Decking Jim - Progress report

Hi Guys
Feelin a lot better today - stomach is swollen and tender but main thing is the trapped wind has eased off a bit. Im taking gripe water and keeping up with painkillers and just pottering about which helps I think. Im an active person so bored already and its only 48hrs post surgery so Im gonna have to keep occupied. I have to stay on liquid diet for 2 weeks then mushy slop for 2 weeks and then introduce solids from week 5. I dont have a band fill until week 6 and it can take several fills and several months to hit the sweet spot with the right level of restriction. This can be frustrating for some people who are looking for fast results but I see it is a long game and wont be fazed by that. Im gonna keep a close eye on my calorie intake along the way to ensure I dont risk putting on any of thos valuable 38lbs that i've already lost. The company that provided my surgery include a 2 year aftercare package that included monthly meet with nurse, unlimited fills , nutritional support and fitness trainer advise.
Sounds good

Cheers James

Bl they take out or put in fluid - just a millilitre at a time til they get the size right (i'm sure Jim can explain it better)

My friend has hers taken out/filled from time to time, if she finds she is eating too much, or if its getting uncomfy.

Its good you have them free for 2 year Jim, she only had a year, and now pays £60+ per fill.

daisy x

Coo, theres a lot more to this that there first seems then!!

Good luck with everything Jim, you are sounding very positive about it all!! Take up knitting or something.

Hi Guys

Feeling great today, i was suffering a bit the first couple of days with trapped wind in shoulder following surgery but that gone now. Had peppermint tea, gripe water, windeeze, hot water bottles etc.
Slept on flat bed last night and woke up on side at 9am, havent needed any pain killers today also so thats a good sign.
Main thing is i'm bored stupid, normally i'm out biking on a sunday morning wheras today just shuffling about, will go for long walk round Roundhay park this afternoon.
yesterday I had 3 slimfast and small bowl of soup, i'm on liquid diet for 2 weeks then mush for 2 weeks after that
Regarding band fills basically its an adjustable band that fits about 1/4 way down your stomach and after 6 weeks you go for your first fill. A tube runs from the band and has a port on the end of it which is sewn onto the skin just beneath the rib cage. The top of the port has a silicone cover and the bariatric nurse sticks a needle through your skin into the port and can add or remove saline solution as required.
Most bands are 10ml so basically as they put fluid in the only bit that can expand in the system is the ring around your stomach so as fluid is injected into the sealed sytem the band expands which results in a smaller internal diameted hence the gap between your upper and lower stomach shrinks meaning it takes longer for food to digest. This tricks your body into telling your brain that you are full wheras in reality its just the small upper stomach thats full.
Sounds simple but not quite as easy as it seems, it can take several fills over many months to get the correct level of restriction known as the " Sweet Spot. " many banders become frustrated with this as after shelling out a small fortune people want instant results.
I have a plan to overcome this in that I have joined Weightwatchers so will continiue with the discipline I enjoyed on LL and get officialy weighed each week.
This will continue until I hit my sweet spot, I have also bought a small journal where I record everything I eat and drink daily plus I also record it on line at foodfocus.
I record total calories ( food/drink ) total exercise ( calories ) and then record net calories

As I have already lost over 2 stone since xmas im hoping that I can get to my target of 14stone / 90kgs in a couple of months and then use the band to help me maintain my new found weight

Cheers

James
means thn

Back