curry paste?

Are you sure it's low synage, I like pataks (the best:D) but only use it occassionally.

You use it like curry powder but it's in paste form!

I use a couple of tablespoons when I'm making a biryani and it goes a long way...and equalled out over the portions is hardly any syns. Makes a nicer flavour/consistency than the powders, for the biryani anyway!
It's also nice to marinade your meat in it.

okay guys, when i actually said 'what do i do with it' i actually meant i dont know how to use it what so ever.. step by step instructions! lol

yes synage! - pataks tikka masala sauce 26 syns.. paste 1level table spoon 1syn!

Hi... ermm I don't know if these will be good enough instructions because I can't find the recipe but I had a really tasty vegie curry recipe. (must have been tasty because normally I hate being meat deprived lol)
Errrm... It was basically a tin of tomatoes and some curry paste with vegetables and lentils. That isn't what you asked for though.
I think it was pretty much shove everything in a pan, carrots lentils, squash etc, tinned tomatoes and curry paste (I'd guess at a tbl spoon).

I'd say if you like tomatoes then cook anything how you would a stew in tomatoes and wack in some curry paste.

LOL Fern! I'll find the link for my biryani recipe...

what i do is dry fry chicken in a frying pan with 2-3 tsp's (less if u don't want a hot curry) and in my veg, peppers, red onion, carrot, mushroom, what ever you fancy. when all cooked i stir in natural yogurt and serve. lower in fat than coconut milk

Patak's Indian recipes for indian cooking - Tandoori, Madras, Tikka curry Indian recipes

Just don't for goodness sake use the oil!

I make a marinade with it, add yogurt to the paste coat chicken breast strips and marinade for as long as you can (overnight is great), then remove strips lay on a baking tray pour a little bit of marinade over them, put in the oven for 15-20 minutes (or until cooked through) serve with lettuce, salsa and lemon as a bootiful tikka starter,

I have recently taken to making all my own curry pastes and sauces from scratch.

Takes a little more work, but my god... the flavour!! Slimming world give you a lot of the recipes, which are syn free.

Their kofte meatball recipe in Jan/feb mag was GORGEOUS. Used about 7 diff spices, but my god ... nom nom nom, :) and tbh it didnt take much of an effort to measure them out, and shove them in. Obviously a paste is just shove it in, but often their binded in oil, hence the synage, and if you make them yourself, they can be syn free :)

Last edited:
add some to soup to give it a spicier flavour. Have also added some to SW quiche, to scrambled eggs etc. I add curry/chilli flavour to most things just to enhance the flavour.

Michelle

Back