Cravings after carbs.......is it just me?

cocktailprincess

Still rockin' it
Hi all

Occasionally I get massive sugar cravings in the evenings. It is almost always after I have large portions of pasta or potatoes.

I have experimented and when I have 'original' meals I very rarely get this.

I have tried to cut out carby meals at dinner, but I miss the flexibility of cooking with pasta, rice and spuds!

Does anyone else get this? It is really annoying- last night I had pasta and ended up in the corner shop buying packet of wine gums and a Dime bar! It would be funny if it wasn't so annoying!

Thanks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Not had it myself, but I have read that carbs give you more cravings.

From my limited nutritional knowledge, pasta and potatoes are both converted into sugar when broken down which can cause your sugar levels to peak and trough. I think one of the ways to combat this is to eat wholemeal pasta as well as to make sure you have protein with pasta as it helps slow down the release of sugar and makes it lower GI. Eg, have eggs, quorn, cottage cheese, etc. with it.

I know what you mean. I do a voluntary job twice a week and it comes with a free lunch. I have a jacket potato and am always starving 3 hours or so later

i always crave sweet stuff after lots of pasta so i generally have an apple or something

strange isn'tit, this sweet craving after carbs? I live on green days as I love picking at plain cooked pasta and I always have a bowl of pudding rice in the fridge and also cous cous - don't eat so much spuds but do eat a lotta pasta - am wondering whether to try a red day for a change, but I too wld miss the pasta and also, red days are a bit limited as you can only have salad or veg as all day freebys .....

This is really common and to do with insulin levels being thrown out of balance.

It makes you crave more carbs and sweet things, especially if you are insulin resistant.

As mentioned above, complex carbs such as like vegetables and whole grains will help :)

I discovered (or at least I hope I have) that fruit was making me extremely hungry all the time. Since starting SW I had upped my fruit intake as it was an easy snack to take with me, but my hunger increased dramatically. I ate fruit, still hungry, ate more, and so on.

What about pairing your carbs (rice, pasta and such) with a small amount of protein. Have some chicken breast already cooked in the refrig or a few ounces of tuna fish to toss in with the carbs. I read in one book to pair 7 grams of protein for each 15 grams of carbs, but maybe a few ounces of a free protein eaten with the carb would stop the cravings.

Back