Cunning supermarkets!

Kikikisses

Silver Member
I was looking through at super speed and speed foods this week to see if I could get accustomed to buying at least a good few each time I go shopping.

I went into Asda, LIDLs and Somerfield on different occassions and everything that was superspeed/speed appeared to be suspiciously more expensive than other foods. I know beans are super cheap but I'm talking fruit and veg. I really wish I lived near a farm store for more reasonable prices!

Any one else noticed this horror?

I'm afraid so! I tend to buy lots of frozen veggies, and fruit though, and they're not quite so expensive, compared to fresh somehow! It's a real shame we're penalised cash-wise for trying to eat healthily, isn't it? My dad used to grow his own veggies, and had raspberry, strawberry, rhubarb patches, but he's getting on a bit now and hasn't managed to keep his garden up, if he lived closer I'd try to get the garden back into shape and get some freebies into the bargain! Our garden isn't really very big to get much in way of "crops" out of! lol

I've got friends that grow quite a bit and they only have small gardens, of which some is taken over by kids stuff. They manage tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers (in hanging baskets!!) and quite a few other things. Keep meaning to try it myself

There are always bargains in fruit and vegetables if you look carefully. All the supermarkets have some special offers, and Morrisons and Aldi do a different set of very cheap offers every week (although the Aldi quality can be a bit hit and miss).

Also, prices should start to come down a bit now that the weather is a bit better. It has been a dreadful time for food producers in the first few months of this year.

Back