Diabetic Diets

bev#

I was diagnosed about a year ago with diabetes. This is just one of the conditions I have and need to lose the weight to help combat them all, even though there are a few other reason Im on a diet now.

Anyway, are there any other diabetics out there on diets to lose weight?

Have you any low sugar/carb recipes?

The sugar free jelly helps kerb my sweet craving. What recipes work for you as a diabetic?

Lets share and help each other with new recipes that are good and fit in with a diabetic diet.

Bev x

Hi Bev!
I'm also Diabetic and have returned to try the Low Gi Diet. After lots of research, it seems to be the recommended diet plan for diabetics, as it keeps your blood glucose levels more stable, and also uses foods that help you feel fuller.
I'm waiting for a couple of cook books, but once i've tried some recipes I'll definately share them :)
I'm really into muesli, wholemeal pitta breads, and jelly and fruit pots at the moment...

Hi Bev and Lisa, im also type 2 diabetic, and have really struggled with it for years.

The answer for me in the end was to avoid all carbs as much as humanly possible. It has been the saving of me, albeit i was dragged into it virtually screaming and shouting.

Im on glucophage and byetta now, the byetta was what stopped me eating carbs because i felt so sick when i ate them. In May when i started this i had no intention of losing weight, i had been obese virtually all my life and had basically given up any hope of ever being able to lose weight. Nothing worked for me, I would cut down for weeks on end and seemingly get nowhere, then give up totally discouraged.

Since Byetta, ive not been able to eat carbs and the weight has literally fallen off me, almost 5 stone in just over 4 months. Im a new person!

There has also been quite a bit of research on healthy eating versus low carbing for diabetics, and low carbing has been an out and out winner when it comes to getting blood sugars under control and getting weight down, which isnt easy for diabetics at the best of times.

Back