Cream alternatives for cooking with

spo

I have a lovely curry recipe that I would like to adapt for SW but unfortunately it involves boiling then simmering a sauce of cream or Elmlea for at least 10 minutes.

Are there any alternatives that will boil for this time without splitting?

TIA

No. Anything SW friendly is low in fat and will split if you boil it. It is the fat which holds everything together and thickens when you boil cream.I would use the cream (maybe less of it) and syn it. (I wouldn't use Elmlea if you paid me!)

Quark works pretty well with heat although I am not sure about simmering it for 10 mins. A muller light coconut greek yog (1/2 syn) works well when mixed in at the very end of cooking ?

I have a lovely curry recipe that I would like to adapt for SW but unfortunately it involves boiling then simmering a sauce of cream or Elmlea for at least 10 minutes. Are there any alternatives that will boil for this time without splitting? TIA

How about the alpro soya single cream substitute...i'm not keen on anything soya but this actually tastes like cream! It's lower in fat but still has syns but obviously not as many! I haven't tried simmering it for 10 minutes but it holds together well when i put it in sauces and they tend to simmer for a bit after adding the cream!

You could try fat free Greek yogurt or even quark, but if you add these to the curry, especially whilst its hot, it would split as it needs a high level of fat to hold it all together.

I second the alpro cream use.
100mls of the chilled single cream contains 125 cals so I would count 6.5 syns. I have used this a lot and nobody can tell the difference. X

Thanks, that’s what I suspected. It works out at about 7 syns each if I use a small tub of cream although I used to use a large one!

I'll research the alpro though, thanks!

Thanks, that's what I suspected. It works out at about 7 syns each if I use a small tub of cream although I used to use a large one! I'll research the alpro though, thanks!

7 syns each isn't too bad if you really enjoy the meal. You are still left with 8 syns for the day. What I've learnt on slimming world is to syn something and really enjoy it rather than try and replicate it, only to be disappointed.

I think you're right Louise, it just might not be as saucy as I usually use a big tub of cream which would be 14 syns each!

I still make my fish pie the same way which is 7 syns + 1 HEA so i might as well try the curry!

The alpro one is working out at about 6syns each so don't think it's really worth it!

Thanks for all the replies

Back