Dealing with social occasions

karenlisa

I'am only on day 2, i have removed all social events from my for the near future as i think it will be much easier for me. My big worry is that I'am training to be a Hypnotherapist at the moment and attend college one full wkend a month, a big part of it is going out for lunch on each day to discuss and debate. Iam next at college next wkend and am wondering how i will cope? I'am even starting to think will one wkend a month(2 lunch's) really make a difference. Really want to stay on track. How did you guy's deal with it? thanks

YEs, one weekend and meals a month WILL make a difference! Do not do it...you will be in and out of ketosis every few weeks, and success will get farther and farther away. You will also be likely to start cheating more frequently until youjust throw it away. THis is an abstinance diet for a reason. Not an abstinance diet every 3 weeks. ;)

You can order something, just a green salad, or something small....and push it around with your fork, if people are talking they won;t notice.

You can tell people your tummy is feeling a bit off.

You can say you have a horrible toothache and it hurts to chew, or you had a big breakfast, or are g oing out for a big dinner....etc.

Seriously - you have to commit to thei 100% if you want a guaranteed loss.....

I hope you won;t mess about with it. It would just slow ya down - and who wants to delay getting to their goal at last! :)

Thanks BL, I'am hoping the hunger will pass and then things will get easier, I think will just have to be honest and say i'am on a diet, least that way i won't have the next 4 months of people asking questions, i really really want this and i guess sometimes in life the things worth having are never easy. I understand what you mean and if i decide to 'eat' once a month it will become 2 then 3....

Honesty is good. And the most obvious - but a lot of us want to keep this private which is why I did not suggest it. I di keep it quiet till after 6 stone. COuldnt really after that. ;)

Good on ya. You will get in to a routine, and a place where you truly will not be hungry or tempted. Hard to believe but its true. :)

x

ditto to everything BL said.
if you are happy telling people then do so.
if not order something and just pretend to eat. i did this soooo many times and no one ever noticed
daisy x

Hi KarenLisa (hello again BL and Daisy too!)

I did LL last year and did great till I had a "planned cheat" for a family do. The intention was to just have the family meal, but that spiralled into a whole weekend of binging and getting drunk, followed by 4 months of dipping on and off the packs. And now I've just restarted abstinence again properly - having put on 2 stone of the 4 I lost.

I've certainly learned that hard way that it's all or nothing with this plan - and Oh My Goodness the plan SO works!

Lou xx

Thanks lou its not helping that people keep telling me that i need to have treat day's to get it. when i say that i'am not going to drink for 14 weeks they say thats not realistic (i enjoy a glass of red wine) and better to do it for a couple of weeks. I do feel that i need a complete break from food and need to re programme my thoughts about it.

Everyone I have spoken to who has "nibbled" or "cheated" has said don't even go there.
Those people know what they are talking about, so if you want to lose weight at the rate achieveable, stay abstinent.

I agree with BL and Daisy ~ it's up to you who you tell, but don't feel pressured into eating or drinking! Not if you are serious about wanting to lose weight fast.

I was the same as BL and chose not to talk about my diet except to my fiance and very closest friends. I have now lost almost 5 stones and so have been honest where I feel it's appropriate, and in other situations, I deal with not eating with whatever excuse seems reasonable.

It's easy to avoid all the unnecessary awkwardness when you focus on the end goal. Tell people, don't tell people ~ but do this for yourself. xx :)

Thanks ladies, most of the people on my course know i want to lose weight as i'am going to be my tutors guiena pig on our weight loss day. Given that it will probably be easier to just tell them what i'am doing.

You have yo do what is right for you. I canceled everything the first week, but since then have embraced all social occasions, including 3 nights out clubbing, an engagement party, a Christmas 5 course meal. Each time I have been honest about what I am doing (except 1 party where I said i was on anti-biotics) and have really enjoyed myself. It's important you don't feel deprived, and as the course goes on you will know you can have that glass of wine if you want, you are choosing not to ;)

i stuck to water, and just ensured i had a pack before i left for an event and it worked wonders :)

You will also do yourself a favour if you learn to smile and nod graciously.

It's sometimes easier to just agree with what they say, damning all diets especially starvation ones etc, and just carry on doing it your way. Unless they sit on you and force a tube down your throat they can't actually physically change your actions.

You don't have to fight an enemy without, you'll have enough within.

Absolutely Foxy.
Even if people notice and say something they soon get bored and focus on someone/something else.
For people just starting LL - once you are in Ketosis I think you'll be surprised to find you can still enjoy social occasions while on abstinence.
For me, prior to LL ;
enjoying myself = food and drink.
It's not the case any more. There is so much more to life (as well as food and drink)!

My OH came out with a great one last night. He was at a party (I declined to go) boasting about how much weight I had lost, and someone started on about the diet, he simply told them.....'this diet was designed and approved by people cleverer than me and you!'

SB and mel you have both done amazingly well, it makes me realise that i have it alot easier than others and it IS more than possible to achieve my goal, it was day 2 for me yesterday and i found it quiet hard as i was hungry, i was really bad and had an oxo cube in water as i wanted something more. Today iam not hungry and it is much easier to be positive. Thank you all for you encouragment.

SB and mel you have both done amazingly well, it makes me realise that i have it alot easier than others and it IS more than possible to achieve my goal, it was day 2 for me yesterday and i found it quiet hard as i was hungry, i was really bad and had an oxo cube in water as i wanted something more. Today iam not hungry and it is much easier to be positive. Thank you all for you encouragment.

Hi Karen, Hang in there - it is the toughest the first few days, and then it gets easier.

You can use Marigold Vegetable Boullion for a hot savory drink - it is essentially the same as what LL sells only a fraction of the cost. You can have 2 cups a day, and they really do bridge the gap nicely....can be a real life saver.

Be careful with OXO....I have a feeling there must be something in what holds it together that would probably affect ketosis...but you will be fine with Marigold.

:)

You can use Marigold Vegetable Boullion for a hot savory drink - it is essentially the same as what LL sells only a fraction of the cost. You can have 2 cups a day, and they really do bridge the gap nicely....can be a real life saver.

:)

And try to find the Reduced Salt (Purple container orange lid) not the regular (Green container orange lid). I think the regular is far too salty to enjoy.

My Sainsbury's has the regular with the stock cubes and gravy and the reduced salt over the other side of the store with the special diet foods. No idea why.

Never let anyone pressure you into anything that directly undermines what YOU yourself want to do. That is the first lesson of LL that needs to be taken into account. ... Just because someone hands you an item - never means you NEED to, or HAVE to use it.
Same applies to food in many cases. In learning to maintain my weight in the long term - I've had to learn that just because someone gives me a portion of something to eat - does NOT mean I HAVE to eat it, or even eat all of it.
Remember - you are in control. You have the power of choice.
By all means, attend these luncheons - but just because it's a luncheon - doesn't mean you NEED to eat! Have a coffee - it's not a prescribed requirement that you HAVE to have food at all these events.

And as these lovely ladies said before - honesty is sometimes the best policy. Tell them you're on a diet. And always stick to your convictions. If someone doesn't approve, or agree with what you're doing - so what? You're doing the diet for YOU, not to gain approval or disapproval from anyone else. Remember this, and you'll be oK!

:D

Back