curries

Nikkiwales

I have tried making most of the curries available on sw website and i cannot find one that i really like. Don't know if i'm doing something wrong. Does anyone have any simple yet yummy recipes​

I had the same problems as you, until I found a recipe online which I adapted to be SW friendly, and the key to it I think is that it uses pureed onions and pureed lentils.

It goes a bit like this: (roughly!)

mix together...
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp curry powder
a little water
This will make a paste.

Chop up an onion or two, and fry them in frylight for a bit.
Bung in some chicken or quorn and fry that too.
Then add in your curry paste that you've made. Stir it up.
Chuck in any other veggies you like, peppers, mushrooms, etc.

Let it fry for a little while, you might need to add a bit more water if it sticks.

Next mix together about 1/2 a pint of chicken stock (oxo cube), a couple of tbsp of vlf yog, (make sure its not too cold or it'll curdle) 2 tsp tomato puree, and your onion and lentil puree (you literally chop up some onion, as much as you want (i do 2/3 little ones), fry them a bit, add a bit of water, then blitz with a hand blender. Same for lentils, boil them a bit then whizz them up)

Mix this all together, then stir it into your curry on the hob. Again, you could add a bit more water if its too thick.

Let it simmer away on a low heat for a while, then you're supposed to stir in 1 tsp of garam masala at the end, but i'd run out so didn't bother. You can add some fresh pineapple at the end of this just before you serve and it makes it like a dhanzak. yum!

I've varied it a bit with more chilli powder, a bit of sweetner, and so far so good. The pureed onions and lentils give it an amazing "proper" curry texture, almost like a korma, but it tastes spicier and really really yummy!

The garlic, ginger and tomato paste are probably some syns, but i don't know how many and to be honest, this would serve 3/4 people so i think syns are negligable! Serve with brown rice and maybe some aloo gobi!

Good luck! xxx

The mushy pea curry is my fav.

Don't knock it till you've tried it! You can search for it in the receipes section :)

It seems that you have tried cooking recommended recipes before, so what type of curry are you looking for and not getting? Chicken, veg, meat, tomato / creamy, mild / hot etc

have you tried any of the ones from the SW Curry feast book? I've not cooked any of the mild ones as I prefer something a little more spicy, but the ones I have done have generally been excellent. (if you would like me to I could add it on here...)

There is a creamy chicken korma, and quite a few other mild ones too. The onion bhaji recipe is great too - all the right flavours but a bit odd looking!

You can make a korma quite easily by making up a normal curry then adding a little low fat yog or from frais :)

what about matt dawson's skinny korma recipe, this was on a channel 4 diet programme, I haven't had the chance to try it yet, but it got good reviews by the dieters on the telly. :D Just needs a bit of tweaking to make it sw friendly, but it wont be hard.

Skinny Korma Recipe | Food | Channel4.com

that looks yummy!"

if you subsitute spray oil for oil and 0% greek yog, you only need to syn the nuts and milk. :D

the curry i make is literally the easiest thing to make, i cube and boil chicken, drain off the water, add cooked mushrooms and onions, a full tub of very low fat natural yougurt and curry powder i could be wrong but i think it entirely free (correct me if im wrong) and its very yummy. I usually eat it with boiled rice or SW chips, it helps me steer clear of the dreaded takeaway. xx

I made a yummy veggie curry last night:

Softened some onions & garlic with frylight, then added 1 chunkily chopped red pepper, 2 chunkily chopped carrots, 4 cubed potatoes and a tin of chopped tomatoes, curry powder (to taste - I used 3 tbsp) and 200ml veg stock. Simmered it for 30 mins until carrots & potato softened. Then I added a tin of chickpeas, a handful of green beans and quorn chicken style pieces. Simmered for another 10 mins to ensure quorn & chickpeas were thoroughly warmed through and then stirred in some chopped coriander just before serving. Had it with brown rice and there was more than enough for four meals so it worked out as pretty much free on Green and Extra Easy (not sure if curry powder has to be synned though). It was delicious and dead easy. Am looking forward to having the next portion tonight!!

Back