Crazy life of Chilli

hello all, well I did get a fair bit done in the house today, walk with the dog was just under 7km, so fairly cracking on with my March fundraiser for Dementia UK. My step count today is 11530, which isn't bad considering I had no school walks today. Mind you I also had an unexpected panic struck jog when my dog took off after a deer, but thankfully she ran back to me probably only 20-30 seconds later, I was so grateful!

I've felt mostly ok today, have started my period so perhaps I've been premenstrual but I was never prone to that really. Having said that, my cycle since I've been older has been more regular and in my youth I often went several months without a period so I guess I wouldnt have noticed. This cycle has been shorter than my average and I'm wondering - I'm a month in to this way of eating I think, I wonder if the changes have already impacted my insulin and will be helping my ovaries to normalise. I don't need them anymore, Im 45, no more babies here, but it has so many other health implications, fertility is just the tip of the iceberg but all anyone seems to focus on.

Food has been 1 actimel yoghurt, 1 coconut muffin (the freeze and defrost perfectly) some home made chilli with cheese and 2x home made low carb krisprolls, pepperoni pizza made with low carb naan (I'm really liking those) and some mixed root fries. I also had a bottle of Blue wkd, which has been sitting since my birthday in January. I'm not a big drinker but I felt like having one so I did. Finding some balance I hope... mind you I might regret it tomorrow as it's official weigh day lol.

I have my shopping to pick up tomorrow morning too, so should be organised for my week ahead as have 6 nights at work in a row to look forward to, and I want to break my bourbon habit so I need to be taking food with me. I have some frozen chilli, sausage curry and soup to be going on with, plus whatever I cook as we go.

Morning all, I'm 1.5lb down on last week (184 lbs)

My bust has gone down 0.5" waist the same and hips up an inch but I'm on day 2 of a period so I'll just be bloated.

Plan for today is to hang up wet washing (I do live an exciting life) then go to nearby town to pick up my shopping, put it all away, walk the dog, then get cracking clearing out my sons room, cleaning the bathroom and a hoover all upstairs. I start work tonight too.

No idea about lunch but my calendar says roast chicken for dinner. I'll try not to eat until later actually to change into my night time hours.

toodles

Well done on all the steps, amazing how they clock up just going round the house.

And well done too on the loss, that's fab! LC sounds like it's a good approach for you, and your food sounds great :)

Check your local library for audiobooks too, if you haven't already. Mine uses Bolinda and I download lots of them - I do prefer actual books but have just listened to Kate Reading (really her name) read the Detective Gretel books and she's hilarious, really nailed the different voices.

thanks @ladybird777

Thanks @ladyfelsham yeah I feel like I've settled in to it quite well, this is week 5 beginning. I'm surprised at how quickly it's gone by I can't believe I've been posting here that long already.

I forgot the library did audio books, I had an audible account for ages and have cancelled it until my finances clear up, but I've a few favourites and a few I've not listened to yet so the break isn't bad. I listen on my phone, is that possible with the library stock? I remember years ago they had cd's and also little personal player things each with an individual book on them.

So far today I've eaten a banana (a little one lol) and a handful of macademia nuts, which are my all time fav nut, but shockingly expensive. £5 for a 250g bag :eek: I treated myself to them this week and will make them last all week!

I listen on my phone, is that possible with the library stock? I remember years ago they had cd's and also little personal player things each with an individual book on them.

Absolutely. Google your council library and Borrowbox, and it should enable you to login to your account, add and delete e-books and audiobooks, and you can read/listen to them on the app. Durham council allows me to have 9 of each, including reservations. Oh and there's a brilliant e-newsletter ypu can subscribe to Audiofile magazine with the latest audiobooks, I've listened to a couple of really good ones via that.

Hey all. Quick check in from the nightshift.

Low on steps yesterday as was busy at home was around 7000

I don't recall eating lunch yesterday, and switched dinner to chicken skewers and root fries. I had chopped up cucumber, cheese, tomato and salad cream before midnight and have sausage curry I'll eat soon.

Thanks for the library ideas @ladyfelsham

morning all. So yesterday I had the sausage curry early hours, some nuts, 2x fromage frais, some roast chicken with ratattouie and 2 bourbon biscuits (its a hard habit to break lol) I had chilli for after midnight but I didn't eat it. It was a busy shift and we lost one of our longer term residents, he'd been in there since before I started and was an absolute gent, he will be missed by all in the home.

This morning I came home with good intention of dog walk before sleep but I think I need sleep more and will be headed there soon. Annoyingly, I came home and ate a hot cross bun whoops lol.

I did around 10000 steps yesterday, I left phone sitting whilst whizzing about at work so probably lost out on them being counted but I know I did them.

In other news I joined the library @ladyfelsham! it was much more complicated than it should have been. the app you mentioned doesn't cover my area, but my library suggested an app called libby - it worked great on my phone but can't get it for kindle. So I googled loads last night and eventually worked out an app called overdrive is available on kindle and my phone, so I've updated both gadgets to link together for that one. I know this will sound stupid, but I really had completely forgotten about libraries and what they can offer. I can see me making very good use of this and it's all free (well we fund it through council tax i guess but you know what I mean) I feel so much better about giving up my audible account and I want to get back into reading more often too, so thanks for pointing me in the direction!

right, nearly nodding off at the keyboard here, so I'm off to snooze.

Well done on beating the library technology into submission :) - it's so worth it, I haven't bought a book in ages, and it's good to support your local librarty by borrowing loits so they can keep their funding!

I'll have a look at Overdrive too.

Sorry to hear about your resident passing away, all part of the job I guess, but still sad, nonetheless x.

I have to admit I was really hankering after the kindle unlimited and audible, but between them it adds up to a fair bit. I think my audible was £80/year and the kindle unlimited was £7 or £8/month! it really adds up when you don't have much spare. I already pay for netflix, amazon prime and prime music which collectively is around £30/month, but all 3 of us use that so it feels valuable to the household. In typical mother style I gave up the kindle unlimited and audible because it's mostly only me that uses it. Modern life has access to so much with great ease but most of it has a cost attached. Then you come along and remind me of the library and seriously - I'm far more excited than is probably justified :roofles: .

I'm not long awake, wasn't the best sleep. I can handle the sad part of the job, it's the cycle of life and it's a privilege to care for people as they end it. When you know it's the end of a long life that was lived well with much love in it, it reminds us (at 45 anyway) that there is still much life to be lived. Focussing on the living part helps, along with just making sure people are comfortable. As a carer obviously we don't dish out the drugs but the nurse is relying on us to be in these rooms frequently and report back quickly any signs of pain, panic, discomfort - so that she can then respond quickly with what she can give. It's our job to frequently turn them when asleep to make sure they don't get sores, to give mouthcare when they can't drink, to always try to work out if the room is too hot or cold, to know them helps a lot. I have been surprised at how much you can learn about a person even when they've been unable to speak and even when they are asleep. Lots of little signs I would never have thought to see before I did this work. Some people may want to hold your hand, others won't, some may like the company where others prefer the privacy of a closed door etc and that barely scratches the surface but we do our best to interpret. I'm just relieved we are at a point of covid where we can cautiously and carefully let relatives in. Even a few months ago people were only allowed short death bed visits and wouldn't be allowed back in to see their loved one once they'd gone. This mans family were in to spend time with him over the past week, and were allowed to pop in this morning to say a last goodbye, so at least they had that...

Having said that, covid has taken so much from people and I don't just mean those who have lost someone to covid. The family mentioned above every week the son used to come in on an evening and give his Dad a shower, he preferred his son to the carers doing it and he was in to visit at other times as well but the shower thing was a devotional practice and he is the only relative I've seen over the past 2 years I've worked there (altho no ones had the chance the past year) to do such a thing. They were obviously very bonded and covid has taken away a lot of the time over his last year that he would have spent with his son. That makes me sad, but I know they are grateful that we looked after him the best we could, when they couldn't.

However what probably keeps me awake most, steals my calm and makes me wonder if I can continue long term isn't any of the heartbreak, or the other downsides of the job but the staffing issues that are ongoing. We already know and have known for at least a month that we will be short staffed Mon and Tues night, now sometimes we get lucky and a short staffed night isn't so bad, other nights it's hell. We are collectively becoming extremely frustrated with the lack of action from management to fix this and one of our number has already chosen to move to day shift, which will exacerbate the situation dramatically is something is not done. They are short on days too, but they have recruited 3 new members in recent weeks so at least that is moving. We will see what happens next. It would be a shame to leave, as the work itself I enjoy and it's very local so I've no travel expenses etc.

Well that was a fair work ramble lol.

I've not eaten since this mornings hot X bun. I won't buy them again I thought the kids would eat them but seemingly not and I bought 8. 4 are in the freezer at least so I can eat them slowly, I know I could just bin them but we have established that I don't like throwing food away especially when it's stuff I actually like too. A little now and then is probably ok anyway. I remember on the blood sugar diet when I did that, Mr Mosely suggested to approach it all with an attitude of 80% getting it right and 20% allowing yourself whatever, which seems a reasonable strategy in most cases. In fairness to myself I've not done too badly all things considered. I only need to make it to thursday morning then I'll be off for 9 nights and out of reach of the biscuit tin at work. I've just realised I could also put the others in the freezer... I can be a bit dim at times lol.

Using the left over roast chicken today for chicken pie for the kids. I'd usually have the chicken with something else but unless I feel like making a batch of ratattouille I'm not sure what else is left in freezer. I may have something else entirely. Annoyingly I forgot to get a few things in my friday shop including eggs and some other bits I'd use regularly but I think I can get by for now. I have plenty of things that take longer to make and I do have ingredients for ratatouille but not sure I've the energy. Wonder if I could pop it all in slow cooker on high how long it would take... Lazy-cook-itis.

I've been a bad dog mamma and a poor fundraiser today and not walked the pupster either but daughter has gone out so I may not be able to today now. The dog doesn't seem to mind in fairness and we have a big garden, I'm fortunate she seems quite happy as long as she gets lots of walks across a week and doesn't seem to mind the odd quieter day. I think it helps we have several overlapping routines so she doesn't expect the same thing to happen every day at the same time. She's curled up asleep on the sofa right now so I think she's quite happy with life.

Well I'm gonna stop rambling for the moment, check up on my other notifications and messages then go for a rummage to plan for dinner, perhaps snaffle a few macademia's and consider throwing all my stuff in the slow cooker and see what happens.

@ladyfelsham if borrowbox works for you probably no need to add overdrive, I've found it tricky to navigate and the libby app that worked on my phone was more fluid to work but didn't allow downloads, which is the advantage for overdrive. It doesn't work so intuitively but you can download stuff which is better for me as I use audible a lot when out and about and don't want a data bill.

Staffing is a nightmare in care places. I remember working in one and being the only staff on the nightshift with 40 residents. Most of whom needed bed care and getting out on commodes periodically It isn't allowed anymore, I don't think. I left on maternity leave and never went back. I also have hot x buns in the freezer that have been declined by the only people in the house who have the weight to eat them.

1 staff for 40 that's horrendous, surely not legal!

Person led care is the buzzword now so we are trying to give people the lifestyle they would choose wherever possible, within the limits of their health, ability and safety. We do our best. Typically on a properly staffed night we have 3 staff downstairs looking after up to 29 residents, upstairs around the same, and we have a nurse looking after the whole building. I'm most often downstairs. A quick count in my head would say at the moment we have 4 independants who can get up to toilet etc unaided, but may forget the time and get dressed at 3am. We try to encourage them back to bed which may or may not happen, it's up to them. We have several inbetweenies, who can walk but are fall risks so they have call mats that 'buzz' when their feet touch the floor, we then attend and help them to use toilet/commode whichever is appropriate for them. We have one lady who is incontinent for urine but not faeces but has no use of her legs so when she wants a poo we have to use the hoist to let her use commode, then hoist her back to bed, but that's better for her than doing it in a pad when she still has that control. We have several others who are typically in bed all night. We check them every 2 hours if they haven't buzzed for anything, checking their pads, changing their positions, changing bedding when necessary, offering drinks, bringing snacks etc. It's a very fast paced night regularly with full staff I can't begin to imagine how you managed.

It was hard work. The residents were also encourage to do as they liked. So part of the night shift including rounding some up from the local pub and various social events. The owner of the care home did that cos obviously I couldn't leave. He'd drop them off then go home. Then we had others who couldn't do anything for themselves at all. Most were ready for bed when I got there but if they didn't want to go they would still be in day clothes. I also baked on the night shift for the following day between buzzers and rounds and at Christmas nursed 6 turkeys all night in the big ovens and chopped all the veg. Night shift also had to tidy the massive living room, hoover and do any outstanding laundry. I was on my own every night for nearly a year then I think the law changed cos one other staff member ended up with me.

Having said all that I loved the job. We had some right characters. I left cos a lady fell and broke her hip on my watch. Everything unravelled very quickly. Her relatives, were understandably, furious but nice to me about it but I felt culpable for a long time. I had one other staff with me most nights after that but I still felt it wasn't safe. We got a couple in who tried to get out all the time and were very agile.:eek: One climbed out the ground floor bedroom window in winter and was outside in the garden in just her nightie. It was freezing cold and the garden was absolutely massive and she ran right to the other end and it took me 30 minutes to bribe her to come back in. All the while I was worried she'd get hypothermia and worried what was going on back at the ranch so to speak. Stress, stress,stress. So when I knew I was expecting I decided to leave.

I have considered doing it again but I only liked night shifts and I can't really do that in my current situation.

Last edited:
It's a really tough job to do, it has absolute heartbreak and total joy. It's one I could never do and admire anyone who does.

Hey guys, I've not been the best last night I've definitely eaten more than I should and things that I shouldn't. I think it's partly knowing the next 2 nights are going to be hard going. We were already going to be short anyway but another person has called sick so we're down 2 staff now. They may manage to source help but I don't know. It's definitely getting worse.

But... was thinking today. How bad is it that I am letting thoughts of something that hasn't happened yet, even may not happen power over what I put in my mouth?

The very thought of a bad night duty in advance is enough to make me hungry. I need to learn to fight this.

Having said that, I've still not fallen off the rails like I would have a year or so ago, so I'm congratulating myself for failing less :woohoo: have to appreciate the small triumphs after all.

I'm making no promises for the next 2 nights, but I will try.

Going back to the care home chatter, we also do cleaning at night, we tidy and sweep the lounge and small kitchen, clean all the chairs and wheelchairs, do laundry and dishes. Since covid happened we have additional things to do, each shift we have to spray all the doors, switches, furniture, curtains etc with a biocidal spray.

I love looking after these residents, but I need to be able to go home feeling good about it. Perhaps things will level out, I hope so.

3 more nights on, then 9 off, not that I'm counting :rolleyes:

I'm still rebelling and eating stuff I shouldn't, bad night shifts.

In fairness last night wasn't all bad at all, for the first time I've ever seen they actually took in some agency staff. That's never happened in the 2.5 years I've worked there. So in actual fact it went fairly well.

Today should help me a bit I still need to stay awake, take son to school and walk the dog before I can sleep but as son is off to his Dad's after school I don't need to get up at 1430 like I usually do, I can hopefully sleep a bit longer. Tonight we might be 1 short but should manage ok with that as our nurse says she is ahead now with her stuff so can help us tonight.

Tomorrow morning I won't have son to worry about before OR after school so after a doggy walk I can doze all day if I want lol.

Need to get properly back on track.

Yesterdays steps ended up being just under 17000, I've still kept up walking to work/school/anywhere I can. I'm on 4622 for today at the moment, but have school walk, dog walk and walk to work, as well as at work later so it will end up well over 10k I expect.

Yep, I admire the amount of walking you get done. I get from the car park to the office and think I've done great🙄

Back