Dinkie Dawnies Dubious Diary of Downsizing, Deflation, and Debauchery

Evening dawn your tea looks very yummy ..... Any chance of the recipe please :) thanks sarah x

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

Sure Sarah, here you go...:D

Cauliflower and broccoli cheesy bake - serves 4
(4 syns per serving on all plans)

Ingredients

500g broccoli/cauliflower florets
8 spring onions, finely chopped
200g cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
2 large eggs, beaten
200g fat free cottage cheese with spring onion and chives OR 200g quark with some chopped chives added
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
salt and freshly ground pepper
4 tbsp chopped parsley
110g half fat cheddar

Preheat the oven to 220c/gas 7

Cook the broccoli/cauliflower in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Add the spring onions and cherry tomatoes to the broccoli/cauliflower, mix and spoon into an oven proof dish.

Whisk the eggs in a bowl with the cottage cheese/quark and garlic until smooth. Season well and add the parsley.

Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and stir briefly to distribute the ingredients evenly. Sprinkle the cheese on top and cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the mixture has just set.

Remove from the oven and serve immediately.

I didn't have any parsley but it was still very nice. And I added extra cheese to make it up to 4 HEA's, so it was actually free as long as I counted it as one of my HEA's. I used quark in mine and chives from the garden. It is VERY filling btw! :p

Er - absolutely!!!! It's even better that my misdemeanours on Thursday night, and that was bad enough. :eat:

I see there was one man surrounded by all you lovely ladies. Lucky man to have so many beautiful chicas around him. What was the night out for? Something special?

Seriously though, regarding wine and quantity required to get tiddly.
Age certainly has something to do with it, but I also find that since I've been doing SW it's been a lot worse. 2 reasons I think:
1. Because I'm eating less carbs and fats there's nothing to help soak it up !!!
2. As I don't drink as much any more (too many syns) my body just can't take it!

3 small glasses is about my limit now. I'm on my 3rd now and surprised that my brain is still functioning - although I do have to keep correcting my spelling !!!

It was a special occasion actually :) The night was organised to say goodbye to one of the girls who's leaving the ambulance service to be the deputy manageress of a children's home. Hayley's a lovely girl and we're all going to miss her loads :cry:

I never really thought about why I get tipsy more quickly now :confused:...but what you say probably does make sense :D I remember the days when I used to like dry cider, and if I hadn't been :9529: in the pub loo before I went home then I'd class it as a bad night!!! :eek:

Thanks for the recipe - this is definitley on my "to try" list.
I do like cauli and broccoli but the only way I can eat is in a cheese sauce!

Pommette said:
Thanks for the recipe - this is definitley on my "to try" list.
I do like cauli and broccoli but the only way I can eat is in a cheese sauce!

Lol! I'm the same! Not actually a huge fan of either, but I can eat ANYTHING if there's cheese on it!

sarahrad said:
Thanks dawn will be trying this this week and know bella will love it too! X sarah. X

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

You're welcome :)

One word of warning...

Gwyn and I are finding it VERY windy round here this morning, iykwim!!! ;)

Morning Dawn,
I love cauliflower and broccolli cheese, which is just as well with the amount of them that I have been expected to eat this week from my fathers garden:eek:

julesm said:
Oh woof that brocolli cheesy bake just looks amazing!! And how do you get your SW chips to look so lovely? :)

Lol jules xx It's probably right up your street actually. I think I cooked the veg too long as it was a bit soft but still nice.
I make the chips with a chopper thing that mum gave me!! It cuts them really small so they're lovely and crunchy. And I always turn the heat up just before dishing up xx

. . . I think I cooked the veg too long as it was a bit soft but still nice.
I often do cauli & broccoli cheese in the oven and actually don't cook it at all first. But I do like my veg very crunchy and this works well.

Going to do a very small portion of your cheesey bake one night during the week to have as a veg with a steak and will try it not pre-cooked and report back.

Now that makes sense pommette xx. I took the recipe from a sw book so presumably its been tested ... I may have just cooked it too long! I'd be interested to know how u get on xxx

Ooh that back looks yummy- I am sooo hungry now, need to get off here and actually feed myself!

Your night at the Chinese sounds amazing - I do love a chinese buffet, altho the Jimmy Chungs around here is crap and the only other Chinese restaurant is really expensive, so I'm not that tempted!! Well done you for managing to eat all that food, even withut being on sw, I think I'd struggle unless you were literally having one mouthful of each thing!

As for the time you class as getting up late - is 6.30pm ok... That's about when I'll be getting up lol

Hello Dawn and lovely ladies :)

Sounds like good weekends all round! Dawn, that bake looks delish - another one I am going to have to copy I think!

Exciting to be getting the new pup soon.

Hope all is ok with your bro xx

Afternoon ladies,

Well I was so busy nosing at every ones diaries yesterday that I forgot to post my food last night. In my defence, it was actually a busy day all round, and my food was a bit naughty anyway :eek: , which is why the scales are showing I've put 2lbs on this morning :sigh: (and I suppose the chinese buffet hasn't helped either :eek: )

We invited Shirley to church yesterday and we had a lovely morning. Gwyn took the service, which was a really informal 'hymm service' where we had a go at singing some hymms we didn't know :eek: Well it was all a bit of a laugh really as we were all over the place with some of them lol! Gwyn had had a practise with the organist last week though so he was brilliant...but he's got a lovely voice any way. After the service we had a cuppa, then back home for dinner which Shirley and sons 1 & 2 joined us for. The afternoon was spent watching the motor racing, and then the cricket :zz:

Sundays Food

2 x wm toast (B)
butter (2)
marmite

gammon salad
new pots
salad cream (2)
strawberries
meringue (2)
squirty cream (2)
sloe gin (2)
wine (9)

noodles
soy sauce
G&T (2.5)
125 ml ss milk (0.5 A ... forgot to have the 2nd half)

Total syns:- 19 :sign0007: hence the 2lb gain today :badmood:

Sooo...

today I'm trying to rein it it a bit! :innocent0001:

I took Shirley to her hospital appointment earlier where she had an injection in her knee to try to alleviate the pain of the onset of arthritis, and then we went to the crematorium to visit my auntie and pap. Shirley came back for a cuppa and a natter, and now I'm trying to think of what to cook for tea :confused: I'm thinking salad maybe, with a nice mushroom omelette...:thinking2: but that could all change! Will update later.

Think I'll have a sit on the old exercise bike while I think about dinner! Ex hubby has offered me the loan of a machine he's got which tones up your tummy and leg muscles so I think I'm going to take him up on that...goodness knows where I'm going to put it though...

Todays Food

28g bran flakes (part B)
125ml ss milk (part A)

ryvita (rest of B)
salmon
salad
salad cream (2)
apple

ham, mushroom and onion omelette
salad
salad cream (3)
yoghurt (2)
125ml ss milk (rest of A)

Total syns:- 7
Exercise:- 15 mins exercise bike

Last edited:
A mushroom omelette sounds yummy i think i might have that for breakfast in the morning!

Hope the injection helps Shirley with the pain.

dont worry about the 2 pound gain i stood on the wii on the yesterday and it said i had gained 4 pound whoops saying that though i have some ww scales and i stood on them and it said i weighed 71 pound, 158 pound lost i think they must be broke and ill just wait for official weigh in on thursday!! lol

Hi Dawn. Iv just stumbled across your diary and after reading your first post i just had to respond. Your doing so well, and you've been through so much. I have to ask, and i hope you do not find me rude- how do you dig deep to that motivation to loose weight over again when youv lost it once and then have to tackle it all over again when life gets in the way and throws you from the wagon? 5stones is alot to loose, and when i hit target.. iv always known deep down.. if i ever put it all back on- id never get it back off again because i simply found it quite an emotional rollercoaster aswell as a physical effort if that makes sense.. anyways, now im a few weeks from having my first baby and iv piled all my weight back on- of course some is baby.. but certainly not all!!! .. and my mind is constantly plagued with the knowlege that i have to get back on track asap.. but im an all or nothing kinda girl and i know i have to wait untill baby is out and were are settled in order to give it my all.. but i worry i wont be able to do it again. :( .. do you have any advise?

xxxxxxxx massive congratulations on your success honey xxxxxxxxx

Hiya,
Just catching up on your little world from the past few days. That brocolli/cauliflower dish looks lush. Have noted the recipe down and think I will give it a shot at some point.
I wouldnt worry about the 2lb. Just be sensible and hopefully it'll come off. Your body will fluctuate weight throughout the week anyway.
What did you decide on for dinner in the end?
x

Hi Dawn. Iv just stumbled across your diary and after reading your first post i just had to respond. Your doing so well, and you've been through so much. I have to ask, and i hope you do not find me rude- how do you dig deep to that motivation to loose weight over again when youv lost it once and then have to tackle it all over again when life gets in the way and throws you from the wagon? 5stones is alot to loose, and when i hit target.. iv always known deep down.. if i ever put it all back on- id never get it back off again because i simply found it quite an emotional rollercoaster aswell as a physical effort if that makes sense.. anyways, now im a few weeks from having my first baby and iv piled all my weight back on- of course some is baby.. but certainly not all!!! .. and my mind is constantly plagued with the knowlege that i have to get back on track asap.. but im an all or nothing kinda girl and i know i have to wait untill baby is out and were are settled in order to give it my all.. but i worry i wont be able to do it again. :( .. do you have any advise?

xxxxxxxx massive congratulations on your success honey xxxxxxxxx

Hi Fern :D

Of COURSE I don't think you're rude!!! Why on earth would I think that when you've been kind enough to take the time to look through my diary and then comment? :thankyou:

Well, I feel a bit embarrassed :eek: to even think of offering you advice when I've looked at your photos and seen how well you've done! :happy096: And a finalist in YSOTY to boot!!! :winner: My goodness...I hope you're very proud of yourself Fern xx

And now a baby on the way too :family2: ...and not long to go either! Big big congratulations to you :clap:

When I took the decision in January to lose weight, again, I already knew that Dad was dying and so I was well aware of how difficult it was going to be. My previous attempts had been successful, but I've never been able to maintain my loss, and sooner or later I've ended up back where I started :( And the reason for this has always been emotional eating, usual story for most of us I suppose :sigh:

But this time, I was more prepared I think. I got it into my head that if I could lose weight while Dad was so ill, then I could do it ANY time. And of course Dad was all for it as he was really concerned for my health because I was fast approaching 16 stones.

It was hard, starting yet again, and having the constant stress of worrying about Dad, but I was talked into trying the EE plan by my consultant and I'm so glad she did! The other times I did SW it was red and green days, which was ok but I found them restricting. With EE I really didn't feel I was on a diet.

And I can't remember how, but I stumbled across this website which I truly believe has kept me from giving up when things were at their worst. My friends here, and I do class them as real friends, stopped me from going under. I wrote my feelings down here, my hopes, my fears, anything that I felt I needed to talk about. Quite often, I didn't write about anything food related at all. But I ALWAYS got a response. Night or day, there was some one prepared to listen and respond. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't all doom and gloom, and even during the darkest days we still managed to find something to laugh about :rolleyes: And I have kept all the lovely PMs I received offering comfort and support.

So I have to be honest and say that I don't think I can take all the credit for my weight loss this time! It's been a team effort! :grouphugg: I WAS very motivated, and obviously that's a major factor, and I was determined that I wasn't going to let Dad down. He would have been devastated to think that he had been the cause of my failing and giving up, and there was NO way I was having that! Dad never gave up.

I don't think you're going to have any problems finding your motivation again hunni :D You managed to maintain for so long...such a hard thing to do...and I'm sure you'd still be at target now if you weren't pregnant. In just over 3 weeks time you are going to have the biggest motivational tool you could ever have...a little bundle that you would lay down your life for. Nothing prepares you for the love you'll feel, and you're going to want to be the best mummy you can. Your baby needs you to be fit and healthy, so you WILL do it for you and your baby :heartpump:

Besides, looking at your pregnancy album, it looks to me like your weight gain is mainly down to your bump!!! You really don't look as if YOU have put much on at all!!! So you might find it's not as bad as you thought! :D And you must give your body a little time to recover before you go launching yourself back into SW :eek: Although I believe SW is probably one of the safest healthy eating plans you could do. A young lady in my class had her first baby a couple of months ago and has lost around 2 stones already! I think she put on around 5st during her pregnancy. She looks great and so does her son, who she brings to class every week without fail.

And lastly, please stop worrying!!! You shouldn't be thinking about dieting when you have an imminent birth pending lol!!! Enjoy the last weeks of your pregnancy, enjoy the whole birth experience (I enjoyed all 3 of mine!) and enjoy your beautiful new baby!

Please keep in touch too, I'd love to know how you're getting on. And when you're ready to start back up again, I'll help you with your motivation :whip: and you can give me some maintaining tips :whoopass: cos I hope I'll be very close to target by then! :cross:

Take care of BOTH of you ;) I'm very jealous...I'd love to be starting out again...and I just LOVED being pregnant! Suppose I'm just going to have to make do with the new little puppy we're getting soon...ooh...in 3 weeks actually!!! LOL! Wonder if we'll become mummys on the same day lol!!! ;)

Back