Diet Coke - a word of warning!

It's surprising what diet fizzy drinks do to your body. There's been some research indicating that they may actually lead to weight gain, apparently they make your body expect sugar and when it doesn't get it, you get cravings to eat more of whatever you're having that day. My mother who has type 2 diabetes and a weight problem was specifically told by her nurse to avoid diet drinks for that reason.

I'd heard this too Elizabeth, I have a feeling Dad's diabetes nurse told him the same thing. All things considered I think I might just be better off staying off the stuff as far as possible!

Coke is a very dangerous thing. I blame it for at least 1/3 of my weight issues. I grew up in Dubai and as a child I used to guzzle cans and cans of it along with other full fat sodas - Miranda, Mountain Dew, and so on.

Up until fairly recently Hubby and I would go through maybe 12 cans a day between us - the thought of not having coke in the house used to scare the hell out of me. After my WLS in Noveber 08 I stopped drinking it and for 6 months had none at all. When I first tasted it after all that time it tasted disgusting - the first taste was actually not for the purpose of drinking it but I'd eaten something that had got stuck in my pouch and needed to be sick, the gas in coke is more than enough to make it happen.... one taste was all I needed, cause I started having it more and more till I was probably back to around 3 cans a day.

When I started back with SW I stopped buying the full fat stuff straight away and swapped to the gold cans, sugar and caffeine free and not intentionally found I was down to 1 maybe 2 cans a week at the most. I've now stopped buying the gold cans cause I find Pepsi Max much nicer for some reason. I don't recall having any problems through caffeine withdrawal though but I guess we are all different - one thing I know for sure, that Coke is evil and had I have not drunk it along with so many other fizzy things through out my life I'd probably be 10 stone lighter than I am now :cry:

Don't drink the stuff. When I was expecting my eldest son, who is 19, midwife told us all not to drink it as it could create health problems for the mother or baby.

I'd heard this too Elizabeth, I have a feeling Dad's diabetes nurse told him the same thing. All things considered I think I might just be better off staying off the stuff as far as possible!

I've certainly found I feel healthier since I gave it up, I kind of marvel now at how much of it I used to get through in a day.

I was really surprised when my mother told me the advice she'd been given about it, that's when I started to look into it myself and found out about it apparently causing cravings to eat more.

I really don't like the cheaper ones to be honest, I think I'm better off not drinking it at all if I can avoid it, other than special occasions, when I go out for lunch with the girls etc.

I am a DC junkie too and didn't like the cheaper versions anywhere but I now buy the Lidls Freeway ones, and honestly I can't taste the difference. At 39p for 2 litres, and I drink 1 or 2 of those bottle a day, it is a huge saving!

addicted to Diet Coke? You're all sick sick puppies and need your heads looking at ... nothing tastes quite as fine as a cold Pepsi Max :party0027:

But also am not convinced it is the caffeine ... I did a lot of research on aspartame a while ago and frankly the results were scary.

So I stopped researching ... and carried on drinking :)

Pepsi Max rocks :D:D

my friends dentist told her he had never seen such deterioration in 18months which is how long she had been drinking diet coke for!

my friend printed me of an american study of asperetimine (sp) and it is very scary it causes cancer in monkeys

I stopped drinking Diet Coke 2 and half months ago and I feel so much better for it. I stopped because I don't like consuming things with aspartame (sp?) in it.

Luckily I didn't have too many side effects and I can see a huge difference now. My skin is clearer, I feel better and I have only craved it once, and that was when a friend asked me to hold her can whilst she tried on shoes!!

x

I have so much diet coke - but i dont drink coffee or tea.

I once tried to quit, but it was a bad time. I went 3 days before i nearly blacked out....*bad times*

I think a slow mix and match with caffeine free coke, to wean off it would work - but i dont want to....EVER!!! x

ps. I hate Pepsi Max/Diet Pepsi....but if i am desperate i can hold my nose and swallow it!!!

I was thinking the same thing about the aspartame. I have headaches all the time and i drink lots of drinks with this in

i used to drink diet coke ALL the time, until i found out i was intolerant of artificial sweeteners.

little did i know how badly it was affecting me...

seriously. i used to have thick glossy hair and it thinned out over the years and wasnt shiny any more. i was always tired, prone to headaches and dizziness.

i never ever thought the aspartame was the issue but i believe it was, since i stopped my hair is healthier, im no longer lethargic/headachey etc... just watch yourselves people...

I'm a coke zero pepsi max addict but I also drink alot of coffee so think it must be the caffine for me.
I only drink coke when I;m slimmig cause I find a glass of coke stops sweet cravings.
Also I know you aren't spose to drink it when you are pregnant but with both my children I was sick up to 13 times a day and with my last child I found alittle coke sipped with my meals (i had one small bottle a day) helped me keep food down and out of hospital.

Back