Dermoid cyst help and advise anyone?

Lucylu79

Gold Member
I know I should be posting in a health forum but I always get such great advise here that I thought i'd try you guys (well gals probably moreso) first.

I'm in a weird place in my life right now, physically i'm in pain, my life however on the outside is great. I feel like i'm looking at my life from the outside, almost through a window, a dirty one at that.

I've had this cyst known to me since 2010 during a normal pregnancy scan. Nothing was explained to me and that was that. In 2015, pregnant again and the cyst never mentioned at scans so I figured it had just 'gone'.

Skip forward to about 5 months ago I experience period pain most days and generally feel rubbish so I think about changing the pill, it was a new one to me so I thought it's got to be that. Since then i've had 3 really bad days, 1 I very nearly went to A&E in pain on my right side (same as cyst but unknown to me)

The doctors to be fair have been very good to me, but now i'm questioning some of the things they have said.

I have had another scan about 2 months ago which showed that the cyst had grown to nearly 5 cm's and to be told it's a dermoid. Obviously I googled it when I got home, yuck!
I went back to the doctors to be told it's 'insignificant in size' and extremely unlikey to be the cause of my pain.

I've had bloods - all ok, an internal - ok.

I've now seen a gyno who's happy to take it out along with my right ovary and wants to see the results of an mri i've recently had to check the cyst in its true form.

Up until a few days ago I beleived the docs - It's a small cyst and therefore okay but now i'm thinking it really needs to be removed based on research i've been doing.

In the mean time however if anyone has any experience of one of these i'd be eternally grateful to hear your story if you'd be happy to share.

Many thanks x

I have no experience of this cyst, but based on your description of the pain, have they checked your gallbladder for stones?

The cause of Gall stones are not fully known, but they often come after a big change in hormones eg pregnancy. For me it was losing a lot of weight. Also common for women going through menopause.

Hi there and thanks for the speedy reply!

No they haven't, I asked about them and they said my pain was too low down.

It's too low for gallbladder problem. It does sound like an ovarian cyst. If it's smaller than 6cm they usually disappear after about 12 weeks but over that size and it needs removing.
Once the gyno has seen the result from the mri scan then he will know more. If it was me I would have it removed if it's causing pain. You don't want it to get any bigger and you end up in a&e.

Thanks, i've rang my docs and my mri results are there but they wont tell me over the phone, got to wait for a doctor.

Hopefully get this sorted soon :)

Back