Deciding this time to go it alone

Caz

Repeat Offender
Well, I say alone, not completely. I'll obviously have my CDC and here, but I've decided not to tell my family that I'm starting back on CD again. They were quite dubious about it at first, but then were supportive of me, especially when they saw it working. But they were fairly concerned about the health side of it.

When I stopped they became fairly critical of the diet again. Said they were glad that it helped me, but was more glad that I stopped because they were worried about the speed I was losing the weight and the implications health wise. One of my sisters didn't like it at all and referred to it as that silly diet. She's a nurse so thinks she knows best.

And then the other day we were all sitting around the table and for some reason ended up talking about Atkins and how it's not good because of something or other, and my sister was going on about a guy gong into renal failure because of Lighter Life. And everyone was saying they didn't think diets like that were the best way to go about it.

So I think that this time rather than say anything, I'm just going to get on with it. I can't be bothered to sit there and listen to them as they tell me that they don't think that I should be doing something so drastic, and that they think it's bad for my health and that it's given me the kick start I need to now do it on my own. I've moved out of my parents place again so it doesn't matter now, they don't need to know as I'm in my own place. So they can just see the difference when they next see me, but event hen I don't think I'll say about CD. I just figure that this diet is difficult enough without family not being that helpful.

Does anyone else have issues with their family and CD? Wondering the best way to convince them it's safe and ok, but not sure I can, so probably just won't try. Just tell them when I've finished that it was CD and be like ha, see, I'm fine and healthy and I've lost all the weight. So yeah, I'm going to stop rambling now! Sorry!

Hi caroline the only person that knows about me on CD is my mum she's the best!!! and supportive but im sure if people really new that wouldnt be happy.!
But i dont care what they THINK !! to be truthful, im meeting my dream goal now.

And it will stay that way.!!
Go for it caroline you will be fine hun.x

My family were dubious to begin with, but happier now they have seen the results. It's a tough one, eveyone thinks they know what's best for you, I can tell you though that weighing less is what's best for us all, and if CD is what we have chosen to help us achieve it then so be it!! There are risks to all diets, but the risks being overweight are far more.

My family are convinced I'll put it all back on once I start eating properly, and I'm determined to prove them wrong!

You have all of us here supporting you, so there is no need for a negative family!
All the v best with it!
Xx

My family were dubious to begin with, but happier now they have seen the results. It's a tough one, eveyone thinks they know what's best for you, I can tell you though that weighing less is what's best for us all, and if CD is what we have chosen to help us achieve it then so be it!! There are risks to all diets, but the risks being overweight are far more.

My family are convinced I'll put it all back on once I start eating properly, and I'm determined to prove them wrong!

You have all of us here supporting you, so there is no need for a negative family!
All the v best with it!
Xx
"So true AlyB thats what it's all about MAINTAINING the weightloss.!!
It can be done im always amazed about people like 'KD' who has done so well, so yes CD does work".!!!

Hear hear. And in all probability, about the best defence of CD you can make, given those that diss the diet don't want to hear the facts, they just want to carry on feeding you the stuff they once heard someone else say about doing VLCDs, etc.

It's fascinating that VLCDs get such bad publicity when they work so well. To me, it's incredible that some people seem to consider having weight loss surgery is safer than trying something like CD.

Hi Caroline,

I had exactly the same sort of discouragement from people when I was doing Lipotrim last year. Most notibally from my ex partner who I was living with at the time. I think its jealousy to be honest, it takes alot of determination to stick to a TFR and I think it rankles some people who know they wouldn't have the strength to do it. Sod em I say! Last time I realised I was doing the diet for every tom dick and harry and not myself. I even fell into the trap of doing it to make my relationship with my ex better...what rubbish! This time im going to do it for me, and I wont be telling anyone. because I realise I dont need their gratification or encouragement, because this is about me not them. I'm gonna love myself enough this year to lose weight for me. When I was on the lipotrim last year, we went through a period of really heavy snow (I lived on the yorkshire moors) and i couldnt get to my appointment for more sachets. So I had to refeed, and my partner would say to me, oh just have that it wont hurt. In my mixed up state, it was like he was giving me permission to eat and as he was the fuel behind me dieting I mistook his 'concern' for actually him wanting me to fail. People who press their opinions so venhemently on another person, really have their own agenda I beleive. So thats mainly why I wont be telling anyone, because its about me and me alone :)

I have only told my husband and a couple of close friends. My family would be supportive I am sure, but I don't want them to know at the moment.

I have failed at every diet under the sun and am sure people think 'here we go again' when I start another diet, but I am determined to lose and then maintain this time. If people start asking what I am ding I will just say I am cutting out, well thats not a lie is it. I am cutting out food lol

All the best on your weight loss hun

Charlie xx

I honestly really expected my parents to be pretty critical of the diet but to my surprise the minute I mentioned that I had the blessing of my doc etc, they were pretty okay with it. It helps that my dad has a few co-workers that are doing something similar.

But to be honest this is the USA where its almost common place for people to get on really dangerous diet and supplement plans.

Hi Caroline,

Hope you had a lovely Christmas.

Sorry to hear you have a fretting family! My family were the same when I began, especially my Mum. But as time has gone on they have seen the results and my new found confidence and do now seem overjoyed for me :) Maybe this will be the same for you now?

Although I have a current hurdle to overcome, where family were telling me all over Christmas that I am 'just right' now and should stop. I'm still 4 stone overweight! So I just smile, nod and carry on! :)

The next will be where people will be saying I'll put it all back on again when I start eating...it's just ignorance IMHO. Perhaps when your family see you (and lets face facts here - they will notice a difference in your weight) just tell them you have given it another go, and if they are concerned, tell them you understand their concerns but you have been assured the diet is safe and maybe show them the yellow book/cd website so they can read up and put their minds at rest?

Hope it all works out for you x

The only people that know I'm doing cd is my husband and daughter, both my sisters are nurses and are sceptical of vlcd (although they are both overweight and could do with doing it themselves) so its easier for them to think I'm doing low carb/fat and sort of atkins without meat as I'm a veggie. Also people at work would also go on, so they think I'm just cutting out carbs, anyone who is on a diet is usually moaned at and tempted with things so I don't tell them I'm doing cd or any diet, I just say I've only cut out carbs

They were fairly supportive before. They were supportive that I was doign something about it but still worried about the possible side effects and implications health wise. There were always lovely comments about how good I was looking and stuff but I know they were still coerned it was too fast. I think I will tell them I'm doing it but not yet. I want to get back into the swing of it again rather than deal with it all at once. If that makes sense!

I have only told my husband.

I have failed at every diet under the sun and am sure people think 'here we go again' when I start another diet, but I am determined to lose and then maintain this time. If people start asking what I am ding I will just say I am cutting out, well thats not a lie is it. I am cutting out food lol

Oh that's so me! Good luck!

I told my mum I was going on A DIET, not CD. And even her replies were less than encouraging. I feel much more comfortable with only my OH knowing. He's always loved me for me. When I was at my smallest and my biggest. No one else's opinions of my actions matter to me anymore. I feel I have control over it. And if I fail, my OH will still love me and wont make any remarks my family would.

I'm glad I got you gals.

My mum knows of the diet, is happy enough for me to do it so long as i keep safe. lol bless her. My in laws on the other hand..... different story. They know im on a diet that has 'sachets' but thats it. They seem to think its a WW type thingy. My FIL would moan non stop if he knew the truth so for him ignorance is bliss! My OH knows too and hes starting the diet within the next coupla weeks.

I'll have to explain the weight loss some how so will say I'm on a diet, but not which one, good plan numnum :) I'm going to the gym anyway, and have been doing the whole healthy eating (though it went right out the window for Christmas =s) so I think that's all they need to know for now really.

It's nice to know families care, isn't it? But they need to trust our decisions. I told my OH, did he really think I'd do a diet that would put my general health at risk? I already don't enjoy good health, I wouldn't plan in a milion years to make it worse!

I'd love to join a gym. Sadly I don't drive, so the accessbility isn't there :(.

In Birmingham you can actually use the council funded gyms and leisure centres for free during certain times if you're a Birmingham resident. So means I don't have to pay for it and my nearest one is about a 2 mile walk away, means I'm warmed up by the time I get there!

Back