Diet Drinks

atchonblimp21

I am a little confuzzled. I have been looking into diet drinks and artificial sweeteners etc... as I seem to be drinking more of them since on SW because I don't like water and I keep get differing ideas.

Apparently stuff like diet coke although has no calories.....it can make you crave more sugar and make you hungrier and it also slows down your metabolism....and has bad long term effects.

so, is it in fact slowing down my weight loss, or making it harder for me to stick to it.....or even worse actually causing weight gain, the opposite effect of what it should be doing.

any thoughts????? :confused:

xx

there are a few adverse effects when you have too much aspartame, but tbh as long as, like everything, you have diet drinks in moderation, you'll be ok!

you could try fruit or herbal teas perhaps to increase your water intake?

I'm not sure how it could slow down your losses or make you gain when it has no calories. It's not really possible for that to happen? If it is, I can't see how!
There are very differing opinions into asparatame and other artificial sweeteners and their effects on the body, and in my opinion, it's up to the individual whether they have aspartame or not.

how about tesco mexican lime juice mixed with water i find it a godsend

I drink a lot of diet coke, at least 2 litres a day. It does not make me crave for sugar at all. I don't eat any sweet stuff and don't crave for it either. It also does not slow down my metabolism and certainly does not make me hungry.
Side effects, not at all. Maybe in the future, I have no idea. I have been drinking it for years but have had none so far.

Yh, I think I may live without it for a week or 2 and see what happens.

Thanks for the ideas though......i really do need to drink more.
Its my weakness......I don't feel the need to drink and forget often. Therefore sometimes I may go the whole day without one not realising. NOT GOOD!

I drink alot more tea and decaf coffee now, but I doubt thats a good intake of drink.........I will try the lime idea kittykat. Thanks :) ....and I do like peppermint herbal tea and redbush. so may switch to them for a while.

Thanks all

I drink a lot of diet coke, at least 2 litres a day. It does not make me crave for sugar at all. I don't eat any sweet stuff and don't crave for it either. It also does not slow down my metabolism and certainly does not make me hungry.
Side effects, not at all. Maybe in the future, I have no idea. I have been drinking it for years but have had none so far.

Thanks......it's good to hear other peoples views and real experiences as all the facts we hear are always so different .

I crave sugar like crazy....so am trying to find the trigger so to speak.

I may experiment a bit

Thanks xx

I used to be addicted to Diet coke and would drink up to 3 litres a day..nothing else. I complained to my GP after telling him about following the SW plan..then he asked me what I drank and was appauled! I gave up drinking Diet coke for at least 3 years, apart from getting over the initial withdrawl..shakes, headaches etc, I was fine. I now drink 2 cans a day and thats my limit, plus teas, coffees and water by the pint!
My suggestion would be to reduce your intake rather than stop it all together and up your water..if you dont like the taste of just water, have sugar free squash.

Apparently it does make you crave sugar. When your body gets the sweet hit from the sweetener, it prepares to digest the sugar, so releases insulin. However the sugar doesn't come, and so you have all this extra insulin floating around, looking sugar - so your body then craves it.
I saw on that programme 'supersize, superskinny' that research shows that most people who drink diet coke are overweight.

I was drinking way too much when I was doing ww as it filled me up - plus I saw it as a treat. I stopped drinking it completely a few weeks ago.

I only drink fizzy drinks now and again or if I am having vodka. I tend to stick to squashes and tea. Have been taking a lot of sweetner lately but making a conscious effort to cut back on it.

Apparently it does make you crave sugar. When your body gets the sweet hit from the sweetener, it prepares to digest the sugar, so releases insulin. However the sugar doesn't come, and so you have all this extra insulin floating around, looking sugar - so your body then craves it.
I saw on that programme 'supersize, superskinny' that research shows that most people who drink diet coke are overweight.

I was drinking way too much when I was doing ww as it filled me up - plus I saw it as a treat. I stopped drinking it completely a few weeks ago.

I think it must vary from person to person.
Since I rejoined SW in May, I have given up all sweet things totally and have not had any cravings whatsoever, despite drinking lots of diet coke.

I think it's a bit wrong to say that most people who drink diet coke are overweight - perhaps it's truer that many overweight people drink diet coke??

I think it must vary from person to person.
Since I rejoined SW in May, I have given up all sweet things totally and have not had any cravings whatsoever, despite drinking lots of diet coke.

Thats fab, that you don't have any cravings. Yep, at the end of the day - we are all unique xxx

Back