Derren brown

onlyme!

is a naughty girl...
Did any one see him last night? I would have been so much more impressed if he had shown his numbers first. I feel a little let down :confused:

I saw him live and at the end i found myself 'in love' with him, I thought he was gorgeous....well Derren, you me last night!!!

I didn't see it but I heard they were going to project the numbers on various buildings across the country? And he got five numbers right? Did he show the one he got wrong? If not, it's dead easy:

You project 49 numbers in seperate locations around the country, but you make out that you're only showing six numbers. Then after the numbers are drawn you reveal you got five right and only those numbers. That way, everyone who was present at an 'incorrect' location thinks they were the only incorrect one.

Did you see the one he did with the betting on the horses? It worked in a similar way, with the 'winner' being unaware that there were 99 other people who failed to get through so she thought there really was some sort of clairvoyance or whatever going on.

Oh hang on, I've just googled it and he used some balls to do it... Hmm, I'll have to think harder.

Yep, he used 'pre-selected' balls in the studio to predict the outcome and then we watched the draw live with him.

Thing is .... we didn't see the balls at all while the draw was being made so couldn't someone have written the numbers on them while the draw was happening and ... voila! ... when he turned them round to show us they were the same numbers? :confused:

I'm not impressed either, I reckon there was some way of projecting the numbers onto those balls or they were interactive in some way.

Remember that Derren Brown is an "illusionist" after all. He's a flaming good one though :D

Yes, the whole thing is an illusion, but because I know it is I'm even more impressed when I'm fooled :D

It'll be something more tricky and yet more obvious than just slight of handing the balls. Guess I'll have to watch on Friday.

Regarding them not showing the numbers in advance of the draw, the BBC are contracted to Camalot to show the numbers before anyone else. Derren Brown will have used this to his advantage somewhere in the illusion.

but i dont understand why he couldnt have told us what he thought they could have been wrong! (they obviously werent going to be!)

but i dont understand why he couldnt have told us what he thought they could have been wrong! (they obviously werent going to be!)

Because he didn't know what they were going to be any more than you or I did! ;)

summerskye they were left of the tv the whole time :D

Ack, that'll teach me not to try to multi-task by watching TV and catching up on MiniMins at the same time then :D

Because he didn't know what they were going to be any more than you or I did! ;)

Yup! The man's good .. but he ain't THAT good ;)

Ok, I've watched the link from lisalulu and here is my theory:

It's simply a camera trick, a version of the 'freeze the left side of the screen while an assistant makes the change'. If you look at the start of the programme the balls are all lined up perfectly and all sit on the bottom of the stand but when he turns the stand around at the end the #39 ball is raised up slightly, perhaps where the assistant made an error.

There is loads of camera shake to try and hide this; you'd expect the picture to be very still to allow you to freeze one side of the screen only, but this is the misdirection.

At the start, the camera shake is very fluid (with a bit of fast zooming), but there is a point where he walks in front of the balls and over to the right, and this I think is a bit of misdirection too, to hide a transition between real camera shake and a clever bit of CGI camera shake. To me the wobble after this looks a bit artificial.

It'd be fairly easy to introduce 'fake-shake' to a live stream with all those reference points a computer could use, specially with the brick wall behind basically providing a grid to work from.

I think the whole CGI'ness of the trailers for it, and him juggling CGI balls could be a hint?

That's my thoughts on it anyway, come Friday I'm going to look either smug, or a complete tit :D

Back