Step 1 Sole Source Day 6 SS 100%- Bleeding Gums

PeggyLou

Hi, Day 6 and all has been fine but today I have noticed that my gums are bleeding on brushing at quite a few points. Any link with VLCD does any one know? Can't seem to find it in Google but I not looked in depth. Been dentist recently and all fine. Any advice or experiences greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Actually what is evident on the little research I have done, is that bleeding gums is linked with poor nutrition! I guess that would be obvious but I know I getting all the daily vitamins etc via the products so that can't be the reason can it?

It happens quite a bit when people first start VLCDs, actually. :) Nothing too much to worry about. It's likely to be due in part to a drop in Vitamin K (if you had a healthy-ish diet with lots of green veg before starting, your intake of Vit K is likely to be less on a meal replacement diet than it was before). Your body will adjust to the relative drop over the next couple of weeks (there's sufficient Vit K in the packets). You might find you bruise easily too for a while. In addition, you're likely to be brushing your teeth a bit harder than usual at the moment because of how ketosis makes your mouth feel, if that makes sense? That sensation also passes as you get used to it.

If it continues past a couple of weeks it's worth consulting your dentist but it'll probably sort itself out fairly quickly.

It happens quite a bit when people first start VLCDs, actually. :) Nothing too much to worry about. It's likely to be due in part to a drop in Vitamin K (if you had a healthy-ish diet with lots of green veg before starting, your intake of Vit K is likely to be less on a meal replacement diet than it was before). Your body will adjust to the relative drop over the next couple of weeks (there's sufficient Vit K in the packets). You might find you bruise easily too for a while. In addition, you're likely to be brushing your teeth a bit harder than usual at the moment because of how ketosis makes your mouth feel, if that makes sense? That sensation also passes as you get used to it. If it continues past a couple of weeks it's worth consulting your dentist but it'll probably sort itself out fairly quickly.
Thank you so much for your reply :) Yes , all makes sense. Despite being overweight I did include a very healthy diet along with all the rubbish so it prolly is that! Will keep an eye on it! Thanks once again!

Back