Dinkie Dawnies Dubious Diary of Downsizing, Deflation, and Debauchery

Here's 'little' Simba ... before she grew up lol! And another taken in the car on holiday (in the Lakes) last year xx

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110707_134950.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110707_134950.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Photo-0607.jpg
    Photo-0607.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 26
Dawn - what a heart breaking story about both your auntie and both dogs.

Have you though about going to a rescue for your new dog Dawn? There are so many that are overrun with unwanted puppies of all breeds, shapes and sizes.

Enjoy your new puppy Dawn!

Absolutely!!! Simba was a rescue dog from a small re homing centre very close to here, which is sadly no longer in existence. I remember our first visit there, 16 yrs ago, where we went outside to one of the sheds and when the door opened we were engulfed by 6 waddling fat little pups!!! They were all gorgeous, but one just stood out for us as she had a jet black face, and she was all over us lol! So we reserved her, picked her up when she was 6 weeks old...and had the pleasure of her wonderful company for over 15 years until last year, when she sadly became seriously ill with a suspected brain tumour (she'd had other tumours removed) :cry:

We belong to an online shih tzu forum which has links to various re homing centres (not just shih tzus), and we are making inquiries to a centre in Manchester (who rescue unwanted shih tzus from breeders) to be put on their waiting list. But in the mean time I'm scouring the internet and local papers etc, just in case there's a little girl out there who needs us as much as we need her! :fingerscrossed:

awhhhhhh :cry::cry:

In the sad reality of our health service, and your poor auntie is a prime example of negligence, pets receive better healthcare than humans!

Aww those dogs are just adorable, hope you find the perfect pooch soon Dawn xx

Aww your poor auntie :hug99: but it was nice for her to know that her Sophie would be going to a nice home, where she knew it would be looked after properly.

She sounds like she was a really lovely little bundle of fluff. Shih Tzu's always seem to have so much character about them.

Like you Dawn, I am definitely a big dog person - I love mastiffs especially the French mastiff (dogue de bordeaux) and I also love and want a Rottie! :D But not allowed! :(

It does annoy me when breeders just get rid of their dogs once they don't want them, ones like that you can just tell they are just in it for the money. Which is such a shame! :(

xx

Hi Dawn

Just been reading and looking at the piccies of your bridge doggies :) so sad. We have a collie x named Carla, Shes two now but scared of everything in life, dogs,people, carrier bags you name it :rolleyes: all good fun. Shes genetically nervous. In all my life never had a dog like her or known one but love her to bits. THink I'm known round here as the mad dog woman as shes rather unique.

Didn't realise you lived so near to me :)

Goodluck looking for the perfect doggie. Have you looked at Animals in Need, at Little Irchester?

Were you looking for a puppy?

Theres a lady on my fb trying to rehome her little jack russell :( I was tempted but no good when Carla is worried about so much.

xxxxx

Aww goregous.

I've got 2 rotties Bexyboo, love em to bits. We had 2 previously and they both lived to 10 years old which is pretty good for rotties. They are good guard dogs but big softies, pampered pooches! In fact so pampered they get fish from fish shop on their birthdays!

Hey Dawn, I've only gone and done my own diary!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
Get me eh?

xxxxx

Hi ladies,

Thanks for all your lovely comments on my little girls xx They were so gorgeous xx

Jackie...I have Animals in Need Maxicare on FB lol!!! Have been following their animals for ages!!! I think we would like to get a puppy this time, as we intend to take her everywhere we go so would like to raise her to be used to that. I'm finding it hard to detach myself from some of the (much) older dogs who REALLY need a loving home to end their years in...but I know I can't face losing another dog too soon. It has crossed my mind to get a pup now, and then maybe later on adopt an ex breeding dog, as they are normally only allowed to be adopted into homes which already have a dog because they need to learn doggy social skills from them. You know, some of these poor dogs have never lived in a family environment, or been walked on a lead...it's shocking :mad:

Now I just HAVE to tell you about the soup I made earlier, which is a recipe from the lovely minimum...

"Homemade Lentil and Bacon Soup

Red Split Lentils (bag of)
Bacon x 6 rashers cut into small pieces
Onions
Carrots
Potatoes (optional but good for your speed foods)
Knorr vegetable stock pot x 2
Salt and pepper

Wash Lentils thouroghly and place in a saucepan, add chopped onions, carrots, potatoes, stock pots, and salt and pepper... Add water just above the level of all ingredients. Leave to boil with lid on for approx 30 mins whilst stirring occasionally. Keep the water topped up to just above the ingredients level and leave to boil for a further 30 mins. The soup is ready when the lentils have turned soft and have changed colour into an orange colour. I eat it like this but you may want to blend."

It was absolutely delicious!!! :eating:

I did have to make a few alterations as I didn't have any carrots or spuds so I added...

chopped red pepper
chopped celery
finely chopped garlic
chopped fresh green beans
(only had normal knorr veg stock cubes so used 3 of them)

After it had cooled, I put half in a separate bowl and blended it, then mixed it with the un blended soup. Very very tastey, and filling, and FREEEEE on EE and green!!!!!

Hey Dawn, I've only gone and done my own diary!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
Get me eh?

xxxxx

Well it's about bloody time lol!!! :rolleyes:

Can you put the link to it on your signature hunni? :D I can find it by going to your profile and then to threads you've started, but you will get loads more people on it if it's on your sig xxx

I'm heading there now...here I come...;)

Good luck for WI :)

That soup sounds yummy - I always seem to eat the same kinds so may give this one a try at the weekend xx

I've been meaning to try Mini-mums soup for ages.
What size bag of lentils please? As I can get about 4 different sizes here and I don't fancy feeding the 5000!

Another tip - have you tried the new Knorr jars? We have the chicken granules variety that I got when in UK - I think they do veggy too. They aren't granules - they are actually powder. I'll post a piccie when I can get my bl**dy camera to talk to my PC. Something very strange going on.

*** EDIT ***
per 100 ml of made-up stock they are 8 kcal - so probably free. Not as nice as Stock Pots but infinitely better than cubes.

Attachments

• Knorr Chicken Granules.jpg
    Knorr Chicken Granules.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I've been meaning to try Mini-mums soup for ages.
What size bag of lentils please? As I can get about 4 different sizes here and I don't fancy feeding the 5000!

Another tip - have you tried the new Knorr jars? We have the chicken granules variety that I got when in UK - I think they do veggy too. They aren't granules - they are actually powder. I'll post a piccie when I can get my bl**dy camera to talk to my PC. Something very strange going on.

*** EDIT ***
per 100 ml of made-up stock they are 8 kcal - so probably free. Not as nice as Stock Pots but infinitely better than cubes.

Now that looks really nice...and I bet they dissolve well too.

I used a 500g bag of lentils, 2 onions, 1 stick celery, 1/2 red pepper, handful of green beans, 3 cloves of garlic, 3 stock cubes, 3 rashers of bacon, salt and pepper, and I think that would make about 5 to 6 decent portions xx Gwyn and I really enjoyed it so :thankyou: Minimum xx

Loved the dog story Dawn, your poor Auntie though. She'd have been so glad that you took Sophie in.
We had our little Cavalier from a rescue place, she'd belonged to an elderly widower who had to go into a home and was supposed to be in good health and 4 years old. Ha! My 2nd daughter longed for a monkey :rolleyes: but we said 'No' - poor monkey. We said that she could have a dog of her own instead, thinking that when she lost interest the dog wouldn't care, being part of a big family and living with other dogs. So little Holly came, she was so fat that she looked looked a Pekinese. Turned out that she already had Pyometra (and I'm sure that the rehoming place knew) so a week after we had her we took her to the vet and had to decide to have her put down or operated on immediately. Guess which? Muggins :rolleyes:. Then there were the two operations on her teeth, and the heart murmer which this breed are prone to.....£££££:eek:.....Anyway sweet little Holly knew she was DD 2's dog, it was really strange. We'd all come home and she'd run up to the car, look at everyone and pick out M, every time. She'd sit by her feet in the sitting room, try to sneak upstairs with her (no dogs allowed on furniture or upstairs here!)
Holly was treated like the other family dogs, came out with me when I rode, lost weight, fed properly and was clipped very short so she was cool and didn't get stuck in brambles when she went rabbiting. She just blossomed and of all the dogs we have ever had was the only one I would guarantee would never, ever bite, she had just the sweetest nature. We had her for about 6 years. M used to feed all the dogs when she came home from school, she was 16 and just about to take her GCSE's the following week. I drove home from school, dogs met us in the yard and Holly ran up to the house to be fed with the others, ears flapping. Once on the lobby/dog room she collapsed, as if fainting. I rang the vet and said we were bringing her straight in, wrapped her in a towel as she was losing control of her bladder/bowel and back into town with DD2 very quickly. Into the vet and Holly died on the table, a heart attack, we brought her home, laid her in her bed so the other dogs could see and then later buried her in the evening as the sun was going down. Just by the back door, where she liked to lie. Poor M was so sad and missed her so much. Turned out that Holly was about 14, so had been about 8 when we had her, not 4...hmmm.....

Ramble ramble!

Evening girlies, and Stalker Steve if you're about :peep:

Well...I feel a bit :eek: to post this as I'm not really sure how it's come about...and I don't really deserve it :ashamed0005: especially when other people have been so good and haven't got the good losses they deserve, but I lost 2.5lbs and got my 4st shiny! :confused:

I'm very pleased obviously but rather surprised too. I have never come back from holiday without having a gain on my following wi. Looking back, I did try to be a little restrained while we were away without actually counting anything...

We had a big breakfast consisting of a bowl of muesli or all bran, followed by 2 x wm toast. This was a ploy to try and fill me up so I wouldn't want much lunch, if at all
We did a lot of walking...very easy to do in the Lakes
We didn't go too mad with alcohol...just one or two glasses of wine a night :sigh:
We heeded lovely Gails advice to try and have some home cooked meals instead of takeaways EVERY night like we usually do. And I have to say it was good fun as the boys each cooked a meal too :eating:

And of course we were lucky enough to be asked to dinner with Gail and Jules on the day we came home :D So mentally I felt obliged to remain "on plan" straight after the holiday, as otherwise it would have meant Gail and Jules time and effort into preparing special sw food for us would have been all for nothing...so :thankyou: again ladies xx

Even so...I am totally gobsmacked to have lost this week, and incredibly thrilled to have got my new shiny!!! :happy036:

Still can't believe it...4 blooming stones!!! :wee::wee::wee::wee:

Todays Food

42g all bran (B)
125ml ss milk (1/2 A)

minimums lentil and bacon soup
yoghurt

jacket spud
butter (2)
21g 1/2 f cheese (1/2 A)
baked beans
salad
salad cream (2)
g&t (3)

Total syns:- 7
Exercise:- none

Last edited:
Loved the dog story Dawn, your poor Auntie though. She'd have been so glad that you took Sophie in.
We had our little Cavalier from a rescue place, she'd belonged to an elderly widower who had to go into a home and was supposed to be in good health and 4 years old. Ha! My 2nd daughter longed for a monkey :rolleyes: but we said 'No' - poor monkey. We said that she could have a dog of her own instead, thinking that when she lost interest the dog wouldn't care, being part of a big family and living with other dogs. So little Holly came, she was so fat that she looked looked a Pekinese. Turned out that she already had Pyometra (and I'm sure that the rehoming place knew) so a week after we had her we took her to the vet and had to decide to have her put down or operated on immediately. Guess which? Muggins :rolleyes:. Then there were the two operations on her teeth, and the heart murmer which this breed are prone to.....£££££:eek:.....Anyway sweet little Holly knew she was DD 2's dog, it was really strange. We'd all come home and she'd run up to the car, look at everyone and pick out M, every time. She'd sit by her feet in the sitting room, try to sneak upstairs with her (no dogs allowed on furniture or upstairs here!)
Holly was treated like the other family dogs, came out with me when I rode, lost weight, fed properly and was clipped very short so she was cool and didn't get stuck in brambles when she went rabbiting. She just blossomed and of all the dogs we have ever had was the only one I would guarantee would never, ever bite, she had just the sweetest nature. We had her for about 6 years. M used to feed all the dogs when she came home from school, she was 16 and just about to take her GCSE's the following week. I drove home from school, dogs met us in the yard and Holly ran up to the house to be fed with the others, ears flapping. Once on the lobby/dog room she collapsed, as if fainting. I rang the vet and said we were bringing her straight in, wrapped her in a towel as she was losing control of her bladder/bowel and back into town with DD2 very quickly. Into the vet and Holly died on the table, a heart attack, we brought her home, laid her in her bed so the other dogs could see and then later buried her in the evening as the sun was going down. Just by the back door, where she liked to lie. Poor M was so sad and missed her so much. Turned out that Holly was about 14, so had been about 8 when we had her, not 4...hmmm.....

Ramble ramble!

Aww Bess, what a terribly sad but happy story about your little Holly xx She really landed on her feet when you took her on! Don't you think that dogs repay any kindness shown to them ten fold? And probably MUCH more than a monkey would lol!!!

Well done you for welcoming an older dog into your home xxx

Evening girlies, and Stalker Steve if you're about :peep:

Well...I feel a bit :eek: to post this as I'm not really sure how it's come about...and I don't really deserve it :ashamed0005: especially when other people have been so good and haven't got the good losses they deserve, but I lost 2.5lbs and got my 4st shiny! :confused:

I'm very pleased obviously but rather surprised too. I have never come back from holiday without having a gain on my following wi. Looking back, I did try to be a little restrained while we were away without actually counting anything...

We had a big breakfast consisting of a bowl of muesli or all bran, followed by 2 x wm toast. This was a ploy to try and fill me up so I wouldn't want much lunch, if at all
We did a lot of walking...very easy to do in the Lakes
We didn't go too mad with alcohol...just one or two glasses of wine a night :sigh:
We heeded lovely Gails advice to try and have some home cooked meals instead of takeaways EVERY night like we usually do. And I have to say it was good fun as the boys each cooked a meal too :eating:

And of course we were lucky enough to be asked to dinner with Gail and Jules on the day we came home :D So mentally I felt obliged to remain "on plan" straight after the holiday, as otherwise it would have meant Gail and Jules time and effort into preparing special sw food for us would have been all for nothing...so :thankyou: again ladies xx

Even so...I am totally gobsmacked to have lost this week, and incredibly thrilled to have got my new shiny!!! :happy036:

Still can't believe it...4 blooming stones!!! :wee::wee::wee::wee:

Dawn that is AMAZING!! Well done hun I am really pleased for you :talk017:

You shouldn't be worried about posting and celebrating your loss because you have worked bloomin hard to get that 4 stone off and you should be proud of your accomplishment! :D

That is what this site is all about! We celebrate with each and when one of us needs it we give support and I am glad that you are celebrating tonight as you deserve it x x x

Well done Dawn on the loss .... we'll join you in celebrating and no need to be embarrassed.

As for doggies - I did have a white miniature poodle when the children were young as I didn't want the bother of shedding hair all over the place. He was a terribly grumpy dog and I was never comfortable with him even tho' he slept on the foot of our bed. He died of old age and much later I got a Jack Russell from the dogs home who was the most adorable and lovely little thing you could imagine. She had been owned by travellers previously and had been very badly treated having had her front teeth kicked out and lots of scars on her back where they had whipped her. Well worth putting up with the constant hairs everywhere... :)

Very well done on your loss Dawn :woohoo: And of course on your new shiny too :party0019: You're quite right to be celebrating my lovely, you've worked hard enough for it :hug99:

Back