Diary of a menopausal Yorkshire lass…take 2...

I approve of A glass of wine - nothing better when admiring the results of one's gardening!

Cats! - I think you'd better let me get some medical training first (and you'd better train them to be house cats)!

Well the last couple of days have been a write off as we went up to the Dales for the weekend. It was lovely, but not diet friendly.
I'm working on the theory that tomorrow will be my 3rd fresh start on my 3rd diary, so 3rd time lucky and all that :)
I really must do it, Rob tried his kilt on this morning and looked really slim - I refuse to be the porker of the relationship! I'm back to work tomorrow, so hopefully the routine will help, although I am planning to tell my boss that I'm going to stop working on Fridays which I doubt he'll be thrilled about.
So, my plan is to calorie count, but on Mondays and Thursdays restrict my calories, so I'm not doing a proper fast day, but I'm sort of half way there.
This may all have changed by tomorrow...

You do make me laugh Mandy. I am not doing too good at the moment, my today Monday is Day 1 and no promises.
xx

You do make me laugh Mandy. I am not doing too good at the moment, my today Monday is Day 1 and no promises.
xx
At least my efforts make everyone else look like a dieting superstar! :)
I'll keep my fingers crossed that we both get somewhere this time.
Take care xx

Monday 11th August - Calorie counting sort of fast day :)

Day one complete and a success - phew!

Lunch - Melba toast and laughing cow

Dinner - New potatoes, beef in gravy and peas

Snacks - Ham and hot chocolate

Calories - 729

Wednesday 13th August

4 pounds off, putting me at 10 st 8.5 - Yay!
I do like the losses you get at the start of a diet, maybe that's why I do so many of them? :)

Nothing much planned for today other than doctors, lunch and shopping with my Mum. I might have to take Bailey to the vets as he's managed to cut his paw quite badly, I'm leaving it for now because a trip to the vets will stress him which is no good for his dicky ticker. That cat is a hazard, I've hardly slept for worrying about him grrr.

Ooh - that's a gold star start! There's nothing quite like the start of a diet, I agree. Given my weight yesterday, you've not only caught me up but overtaken me too. (I haven't updated my stats - oops)! You can't be anywhere near the porker you claim to be!!

Oh dear - day with Mum and a poorly Bailey; double trouble so you have my sympathy. Good luck with both.

Well done Mandy, 4 lbs fantastic. No worries that I will overtake you.

Hope the rest of the day turns out ok.

Hi Mandy, I found your diary :D

How are you? Good for you getting back of the wagon. Even if we fall off of it every now and then, we always get back on it again so I think it's important to remember that.

Hope you're having a good weekend, what have you been up to? x

****sneaks back on hoping nobody will notice absence****
What a week! Stupid dying cat who I've practically given my life up for, thinking he has the power of 10 cats, got involved in a serious fight on Monday and ended up at the vets on oxygen. I'm happy (and amazed) to say he's recovering well apart from various bites, ripped claws and a torn ear. I hope, but somehow doubt, that he's learnt his lesson this time. His father is in Scotland for the family reunion at the mo and when he gets back we're going to attempt to pen the back garden off, if only to stop me having a nervous breakdown!

Diet wise, this week I've tried 5:2 (again) slimming world (again) and even toyed with the idea of joining a weight watchers group, all efforts have been ruined by the demon wine and resulting munchies. Maybe I should join AA instead ;-) ? Today is the turn of calorie counting, hopefully I might just stick to it this time.

Diary later when I've decided what I'm eating x

Oh Mandy you make me laugh. Hope your cat recovers from his horrible injuries. Animals can give as much worry as children. I know mine did.

As for diets I am not doing well at all, in fact very bad. I had a good RED day yesterday and going to try for another today.

My head is not sticking to the rules, it keeps wanting sandwiches so I have stopped bread. There are still 6 slices in the freezer which I hope will stay there. Can`t afford to throw food away.

It is nice to have you *sneaking back* :). Have a good day my friend.

Love Doreen xx

Last edited:
Hey Doreen, great to hear from you - I've just been catching up on your diary. It seems we're in exactly the same place at the mo, bread is my absolute downfall - I could honestly live on bread and butter! I really need to stop buying it, I can't even blame Rob because he's not bothered. There is a large squishy loaf in the cupboard calling "toast....toast....toast" to me as I type :-(

I'm planning a day of sewing today to try to keep myself out of mischief ;-)

Naughty cat - and you wonder why I turned down the opportunity to use him to practice my looking after a cat skills!

If I can presume to offer my opinion on your dietary dilemma, I would suggest either 5:2 or calorie-counting or even a combination of the two, as they seem to be the methods you have the best results with. Once you've made the decision, work out how you can have the things you really want (need?) and try to commit to it. If you are anything like me, toying with the various diets is diisplacement therapy - anything to avoid the commitment.

Good luck!

Thanks Patty, your opinion is always appreciated, you've given me a lot of good advice over the past year or so. I agree that they're the best options for me, I'm going to try to do the odd fast day but have struggled with them recently. I definitely need to keep a check on my calories whatever I do!

Today I have counted calories and am only 150 over, so a step in the right direction :)

Back