Dinkie Dawnies Dubious Diary of Downsizing, Deflation, and Debauchery

Hi Dawn,

I hope today went as well as it could have done. It will never feel good because it's the day that you never wanted to come, but equally it is an important day and hopefully you will get some peace from today knowing that it's over but having memories of spending time with other people who loved him too. Big hugs.

Gail xxx

Hope you're ok hun ;) I captured this -> :hug99: in my butterfly net as it passed the window
icon_wink.gif

Mo xx

Big hugs for you from Florida Dawn. I know you're around which is good but don't worry about posting. As long as you're ok(ish) that's all that matters.

Gail x

Hi all,

Wow, lovely messages of support from you all :thankyou:

Well, I suppose that's it now, just Dad's ashes to scatter when we're ready.

I was so busy on the morning of the funeral that the time absolutely flew by! I'd made LOADS of cakes the day before which all needed decorating, and that took me about 3 hours. Then Gwyn and I took them down to the pub and the lovely manager there put them all in their walk in fridge. Then it was a race back home to get all sorted for the funeral.
The cars arrived a little early at Shirleys which allowed us time to look at the flowers...they were really beautiful. We walked in to "Unforgettable" by Nat King Cole". To be perfectly honest, by the time we took our seats in the crematorium I was shaking so much it was a struggle to just stay on my feet, and I was relieved when the hymn (All Things Bright & Beautiful) was finished and we could sit. The vicar was lovely, and the whole service was very personal. Gwyn read a nice John Dryden poem called "Happy the Man" which really summed Dad up. And during a pause where we were asked to think of and remember Dad, we played "Con Te Partiro" (Time to Say Goodbye) sung by Andrea Bocelli & Sarah Brightman. It was beautiful but awful, & I lost it. But Gwyn grabbed my hand tight, and Shirley reached across and grabbed the other one, & we got through it. We walked out to "I Can't Stop Loving You" by Ray Charles.
A number of people came up to me afterwards saying what a lovely service it had been, and that it was obvious that the vicar had known Dad, and I had to explain that actually thet'd never met! So he must have done a good job!
We had a nice afternoon at the Yeoman...if you can call it nice I suppose? Alot of people came back, and the food was very good. I had to laugh as just as everyone had had their fill of sandwiches, spicey wedges, onion rings etc. the staff brought my cakes out & there was a stampede lol!
Everyone was interested in the memory board, and it was quite a talking point so that was nice. And Vicki and I got some more sponsors for our Race for Life. I do know there were several hundred pounds donated in Dads name for the hospice but I don't know the total yet.
On the way home we dropped in to the tiny cemetary that Dads Mum is buried in, & where Dad wants half his ashes to be scattered, as the undertakers had laid the flowers on Nans grave. They looked amazing.
So, today I have decided that Dad would want me to carry on with SW, and not to make him an excuse for giving up. He was so proud of how well I was doing, and Andrew too, so we are going to try very hard to get back into it. We went to wi tonight along with Frances and...we all put on!!! Not a surprise for Andrew & me as we've been drinking far too much alcohol, and we ate rather alot of cakes at the funeral, but poor Frances was gutted as she'd been good all week! So we will have to all knuckle down and get back to counting syns, INCLUDING alcoholic ones!
I also have to start exercising again as I've really let it slip and I need to do this race on Fathers Day. So tonight I bit the bullet and did week 4 run 1 of C25K...I actually RAN for a whole 5 MINS! Mind you I was still congratulating myself when the NEXT 5 min run came up! What's that all about? :eek: Well I just couldn't do it! :mad: So I ran 2, walked 1, and then ran the next 2, so I was pretty pleased with that. So pleased in fact that I carried on walking/running until I'd covered 5k which took 51 mins and 30secs! :happy036: I'm thrilled with that, and I'm sure Dad was helping me, pushing me on :heartpump:

Anyway ladies, I really want to say a big thank you for all of your supportive, encouraging, sympathetic, funny, understanding, lovely posts throughout Dads illness. Since the day I decided to start my diary, I have never felt alone, & it has often been a relief and a blessing to come here and know that you will listen. You have made me laugh and cry, and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. Friends such as you are not easy to find, and I feel very lucky and honoured xx :sign0168:

Hoping to crack the whip tomorrow and dump some pounds this week...I had my first gain of a pound tonight! :mad:

Lots of love xx

Sounds like a truely love service and you're dad sounds like a great man, i bet he is very proud of you.
Well done for going back to sw and for getting back on with the running. Sure you'll be fine just remember one step at a time, if you have a bad day its no big deal.
I think i can say for everyone that reads your diary that you are the lovliest most supportive person and we're happy to be able to support you as you have supported us.
Love you loads bestie xxxxxxxx
(i may be quiet at the moment but i'm still stalking you)

Ooh...its me Bestie! Thanks for your super post, as always! How u doing hunni? On 2nd thoughts I'll pm you sweetie and catch up wiv u xx
So glad you're still around...miss u loads xx
Stalk away bestie! I'm gonna drag u back to sw one day anyway lol! Xx Lots of love xx

Hi Dawn,

Thanks for posting the details of your Dad's funeral. It sounds like you had the best day that you could possibly have had. I was crying reading the bits about the service so I know I would have been in bits if I was there. I'm so glad that it went well - including the memory board, cakes and all.

1lb gain is fantastic after the week that you've had. I think you should be very proud. However I agree with you - your Dad (and you) would want you to continue SW seeing that you've achieved so much already. So good on you and I am so proud of you (and Andrew) for going to WI tonight. I'm sure that you will have difficult SW moments in the weeks to come (just like the rest of us) (and difficult non SW moments too) but you are right to plan to get back on track.

Here's to a good SW week for you and for me not to eat all the cinnamon buns that there are left in Florida !!!!

Gail xxx

Cheers Gail...hav a cinnamon bunny for me!! Xxx

or three or four................................:ashamed0005::sign0007:

LOL !

Gail xxx

Dawn, I felt really touched reading about the funeral. It sounds like it was a lovely service and that your dad was important to so many people. Thankyou for sharing. Xxxx

I agree with the above! Well done hunni! :)

Hi Dawn,

I have spent to last couple of days reading through your whole diary and I have to say your are a truly inspirational women, what with all that has been going on in your life you have still kept up with SW and even this week you went along as well!! Brilliant!! I am so very sorry for your loss. The funeral sounded like a lovely service and that your dad was a very popular man! Thank you for sharing it all with us.

Sending hugs your way! :hug99:

Becs xx

Just thought I would send hugs too, and puts my own problems in perspective.

Oi! Back to work, woman!

Enough of this sitting around - those neenaws won't direct themselves, you know!

(Sorry - but I thought there was just a bit to much "niceness" around here!)

Hey Dawn ;)
Well hunni, you came out the other end in one piece. A little ragged around the edges maybe, but still in one piece :hug99:

The service sounded just perfect and it must certainly be a huge comfort to you knowing that your dad was so well thought of. And I have no doubt he would be proud of everyone's generosity re the hospice collection :) but also happy that you got more sponsors too :D

The memory board was a really good idea and I bet it sparked some ice breaking conversations, but also re-igniting old acquaintances :)

I bet it was funny seeing the rush for your yummy cakes :giggle: I'd have been first in line, I've got an awful sweet tooth just now, grr, :sigh: haha

I hope you were actually pleased that you only put 1lb on hun - even relieved; well done for 'getting back in the saddle' but now don't go being too harsh on yourself for the occasional slip that will probably happen, you do still need to be gentle with yourself just now :) OK? ;) :hug99:

Your 'bestie' Nicki, can certainly speak for me re ''I think i can say for everyone that reads your diary that you are the lovliest most supportive person and we're happy to be able to support you as you have supported us.''

Take Care
Love Mo
icon_smile.gif
xx

Hi Dawn,

I have spent to last couple of days reading through your whole diary and I have to say your are a truly inspirational women, what with all that has been going on in your life you have still kept up with SW and even this week you went along as well!! Brilliant!! I am so very sorry for your loss. The funeral sounded like a lovely service and that your dad was a very popular man! Thank you for sharing it all with us.

Sending hugs your way! :hug99:

Becs xx

Hi Becs,

Oh thanks for reading hunni! It's been a bit of a sad one I'm afraid, but I've actually found it pretty therapeutic to write things down.
Hope you're getting on well yourself...keep in touch xx :)

Oi! Back to work, woman!

Enough of this sitting around - those neenaws won't direct themselves, you know!

(Sorry - but I thought there was just a bit to much "niceness" around here!)

PMSL!!!

I knew I could rely on you to put an end to the niceness lol!

What would I do without you?!!! :D

Hey Dawn ;)
Well hunni, you came out the other end in one piece. A little ragged around the edges maybe, but still in one piece :hug99:

The service sounded just perfect and it must certainly be a huge comfort to you knowing that your dad was so well thought of. And I have no doubt he would be proud of everyone's generosity re the hospice collection :) but also happy that you got more sponsors too :D

The memory board was a really good idea and I bet it sparked some ice breaking conversations, but also re-igniting old acquaintances :)

I bet it was funny seeing the rush for your yummy cakes :giggle: I'd have been first in line, I've got an awful sweet tooth just now, grr, :sigh: haha

I hope you were actually pleased that you only put 1lb on hun - even relieved; well done for 'getting back in the saddle' but now don't go being too harsh on yourself for the occasional slip that will probably happen, you do still need to be gentle with yourself just now :) OK? ;) :hug99:

Your 'bestie' Nicki, can certainly speak for me re ''I think i can say for everyone that reads your diary that you are the lovliest most supportive person and we're happy to be able to support you as you have supported us.''

Take Care
Love Mo
icon_smile.gif
xx

Thanks Mo xx

You have an amazing way with words hunni xx

I wish you'd keep a diary so I know where to find you!!! :peep:

Thanks Mo xx

You have an amazing way with words hunni xx

I wish you'd keep a diary so I know where to find you!!! :peep:

They seek me here :peep: they seek me there, :peep:
icon_lol.gif

I spend too long on a pile of threads to have time for my own. It'd be boring anyway....believe me it would!! ;)
My 'way with words' is sporadic
icon_lol.gif
like an allergy :giggle:
Glad to 'see' you around hun :D:D

Back