Dealing with a break up

Rozziebabe85

I've been doing Slimming World quite successfully until 3 weeks ago when I broke up with my Partner after 7 years. It was amicable but can't help thinking that my obsession with my weight has been a major factor in causing the split. There is no going back and I need to move on.

Has anyone got any tips on how I can get back on track quickly as I'm now putting weight back on due to comfort eating?

Please post if you've been through something similar. Knowing other people have been through it and been ok will help a lot.

Don't dwell on the fact you've broke up. All you can do is quit comfort eating and get back on track, and to quit you're going to have to stop feeling sorry for yourself/down about breaking up and move on. Sorry to sound so harsh, but the only way to do it is pick yourself up from that heap in the corner and go back to living your life. Been there with me ex, took me 5 years to realise I could move on from him, i should have picked myself up earlier and didn't.

If you can , join a gym now. Turn that negative feeling into something possitive. Going to the gym fills your time so your not thinking as much and it creates happy hormones, so you do start to feel a bit better, quicker.Also you sleep better after excercise and that makes you feel better as well.I threw myself into the gym when me and my partner broke up and it was like a life line, i even got friends to join with me. Were sorting threw things now and nearly back on track and im still going to the gym as it makes me more relaxed and ballanced, i do 2 classes a week of body ballance and i love it. Good luck x

Hi, I know exactly how you're feeling. I split up with my boyfriend about 6 weeks ago after 5 years. I haven't been comfort eating I've actually gone the other way and been eating less as I felt sick all the time. I'm now starting to pick myself up a bit and carry on. Determined to stick with sw though and get to target.

I have a real lack of motivation though when it comes to exercising. Rejoined the gym last week but haven't actually been yet. Have been doing a lot of walking though which I find helps me think things through and put things in perspective.

I hope you manage to get back on track with everything. x

I agree about the gym, I find when im there that I think of nothing other than my work out. Concrating on my breathing, talking myself into that extra minute, extra rep.
Before I know it 1.5 hours have passed and I sleep like the dead when iv exercised.

Im sorry for your break up, but do look at it as a new start. Try different classes, try looking into a hobby etc

As you've said you know there is no going back, just don't dwell on it. Don't worry about whether your obsession with your weight helped to cause the break up or not.

How obsessed are you though? If you do think its an unhealthy obsession try to tackle that as you continue with slimming world, it may help you get over your ex. Otherwise just concentrate on yourself, your only going to feel worse the more weight you gain.

I hope your feeling better about it all now hun and sorry I can't really be any help :(

Seven years is a long time to be with someone and so my guess is that however amicable the split has been, you will be grieving and feeling a lot of different things about your old and new life.

So - be kind to yourself. If you comfort eat now and again don't use it as a tool to bereate yourself. If you are eating as a response to some feeling that you'd rather not have, see if you can work out what it is your feeling and deal with it a different way - like talk to a friend, wallop a pillow, watch a favourite film or do something to distract yourself from it and the eating if you really don't want to deal with it then. Surround yourself with people who care about you and do things that make you feel good about yourself, whatever that is and maybe.

I haven't broken up with anyone for a long while now, but I have lost a lot of people in the last few years and had some nasty life events, and so comfort ate as a response to a lot of this - so this is some of what I try to do now, and for me tackling my weight is about seeking a brighter, more positive future.

Wishing you all the best

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Feeling a big better this week. Sticking with SW for now - even if I don't loose any weight as its hopefully stopping me from gaining. Have started running with a friend and that's making me feel better. Thanks to all and good luck with your SW journeys. Xx

Back