curried goat

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by devonbabe, 19 January 2007 Social URL.

1. devonbabe

devonbabe Silver Member

Diet:
    CD
    has anyone got a good recipe for this please?

xxx

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    Only one from the BBC website. Have you got some goat meat? It's something that I'd love to try as I've heard that it's lower fat that chicken! low cholestral, high in iron and taste delicious. Did you know that 80% of the world consumes more goat than any other meat? I 'kid' you not :D Just seems underused over here for some reason:confused:
    • 900g goat's meat on the bone, chopped into 2.5cm cubes
    • juice of 1 lime
    • 1 tbsp Salt
    • freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 Scotch bonnet pepper, chopped
    • thyme sprigs
    • 1/2 tsp allspice berries, freshly ground
    • 1 bunch spring onion, chopped
    • 1 onion, chopped
    • 3 garlic cloves, crushed
    • vegetable oil, for frying
    • 450g Potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
    • 3 Tomatoes
    • long grain or basmati rice, to serve
    For the jamaican curry powder:

• 50g coriander seeds, dry-fried in a pan and finely ground in a pestle and mortar
    • 50g ground turmeric
    • 15g ground fenugreek
    • 50g ground ginger
    • 50g ground black pepper
    • 15g ground cardamom
    • 15g ground cinnamon
    Method

1. First make the Jamaican curry powder. Mix together the ground coriander, turmeric, fenugreek, ginger, black pepper, cardamom and cinnamon. Store in an airtight container.

2. Rub the goat meat with the lime juice. Place the goat meat in a large bowl with the salt, black pepper, Scotch bonnet, thyme leaves, allspice, 3 tablespoons of curry powder, spring onion, onion and garlic. Cover and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.

3. Heat the vegetable oil in a large, deep, heavy-based frying pan until very hot.

4. Scrape the marinade ingredients from the goat meat and reserve. Fry the meat until browned on all sides. Add the reserved marinade ingredients and fry for 2 minutes.

5. Add the potatoes and tomatoes and pour in enough water to cover the meat.

6. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours until the goat meat is tender and the gravy coats the back of a spoon.

7. Serve the goat curry with long grain or basmati rice.

4. devonbabe

devonbabe Silver Member

Diet:
    CD
    yehh, its lovely. hubby worked with a guy, whoo brought it into work once a week, after a few weeks he used to come to work with 2 tupperware boxes ( one for him one for hubby),

anyway he keep nagging me to make it.... so am off tomorrow in search of goat meat. i think i know a little shop that will have it
    i wasnt sure how long to leave it soaking up the juices..it says over night on that recipe.
    thanks for that

(i also need a recipe for rabbit)
    xxx

5. Sweetbun

Sweetbun Member

Mmmmmm that sounds devine,

I fancy some myself.

6. kandy

kandy Silver Member

Mmmmmmm i love curried goat had it in jamaica and it was lovely must leave now i am drooling will copy that recipe !!!
    Thanks for that xxx

7. B-D

B-D Full Member

Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    If you get the real scotch bonnet or habernero, you might want to use half instead of a whole 1. Also stay away from the seeds coz they cause the runs if not cooked for long enough and they are relly hot. sometimes they sting your hands.

8. devonbabe

devonbabe Silver Member

Diet:
    CD
    ohh thanks for the advice.
    a friend has given me some scotch bonnets, and he warned me about them,,so will definalty take it easy with them!

9. cah-ching

cah-ching Gold Member

Hi,

If you can't find goat meat, try mutton ..... very tasty meat. You're more likely to find goat or mutton in a Halal meat shop......

Cheerio

CC

10. Keeliewheeliebin

Keeliewheeliebin biker babe!

Start Weight:
    19st1lb
    Current Weight:
    11st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Lost(%):
    7st3lb(37.83%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet Step 3 (1000)
    ooh goat, now there's something ive not tried before.
    ............doesnt help that im a vegetarian!..but sounds tasty all the same!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.