Crazy life of Chilli

lol. Yesterdays steps were 12302 and so far today I'm on 4302. It helps that;

a) I have a dog
b) we are only a 10-15 min walk to school for son
c) it's only a 10-15 min walk to work
d) I walk a lot during my shifts

so it all adds up.

I noticed today, I think my feet hurt a little less than they did... Hopefully even the small amount of weight loss is helping. I also noticed I didn't have heartburn at work over last couple of runs of shifts. I frequently was getting heartburn at work before.

Still nibbling things I shouldn't at work, but not in the quantities I would have before, I'd not be surprised if I stay the same or gain a little on Friday though. Never mind, only one more nightshift then off for 9 :D

Sleep time soon, dog walk later as I don't have to pick my son up from school today. I really like walking at twilight, and soon that will be too late as the days get longer!

had a dog walk this evening just under 4km, steps now on 10476. Will be more by the time I walk to work and start my shift too, last night on thankfully as I've never managed more than 4 hours sleep per day this run of shifts so I'm looking forward to a good sleep soon.

I decided I needed to make an effort this evening and eat before work, perhaps I'll eat less I shouldn't later. I had half a cucumber sliced in half seeds scooped out, which I ate because it's such a nice part of a cucumber lol. I filled each piece with grated cheese, salad cream, sliced tomato on top and wrapped the two pieces in ham. They were yummy.

Hi Chilli,
I’m mid-forties, bmi of 36ish, Scotland and dog owner too! I hope you get some healthy sleep, shifts aren’t good for our bodies at the best of times and good weight loss seems to need more sleep which I find odd.
I’m walking the dog for a couple of hours along our beach tomorrow morning then gardening...hoping I’ll see even a tiny loss weighing in on Friday!

Good Luck @MrsTeacup hope you get a loss on Friday, I love taking my dog to the beach as well but I have to drive there so we only go once in a while for now. There are plenty local walks here but now that son is back at school we'll go a bit further now and then.

I was soooo tired last night, glad that's my run of shifts over now until saturday 3rd April. Where is the year going?

ok so, I ended up distracted and ran late so had to drive to work last night, but my steps were still up to 12154 by midnight. On just under 5000 now but I'll walk the dog tonight and get myself at least up at 10000.

I was so tired last night. I did 6 shifts this time as was covering for someone on Friday but now things should settle back to a 5 night fortnight, so I'm wondering if it matters really if I'm not 100% on nightshift but do well the rest of the fortnight. I don't care if my loss is slow provided it moves in the right direction.

I was sent a link a while ago for a free hello fresh box, which I took delivery off yesterday. It looks lovely and seems like a fun way to try new recipes. It's too expensive for me to buy all the time but I'm thinking I may get one box per month. it's clean food albeit not low carb typically, but if we find things we like I can adapt for myself, I want to encourage the kids to try different things. The more you take the cheaper it is and the portion sizes look pretty good, so I'm booking a box next month for 2 people x 5 meals, it will cost around £40, but it means I won't need much other shopping that week. I'm hoping the 2 portions can be stretched to 3, even if I add extras from our own food stocks.

we're going to try speedy chicken noodles tonight.

at dinner tonight I had less of the noodles and more of the chicken, mangetout and green peppers, the kids had more noodles. We could easily have fed a 4th person, so I think getting the portions for 2 people will definitely feed us 3! The kids liked them but I've to make them different next time. Take the veg out - my kids are funny they will eat veg but has to be certain ones and some are preferred raw at the side rather than in the dish, but they both ate enough to know I can adapt this for us, and it was easy to make. I have a mexican chilli wedges and a cottage pie left from the hello fresh box. I have shopping to pick up tomorrow, so what I'll do is make my wedges from butternut squash instead of potato, and make the cottage pie in portions and do some cauli mash or something for mine.

I've been out for a 5km dog walk, so steps now 13497 :D

I'll be off to bed soon. Tomorrow is weigh day but I'm expecting a sts at best to be honest, I've definitely not stuck to things this week. As of tomorrow I'm back on it though, I think also the issue with my nightshifts is that I struggle to have the fasting hours I have best of intentions but the mix of tiredness and stresses make it harder to juggle. Anyways... I work 10 nights out of 28, so if I could stick to this for 18 nights and be a bit wonky for 10, I'll bet I'd still edge forwards, and that's really all I want. If I can end every month a little lighter than I started that's grand. This will be the beginning of week 6, so I will continue for another 2 weeks, then my loose plan is to continue lower carb/minimal processed foods but without limiting food and with intermittent fast of 16/8 hours, and add in 1x24 hour fast per week. Will see how things go.

That sounds like a very positive and long-term view; a bit each month is a healthy way to lose and far more achievable than fads and extremes. And you need to make sure you’ve the energy to deal with night shifts.

Morning all, as expected Sts for me today but thats OK, all measurements back to same as prebloated 43, 37, 48.

Onwards and upwards! We'll... downwards, you know what I mean!

Today... dog/school walk then pick up shopping, then spend a couple hours with daughter before school walk again.

Food, nothing till lunch! I might make soup. I've still got some krisprolls in freezer. Probably something from the hello fresh stock for dinner.

Have a lovely day all :D

Sometimes measurements show a difference when scales don’t, which is so weird when you think about it. I went up and down the same 1lb for a while but had to tighten my watch strap twice in that time 🤣🤣. Our bodies are pretty amazing.

yes it's crazy @MrsTeacup, I only measured the bust waist and hips, but I've noticed my jacket a bit looser so perhaps my arms/back are a bit less fatty too. I've no desire to measure and compare every inch on an ongoing basis though, the basic overview will do!

I wish I’d measured at beginning but I was worried if I hadn’t done it accurately and it then showed a false increase I’d get dispirited. I only go on the scales once a week max though as it’s a long haul.

I made soup (chicken stock, lentils, butterbeans, carrot, cauliflower, onion and garlic) I didn't bother having anything to dunk. I have also had some nuts and dark chocolate, and for dinner it was loaded mexican chilli wedges from the hello fresh box. I made squash wedges for me instead of potato and really enjoyed it. With a couple of moderations the kids say they will like it better too so a success! There is loads of chilli left too that I could have perhaps tomorrow or freeze.

Steps sitting just under 10000 at the moment but daughter wants kiwi's I forgot to put in the main shopping so I'm going to nip to local shop soon which will take my steps over for sure.

I'm feeling pretty tired still so I think I may have an early sleepy after nipping to the shop.

I usually make some most weeks, depending on how fast I get through it lol. I'll probably have some for lunch again, and there will be perhaps 2 or 3 portions for the freezer.

It'd deceptively beautiful here today the sun is glorious but it's only 2 degrees C. I'll be heading off out with the dog soon, I'm up and about earlier than usual for a saturday but I just was wakeful so got up. Today will be dog walk and then possibly if it doesn't feel too freezing later I'll pull out my trailer tent to the front of the house and pop it up to clean. I want to sell it.

The trailer tent seemed like a good idea, a cheap and easy way to holiday after my husband left and I wanted to have some fun with my 2 kids. It did work out to a degree, but my daughter had a bit of an adhd meltdown on one trip and I ended up putting her on a train home, she really needs a room she can go to be alone in. Having said that, she's almost 2 years older than she was on that trip and a lot of the emotions we were all juggling back then (it was only a few months after my split) has faded so who knows if it would work for us really or not. Our atmosphere and relationship at home is certainly great most of the time now.

Mostly, I realised that assembling and managing this thing is at the very edge of my ability, which I find stressful. I'm only 5ft tall and as an ex engineer I'm very able technically, but my body has limits. We're not born campers... We did have a couple of trips in it that were fun alongside the fated difficult one, but if I'm honest what I'd really love is a campervan!

Anyway, all of this isn't especially relevant. What IS relevant is that in July I need money to pay my final car payment, and if I could sell this, I would be much nearer that goal. Now is typically a good time to sell I should really have been on the case a couple of weeks ago ahead of easter but if I can get it up for sale now theres a chance someone might snap it up for easter hols, or at least over the next couple of months for summer. I have accepted that holidays won't really happen for us until at least 2022, when I'll be a lot more stable financially. Perhaps even 2023. I am not complaining, we have a lovely life here and hopefully by summer the lockdowns will at least be more eased and we can go day trips to a few places.

Anyways, enough of that ramble. I think I might have a 2nd cuppa before my walkies lol.

Food for today will be... probably soup, then the last of the hello fresh meals which is a cottage pie, I'll adapt my portion to exclude the potato.

I have also defrosted the pork mince I had, to have a stab at making the sausages/meatballs/patties or whichever works to use in place of shop bought sausages, so I'll have a go at that tonight with a view to eating some tomorrow. I can always freeze them cooked in any case to use in different recipes.

Oh by the way I found a random note in a notebook, from June last year from one of my many attempts at starting to lose weight that went nowhere. I was 186lbs so I obviously went up a bit, and now I'm down a bit. Albeit not much lol. In any case I'm definitely the lightest I've been in a year, probably 2 years, and honestly probably the first time I've properly addressed my weight in about 10 years. The times in the middle where I've actually lost weight, sometimes considerable amounts have not been done in a healthy manner not even deliberate, it's been an accidental side effect of anxiety and inability to eat much for months on end, and THOSE days thankfully disappeared when my husband left 😆

Have a lovely day miniminers.

I only have one child likes camping. I have and still do camp all over Europe. The latest in the year I have camped is November and the earliest March. My mate in Europe camped right through winter there last year so he could get a place to live to get residency. It was minus 10 some nights. When I went down to 9 stone I called it my divorce diet. it's much harder to lose it when we are happier.

Last edited:
Good to read yr update - and that you are shedding weight in a healthy way now. My mindset is that am now on a way of eating for life. Coming here will help me track my behaviour, and by visiting daily, it will keep my mind focused on making the right decisions.

I think yr tent camper will sell well. Where will you post it?

I just heard a week for 4 in Butlins is £4,500!

I'm struggling financially as we didn't qualify for financial assistance. We'll be earning again when our airbnb guest suite reopens in April - which is a relief. I'm going to use YNAB - You Need A Budget - to manage my finances going forward. So I've started watching some youtube videos ...and wierdly am getting excited about it.

Butlins is HOW much?!!! That's crazy money, who can afford that!

I like renting cottages for a long weekend/week - or AirBNB - but now just thinking, my last holiday away was years and years ago, before I lived in Italy! Time to change that. I really fancy a week in a market town in France, to start with.

I was never really interested in travel but I wonder retrospectively if I was too scared to dream. The only place I have ever had a desire to get to was machu picchu. I love Scotland and there is much here I've yet to explore. However what with life in my 40's being nothing like I planned or expected I've allowed myself to realise there is much possible for me... so I plan to travel as much as I can, as soon as my finances allow it. I'm not interested in hotels and beaches, I want history and mystery, culture and places of interest.

I'm drawn so much to this, that I fully expect to sell my house in 10 years or so, when my son is old enough. Buy the smallest house we can manage to live in... take the profit and spend it traveling!

I planned traveling on a smaller scale much sooner tho, with and without my kids. I expect to take some trips alone too, as it won't always be possible or of interest to friends depending on where I'm off that the time.

There will be new friends to find along the way I'm sure. Life is surely beckoning.

Back