Crazy life of Chilli

@AliGal I get it, since I've had to count my pennies I've become really excited about anything I find that's inventive and cheap, I don't think I'll ever let my money run away from me again in the future!

I'm drawn so much to this, that I fully expect to sell my house in 10 years or so, when my son is old enough. Buy the smallest house we can manage to live in... take the profit and spend it traveling!

I planned traveling on a smaller scale much sooner tho, with and without my kids. I expect to take some trips alone too, as it won't always be possible or of interest to friends depending on where I'm off that the time.

There will be new friends to find along the way I'm sure. Life is surely beckoning.

Oh my goodness it surely is - what a wonderful thing to realise that the world really is your oyster :). I have travelled for many years, and have such fab memories - from el cheapo coach trips with fab old crusties, to posh hols with mates, to solo hostel trips to various places in Europe. A friend wants to go to Corfu (we both loved the Durrells) so that's also on my to do list - ditto Egypt and bits of the Middle East - like you I love history, and have always wanted to travel along the Nile in a dahabiya - like this - https://www.nile-dahabiya.com/

yes for now it will be a compromise as I need to work around the kids, but hopefully I can give them a few memorable experiences as well, my daughter will be 18 really before I can but she will still be welcome to tag along if she wants, son will still only be 10, but I have a lot more possibility in my life than I realised that's for sure.

I'll have a snoop at your link shortly @ladyfelsham

well today didn't quite go to plan, not that it matters lol and not that I've over-eaten really either.

I took the dog for a walk (7.7km) my steps are over 12000, phone not in reach to check. Then I had lunch which was instead of soup the left over chilli from last night, I didn't have anything with it just the chilli. Then I had a really long bath. Then I couldn't be bothered doing anything else. I've had some dark chocolate and I've had some nuts but not another meal, the main naughtiness was drinking the last bottle of WKD that's been sitting since beginning of the year lol.

I'm not hungry, but I'm tired and not sure why really given that I only did my walk. And it's only 8pm!

My skin has been iffy this past year, flared up during the 1st lockdown, a mix of my old psoriasis that I haven't had since my 20's, and fungal patches. I put the psoriasis down the the stresses of covid, but it's not in the usual places I used to get it - I had stubborn patches on elbows, knees and scalp in my youth. I do have a teeny patch on one knee and have a bit on my scalp, but I also have a few patches just on my body which I never had before. I figured I'd just wait it out and it would pass when the stresses did - that may still be the case, historically it was always a few months after any crisis that it would settle back down.

The fungal patches I put down to being run down and sitting around more with no school runs and not being able to get out and about much, as well as... well being a bit fat lol. They were stubborn and responded to different things some patches responded to one cream, whilst others didn't but responded to another cream instead, a patch under my breast refuses to respond 100% to anything. It's better than it was but not completely gone.

So I was reading up today about menopause and perimenopause cos I'm 45 and figured maybe it's just about my skin getting older etc, and was googling about psoriasis as well. I've ordered some vitamins, Seven seas Perfect Woman plus.

I guessed my vitamin D should be fine, after all I'm out with the dog a lot and to be honest I don't often wear sun cream unless it's properly hot (this is Scotland lol) but my reading suggests that in Scotland there is only enough of the right rays between April and October for us to make the right amounts of Vit D, so in fact most people could benefit from a supplement. Lack of vit D doesn't cause psoriasis, but apparently a lack of vit D is commonly found among sufferers, the indication being that vit D helps the skin to be healthy generally. I've also bought a medicated powder. If I'm not seeing improvement over the next couple months I'll probably speak to the doc but from what I can gather there isn't much they can do. Psoriasis is tricky to treat and I've tried all the usual fungal creams. Perhaps they can check me out for anything underlying though.

I would have gone sooner but in general the fungal side cleared up, just the one little bit left, and the psoriasis I figured would just clear up on its own. In my youth I ended up abandoning treatments as none of them worked, but that was 20+ years ago...

if anyone knows any miracle creams let me know!

well good morning to ya all, hope the UK people aren't missing their hour in bed too much. At the weekend when I'm not at work I tend to just get up when I wake up, and my kids sleep late so it's not really an issue. I'm sat drinking my usual morning cuppas before the dog walk. I probably won't go as far today, need to get this trailer tent on the go!

I weighed myself this morning and I'm 1lb down but I won't count it officially as it's past friday, but it's good to see the scales have moved! Only 2 more to end my 5lb chunk and start the next one! 8lbs off in around 5 or 6 weeks not too bad. (I've lost track haha)

At least, I'm lighter than I was, just over 13st now... 2lbs off will bring me into the 12's as well as my 5lb chunk. Can you tell I'm a geek with numbers? lol Maybe I will have a whoosh and loose 2 by Friday... maybe not 😆 It doesn't matter really. Forwards is forwards.

I had a fab sleep in thanks, no need to get up except to feed the cats lol.

Re fungal creams, I've used Daktarin in the past - assume they worked - but it's very common so sure you've tried it. And I take Vit D every day, my hair started coming out in great handfuls, the GP assumed because I'm not out every day and the sun has been barely about - and it's definitely helping.

yes I tried daktarin, I might need to get the antifungal tablets rather than a cream, but I'll give it a while longer. I don't like using medicines unless I need to (but no issue when I really do) My vitamins have arrived and I've had my first dose, so we will see. it's only a months supply but I can sign up for a monthly delivery if I think they are right for me.

Been a funny sort of day here. I turned the car around so I could hook on the trailer tent and a bit fell off the car, just a cover but I'll need to remove it or fix it I can't drive like that lol. Then I pulled the trailer tent out to find it has a flat tyre, nothing is ever simple is it? So I had to faff about removing the wheel to take to the garage tomorrow. Meaning I couldn't assemble or clean the thing. Also As I can't drive my car, I'll need to get my trolley out to take the wheel to the garage lol.

I'm mostly very able and it's a failing that I never ask for help, but the one person I would ask now and then isn't home for another 12 days, so I need to see what I can do with car tomorrow, or do without it but I have my usual click and collect booked for Friday.

Food has been some dark choc, soup with low carb krisprolls, some nuts and the last hello fresh meal which is a cottage pie. It was not a hit with the children. I'm having my portion now with mashed squash and cheese on top it's not bad but no point getting that one again if the kids don't eat it.

I feel like an early night and movie in bed but I need to wait cos I forgot to do laundry and I need to hang the clothes up to dry or my son will have no school stuff to wear. So I need to stay up an hour. I may go have a shower tho.

Contemplating cutting my hair, just attacking it with a pair of scissors... I know the hairdressers are open soon, but I can't really justify the cost of a proper cut :oops: :D I can make hats if it all goes badly lol. But then, maybe I want to grow it long I'm undecided. Perhaps I need one of those asymmetrical styles long on one side and short on the other to appeal to my adhd side, but then... that would infuriate my mathematical side that likes things to be level. What's a crazy chick to do?

Also, if I cut it, it will remove all the bleached areas that I like adding funky colours too, and I'd just have plain dark hair. Which makes me a little sad... I'm not sure I'm up to a home bleach kit.

I had a hair cut last August, but I just can't afford such a treat just now. I'm not overly precious about my hair, I've been cutting my fringe for years anyway, even if it's a bit wonky it always grows back lol. I really am toying with the chop chop 😆

Well I've been fairly lazy today but not entirely. A wee 3km walk with the pup after walking son to school. I've managed to clip the bit that fell off the car back on... it needs replacement screws and clips but I suspect it's been like that for some time, so I'm sure a bit longer won't matter it feels pretty secure how I've fixed it.

I took the trailer tent wheel along to the garage and it's fixed, I don't know how much it's costing yet I'll find out when I pick it up tomorrow, but at least the day hasn't been entirely unproductive.

For lunch I had slices of cheese and tomato like little bread-less sandwiches, and cucumber sticks wrapped in ham, dunked in salad cream.
It was entirely acceptable and I couldn't eat all I'd put on my plate.

Not sure about dinner was supposed to be roast chicken but it's still in the freezer. kids want tuna pasta. I still have the pork to make 'sausages' and that really needs using.

feeling a bit... meh.

I freaked myself out last night thinking about the dentist, just going to admit this all here. I've not been to the dentist for probably about 14 years. I'm 45 and still have all my teeth so I know it's not that bad, but I'm embarrassed. I'm ashamed I've left it this long, my gums are a mess and I wouldn't be surprised if it's too late to save all of my teeth. I traumatised myself looking up the worst of teeth on the internet (don't judge me I was having an anxious spiralling moment of thinking the worst)

I comforted myself by realising my teeth aren't the worst... but then catastrophised and decided they probably would be. Any day now.

I comforted myself again by saying well it doesn't matter I can't afford to go anyway. So that made it easy to just opt out. No point worrying about stuff I can't fix.

Then I remembered I can get free dental treatment as I'm on universal credit. I can't this month as I earned too much but that isn't typical, I covered a few shifts for a friend.

Then I debated well I'm not in any pain or anything and covid means they're busy, and blah blah blah

Then I said to myself (in my best counsellors voice) well you know - is it going to be any less shame for you if you leave it another while? your teeth and gums aren't going to get any better you know... wouldn't it be better to start this process as soon as possible, next month when your wages allow you to claim it for free? the sooner the better means you might get to keep a few teeth you know... (I'll probably get to keep all of them, at least most of them, I'm being dramatic)

I'm ashamed, I'm uncomfortable, I'm anxious. There. I've said it all.

I don't even know what made me think of it last night.

Perhaps I'm just finally at a place in my life when I'm ready to actually heal myself properly, in all ways. I know I need to find a dentist. I don't have to like it... I don't usually care what people think of me anyway, that's just an excuse to avoid it.

I know here isn't really the place for this, but I know I'm pretty much anonymous so it's easier.

Dentists have seen it all before - so it's good you can book in for free treatment. It was really difficult finding a dentist in the rural area where we live. We could get appointments at the nearest major towns - an hour and a quarter to 2 hours drive away. Public transport journey require 2 or 3 changes (buses and coach or train). There were private ones nearer. I had to ring round to find an NHS dentist. Only one would put us on a waiting list. We got called back last year - so that was good. We've lucked out. It is a great dentists - just 15 miles away - with free parking.

I think part of sorting out weight loss for me is also resolving the other things I've been tolerating or surviving - sorting out my finances & my home. Thank you for sharing, Chilli Queen.

I freaked myself out last night thinking about the dentist, just going to admit this all here. I've not been to the dentist for probably about 14 years. I'm 45 and still have all my teeth so I know it's not that bad, but I'm embarrassed. I'm ashamed I've left it this long, my gums are a mess and I wouldn't be surprised if it's too late to save all of my teeth. I traumatised myself looking up the worst of teeth on the internet (don't judge me I was having an anxious spiralling moment of thinking the worst)

We had a dentist but when we moved house they didn't register our new address I gave them so they kicked us off their books when we didn't turn up for appointments they sent to the old one. Since then my teeth started crumbling. I broke one in half with a bone left in a stir fry in Berlin and one of my front ones has a chip in it. I can't get a dentist anywhere. I got one for my son's wisdom teeth but it took 2 years and it is 2 hours away on a train. They have no space for his brother or me. I bought a battery operated scraper/cleaner for mine. The bloke next door takes his out with pliers if they are hurting. I know what you mean tho. I am dreading the day I actually get a dentist. I am very embarrassed about my teeth.

I can understand your embarrassment about the dentist. I had to bite the bullet and go to the dentist. I have a condition called Sjogrens one of the symptoms is the drying of secretions . So little saliva so my teeth despite good oral hygiene are rotting and breaking before my eyes. I found the dentist kind and understanding. They understood my fear and embarrassment. I had to be referred to hospital as I am on a blood thinner. They are great and never thought I would say that. They are good with nervous patients like me. The dentist wont make you feel bad. Tell them how you feel and they will work at your pace letting you know what they are doing so you feel in control.

Thankyou all for the reassuring messages about the dentist. As far as I know it isn't too bad to find one here, I guess I will find out soon. I think I just needed to vocalise the fact I need to go, to bring the necessity from the back of my mind forwards. It is never too late to improve on our health, whether that be fitness, weight or teeth.

I'm sure you are all right, they will have seen it all, I'm sure many worse than me too. It's all just excuses not to go, not to start, not to deal with it.

I just need to grit my teeth (not too tightly!) and get on with it.

Now for todays tales. Me and the doggo took an almost 6km walk, and with school strolls included I'm back up at over 13000 steps today (yesterday was just over 10000, Sunday was around 1500 lol lazy day)

I went to pick up my wheel from the garage for the trailer tent and thankfully it's only cost £12, for a new valve. So I need to get my bum in gear tomorrow and clean the thing now that it's safe to assemble. It's a bit windy for it tonight... but I did put the wheel back on so at least that's done. I had popped the fallen bit back on the car, it's fallen off again and I've popped it back up and I can sense this will continue unless I do something else! So I'm gonna tie wrap the stupid thing on for now, and in a rare moment of acceptance, I'm going to ask a friend for help. Which is a very rare thing and a failing I know. I should ask for more help I know this. The friend I would ask isn't home at the moment, for approx another 2 weeks, but tie wraps will do for the moment.

So all things considered, the drama's of recent days haven't amounted to much have they? the joys of an anxious mind. Panic about teeth when I've nothing to worry about, car, trailer tent - £12 and a little effort to get the wheel off and on that's all it took. Things feel bigger at the time.

I finally got around to attempting this... https://basementbakehouse.com/2016/12/syn-free-homemade-sausages/

I made mine like meatballs, and baked them in the oven, then I popped them in slow cooker with chicken soup, onions, garlic, curry powder and a pack of black beans I had left over from my hello fresh delivery. I expected them to crumble in the slow cooker but they kept their shape fine. They do not taste like sausage however... but in this sausagey curry it was ok. I'd not make it like that again tho. I think if I'd made them smaller and fried them it may have tasted better, frying gives a different flavour to baking. So I may give them another go, try adding different things to them. I think round flat patties is probably the best way forwards to fry and get extra flavouring in that way. Anyways that was what I had for lunch, and some nuts.

scales this morning showed 0.5 up from days before but still 0.5 down from friday.

Not sure what we're having tonight as AGAIN I forgot to take the chicken out of the freezer.

I feel like going to bed already lol.

Lunch sounds lovely and sounds simple to make. Thankyou for introducing me to a new website with slimming world recipes. I have gold medals in making mountains out of mole hills. Hubby reckons that if I haven't got something to worry about I invent something 🤣

Your doing great on the daily exercise your furry baby must love the long walks

Agree to all about dentists. If s/he makes you feel bad -find another one. Mr OH can't keep his jaw open for a long time, and only saw a new dentist once a few years ago.

I don't think that sausage recipe has the seasoning right. I've just enjoyed myself by thinking about what I might add: nutmeg, garlic powder, smoked paprika, dried thyme, cayenne pepper, smoke paprika, onion powder, fennel seeds, maybe a little powdered up sage or bay leaf and if I had some, mace. Chilli powder or flakes, Greek or Spanish spice mix, harissa paste, mustard powder, ground coriander, a wee bit of ginger powder & white pepper. And being keto, fatty pork!

@purpleorc the crazy furball is sat looking forlorn out of the window as if she's never had a walk :roofles: She just loves it. SHe is a crossed black labrador/english setter and we adore her. I picked her up the week my husband moved out 2 years ago as an 8 wk old pup and she's just been the absolute best distraction for me and the kids.

@AliGal I think I need you to make me some sausages!

I do love doggos 😍

Well I ate chicken goujons for dinner. I cooked potato waffles for daughter and they looked so good! I managed to avoid them tho.

I also kicked my bum in gear and scrubbed the tarpaulins off the trailer tent so that's good, and I am finishing the day on just over 15000 steps :)

Night everyone and thanks for being around x

I am like you I love dogs. But our staffie is riddled with arthritis as she was born with slipping knee caps which had to be operated on. But the first operation failed. But second operation worked. But cant do much in the way of exercise. Her mind is willing but her body isn't. A bit like mine :rotflmao:

@purpleorc aw that poor wee pooch! Staffies get a bad press sometimes but the ones I've known have all been beautiful natures.

For those who perhaps don't know I've been doing a March Dog Walk challenge for Dementia UK, walking 100km with doggo in march. I've less than 4km to finish it today, so that will definitely get done. I've raised £100, which doesn't sound like much but I think everyone is struggling at the moment, and in any case every donation helps. Collectively the dog walkers have raised loads.

My weight is showing 1lb down again since Friday :D

My other plan for today is to get the rest of the trailer tent cleaned, emptied and up for sale. Looks like rain but that doesn't matter. I took it down in a thunderstorm once... Although I may need to watch a youtube video to remind me how to do it as it's not been used in 2 years.

Right must go for now, school walk time.

Back