon zest pasta

(Serves 4)
1 courgette coarsely grated
Fry Lite
Good pinch of Dried chilli flakes
2tablespoons pine kernels (10 syns)
Zest of 1/2 unwaxed lemon
120g spaghetti
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese Salt to taste (3)

• Put the grated Courgettes in a clean tea towel and squeeze dry
  • Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the courgette for 5 minutes over a medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add the chilli flakes, pine kernels and lemon zest and continue to cook for a further 3 minutes
  • Season with salt and stir
  • Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan with plenty of boiling slated water until al dente. Once the pasta is cooked, drain thoroughly and tip into the frying pan with the courgette.
  • Toss everything together over a medium heat for 30 seconds serve immediately, sprinkled with parmesan.
13 syns for the complete recipe = 4.5 for 1 portion as it serves 4, I think you could probably substitute the pine kernels for green pesto I think that would work really well and bring syns down to 2 per portion (1tbsp green pesto 4 syns)

If you do a search you will find lots of ideas - there are curries, frittata, pizza, ratatouille, risotto, soups, pasta sauces etc.

I add courgettes into a lot of meals to pad out beef mince, like bolognaise and lasagne as well as veggie versions.

Also you could try making courgette or veggie soup or courgette fritters which are all very yummy to.

I made stuffed courgettes tonight. Here's the recipe:

Stuffed Courgettes

Serves 2-4

Syn Free if cheese is used as a Healthy B Choice

4 large or 6 medium courgettes
5 cups cooked brown rice
1 14.5oz can tomatoes, blended smooth into sauce (I used Hunts Fire Roasted Tomatoes w/Garlic)
2 tbsp Italian seasoning
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 oz mozzarella cheese

Directions:
Set the oven to 350F/180C/Gas4.
Cut the ends off and a thin strip from the side of each courgette. Scoop out the pulp leaving about ¼ inch of the skins and pulp intact. Chop up the pulp. Mix about 4 cups of rice (reserving the rest), the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper with the pulp. Over stuff each shell until all of the filling is gone. Place the stuffed courgettes in a deep baking dish, place the remaining rice around the sides of them. Pour the blended tomatoes over the courgettes and around the sides. Cover and bake for 30min.
Once 30min is up, cover the tops of the courgettes with mozzarella cheese and continue to bake uncovered for 10min or until the cheese is melted. Place the courgettes onto plates and surround with rice and sauce. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I grate them and mix with grated carrot & sliced red onion for a quick salad to go with my meals.

You can add a salad dressing or yogurt/fromage frais/quark dressing to it.

Nice with a chilli finely chopped into it.

Back