day3 of Week3 and not an ounce lost :(

suzanne42

Im on a bit of a downer today,having just stepped on the scales and not lost so much as an ounce this week so far :confused:
I know the weight loss usually slows down after the 2nd week but is it normal to have no weight loss at all ? :sigh:
Ive even done 2x 45min workouts this week, Im not a happy bunny today :cry:

Step away from the scales!
You are bound to lose by the end of the week, anyway inches and activity levels are part of the mission too aren't they?
Keep your chin up and don't get discouraged, you've got through the hardest bit, the transition to food replacement so just keep on going and try not to think about the numbers.:patback:
You've done great to get to week 3:clap:,
I hope I can be as strong!

Thanks Macabar. I know i shouldn't go on my own scales but i cant help it ,i won't be doing it again . lol

I agree with macabar, step away from the scales1 I’m only on day 3 and I’m busting to get on the scales, but I know I can’t. I can’t risk the losing the way I feel at the moment, I feel like I’m losing weight, which in turn is making the diet easier.

I am a serial weigher - first thing every morning!! And no point in telling myself I shouldn't - I will and I do!!!

Suzanne, this happens. What I've noticed is that in any given week, I'm the same for 3 or 4 days at a time and then maybe a lb or 2 drop in one day - not sure why, but the drop seems to come in the days before a weigh-in!!
Once you get used to the pattern of how your weight falls off, you'll be less disheartened by the scales!! (Although, if you can stop stepping up on it so often, that is the right thing to do!)

Suzanne, don't be down-hearted, I had weeks when I only lost a lb overall and I'd been 100%! no-one's weight loss is exactly the same. Also you're not terribly over-weight so you might not lose weight quite as quickly as someone who has say 5 or 6 stones to lose......Just don't give up, I know how it feels and the temptation is just to say "sod it" and head for the fridge but don't ok! The scales will move, eventually:D

thank you Sandra . I have still been 100% but its been a fight though.
I guess im lucky ,having lost a stone already, i just have to try an remember that :)

well still no weight loss this week . Im wondering if it as anything to do with TOTM but thats not due for another 10 days .This has really confused me :/ ,im on the verge of giving up. Im going to wait till weigh in day on saturday before deciding though, i just don't see the point in doing this if its not working :(

No I see what you mean. Have you been drinking your water? It seems impossible that you won't lose any weight by Saturday. It could still be hormonal even if not your usual TOM. How do your clothes fit, are they looser? I was reading somewhere here about fat cells refilling with water to prevent cell damage by shrinking too quickly
Here it is:
I came across this on a low carb support forum when I was low carbing, however what it says totally applies to VLCDers too.

I find it a really comforting read as i have some soul destroying weekly weigh ins when i know I haven't cheated. They rock me so hard sometimes they almost make me give up. I often avoid weigh in altogether as it can be so demotivating.

Anway, have a read, if you just had a disappointing weigh in it may just be enough to keep you on the straight and narrow, at the very least it may not leave you feeling down all day about a bad weigh in.
xxx

STALLS -- WHY THE SCALES CAN LIE
Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.

The good news is that this water replacement is temporary. It's a defensive measure to keep your body from changing too rapidly. It allows the fat cell to counter the rapid change in cell composition, allowing for a slow, gradual reduction in cell size. The problem is, most people are frustrated with their apparent lack of success, assume they have lost nothing, and stop dieting.
However, if you give those fat cells some time, and ignore the scale weight fluctuations, your real weight/shape will slowly begin to show. The moral of the story - be patient! Your body is changing even if the number on the scale isn't.

A priority of the human body is survival. Anything that threatens its survival results in the cascade of events to maintain the previous status quo. Water fluctuations are one way the body does this. Brain tells body to produce and release that vasopressin antidiuretic hormone....more water is retained, and no weight loss noticed. Fat loss is still occuring, because ketosis is firmly established and appetite supression is in effect...but water retention is hiding that continuing fat loss. The body is preventing dehydration with this mechanism, and that's a *good* thing.
From the perspective of the scale, it can be discouraging. Which is why the mantra: Water retention masks fat loss (repeated frequently to oneself ) is helpful. Water retention will mask ongoing fat-loss for as long as the body retains the water. We can combat this by drinking more water.

So don't use the scale as an excuse to undermine your progress. Even when the scale is in a stall, fat loss can be occuring.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Taken from
http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/scale.htm

Take it easy there Suzanne x

Thank you Macabar, that is so interesting and could be the reason behind my problem. Makes me feel so much better.than you :) xx

Jhenning. i do usually measure myself once a week, but havent done this week due to my flat mood . I will do later though and see if the measurements have reduced ,lets hope so :) xx

Curiosity killed the cat ! lol, I weighed myself again this morning and i am 2lbs lighter Hallelujah !
I have been reading a few posts and noticed quite a few people have a low loss on week 3 , does anyone no the reason for this ?
Hopefully back on track now :)

p.s. I also got the tape measure out, 5.1/2ins loss in total

Back