Dinkie Dawnies Dubious Diary of Downsizing, Deflation, and Debauchery

Hi folks x

Well that's it...Dad has been laid to rest and it's all finished now :(

Gwyn and I met Shirley, my brother David and his wife Kerri and daughter Maddy at the little cemetery in the village this morning. We didn't have a ceremony or anything formal...we simply took it in turns to scatter handfuls of ashes onto the grave (which is actually Dads mums grave) And we just said our own private farewells to Dad.

Then we drove to the crematorium where Dads dad is buried, and we scattered the other half of Dad's ashes on paps grave. It was Dads wishes to be with his mum and dad.

Afterwards we went for lunch at the village pub where we had Dads wake, and I'm afraid SW went totally out of the window! I had rump steak & chips, with a peppercorn sauce...followed by treacle pudding and custard! But I did have a diet coke lol!!! And actually, we had a really nice time just chatting and eating! My brother even got a certificate for managing to eat all his main course...a HUGE dish of fish & chips called the Cod Father lol!

When we finished, Dave & Kerri needed to go food shopping so we offered to take Maddy back with us and get her to help us put the Halloween decorations up. So we had quite a lot of fun, sticking up cobwebs and spiders everywhere!

As we weren't really hungry by tonight, Gwyn just had some cake and I had a banana with some 2% Greek yoghurt, and an apple.

Thanks to you all for such supportive messages about today, and to Valerie for the pm xxx It's so lovely to know people are thinking about you at times like this xxx

Take care folks xxx

Attachments

• Gwyn & Maddie meal.jpg
    Gwyn & Maddie meal.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Shirley  Kerri meal.jpg
    Shirley Kerri meal.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 37
  • David & certificate.jpg
    David & certificate.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 56
  • maddie meal.jpg
    maddie meal.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 46
Few more pics (no mini skirt though Steve! ;))...

Two were taken on our meal out on Friday night, and the rest are some of our Halloween decorations...

Attachments

• Hayle and Dawn Abbies do.jpg
    Hayle and Dawn Abbies do.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Hayley & Dawn at Abbies leaving do.jpg
    Hayley & Dawn at Abbies leaving do.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 37
  • Pumpkin5.jpg
    Pumpkin5.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 69
  • cobwebs1.jpg
    cobwebs1.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 53
Well done honey for getting through the day. It sounded like it went as well as could be expected. I think yesterday was a day when SW didn't matter. I'm glad you had a nice meal.
The photos are FAB. Who carved the pumpkin? that is amazing work! I bet Maddie loved decorating the house ha ha. Brilliant stuff.
What do you have planned for today?x

Good morning lovely dawn, have a lovely day today xx

pjallen1982 said:
Well done honey for getting through the day. It sounded like it went as well as could be expected. I think yesterday was a day when SW didn't matter. I'm glad you had a nice meal.
The photos are FAB. Who carved the pumpkin? that is amazing work! I bet Maddie loved decorating the house ha ha. Brilliant stuff.
What do you have planned for today?x

shenzi said:
Good morning lovely dawn, have a lovely day today xx

bexyboo said:
Morning Dawn.

Have a nice day today. :) Pumpkin looks fab :) x

Morning ladies x

Thank you x Looking back, it was quite a good day considering, and I'm really not bothered about the food. Definately not a sw day!

I carved the pumpkin yesterday morning while everyone else was in bed! It's actually not as hard as it looks as I got the template from a website. I've never tried that before and I really enjoyed doing it. Nearly cut my thumb off in the process though lol!

I'm not really sure what to do today. I'm hoping to go and see mum at some point, to sort out the arrangements for the cats for when she's in hospital. She has to go into the Glenfield in Leicester next weekend for about a week. The doctors want to operate on her lungs to see exactly what these nodules are as they are growing in size and number. I can't quite believe we're going through all this worry again, having only just lost Dad, but we're obviously hoping that its something completely different and not serious. However the operation IS quite a serious one, and she will be in a lot of discomfort afterwards, so I may ask her to stay with us or I might have to move in with her for a while.
I wanted to pop into town today as well, and get some cooking done, and some housework, and we've got dog training tonight...and I'm still in my dressing gown so off to the shower now and get organised!

See you later xxx

Hi Dawn, I'm glad yesterday went well for you. It's done now hun xx

My heart just jumped a beat when I read your last post. I lost Dad in Feb 10 - he was diagnosed with lung cancer at the beginning of Dec 09 after months and months of inconclusive tests and within a week it was confirmed that the cancer had spread to the brain :( Within weeks of losing him Mum had a call back to the hospital regarding nodules on her lung! To begin with tests were inconclusive but because of what we went through with Dad she pushed it so that she had more thorough tests - this resulted in her having the nodules cut out of her lung successfully ... then 6 months later the same operation on her other lung.

Fingers crossed the same thing can be done with your mum hun. If you need someone to talk to, I'm here. Along with all your other Mini Buddies too of course ;)

hi dawn i'm glad u got through yesterday ok xx sorry to hear about ur mum :fingerscrossed: that all goes well.Pumpkin looked fab i didn't know u could get a template to do it (u shouldn't have told us about that ;) lol)
hope you have a good day today
love val xx

Yesterday sounds nice - I know that's not the right word but I'm sure you know what I'm trying to say.

I hope all goes well for your mum.

Puppy classes :rolleyes: We once got banned from puppy classes. We had a mongrel at the time and she was a real looney. Lovely but looney. The trainer said you need to be firm give me the dog and I will show you. He ended up flat on his face cos the dog tripped him up and that's when he banned us :)

That'll be because he's exactly the same build - and colouring and everything - as Gwyn.

More like Dawns build:p

Hi folks x

Well that's it...Dad has been laid to rest and it's all finished now :(

Gwyn and I met Shirley, my brother David and his wife Kerri and daughter Maddy at the little cemetery in the village this morning. We didn't have a ceremony or anything formal...we simply took it in turns to scatter handfuls of ashes onto the grave (which is actually Dads mums grave) And we just said our own private farewells to Dad.

Then we drove to the crematorium where Dads dad is buried, and we scattered the other half of Dad's ashes on paps grave. It was Dads wishes to be with his mum and dad.

Afterwards we went for lunch at the village pub where we had Dads wake, and I'm afraid SW went totally out of the window! I had rump steak & chips, with a peppercorn sauce...followed by treacle pudding and custard! But I did have a diet coke lol!!! And actually, we had a really nice time just chatting and eating! My brother even got a certificate for managing to eat all his main course...a HUGE dish of fish & chips called the Cod Father lol!

When we finished, Dave & Kerri needed to go food shopping so we offered to take Maddy back with us and get her to help us put the Halloween decorations up. So we had quite a lot of fun, sticking up cobwebs and spiders everywhere!

As we weren't really hungry by tonight, Gwyn just had some cake and I had a banana with some 2% Greek yoghurt, and an apple.

Thanks to you all for such supportive messages about today, and to Valerie for the pm xxx It's so lovely to know people are thinking about you at times like this xxx

Take care folks xxx

Well done on the diet coke chick - it probably helped save the day;)

Few more pics (no mini skirt though Steve! ;))...

Two were taken on our meal out on Friday night, and the rest are some of our Halloween decorations...

Never mind mini-skirt pics, (seen plenty of you nekked anyway) how about some pics of this CodFather challenge?

Is it like Man v Food on the telly? - was it like a battered whale with 2lb of chips???

I want to do that challenge!!

I want one of them certificates to put alongside my SOTW certificate lol

I hope all goes as well as it can for your mum Dawn. xxx

I love Man V Food - None of the food challenges ever look SW friendly tho :( And I've just watched Dangerous Food where they made 100lb burger... It looked so yummy, but I'm not sure I could eat a whole one ;)

Glad you got on ok yesterday Dawn, it was never going to be an easy day for you, but you have a wonderful family around you and it is nice to get together occasionally, even if not for the reason you would wish.

Hope things go well for your Mum, and it's nice to see a positive story from Ali to help you along:) xxx

I love Man V Food - None of the food challenges ever look SW friendly tho :( And I've just watched Dangerous Food where they made 100lb burger... It looked so yummy, but I'm not sure I could eat a whole one ;)

Glad you got on ok yesterday Dawn, it was never going to be an easy day for you, but you have a wonderful family around you and it is nice to get together occasionally, even if not for the reason you would wish.

Hope things go well for your Mum, and it's nice to see a positive story from Ali to help you along:) xxx

Aww, thanks for that Mav. I was thinking about popping back onto my thread and deleting it as I thought is was a bit personal at this raw time for Dawn :( You've made me feel a bit better xx

Hey, whilst I'm here - let me just say have a fab time with OH when he comes back from that horrible place! Only 5 days to go eh?? Careful though! My Ryan was conceived on R&R!!!!

I'm sure Dawn will be the first to say don't you dare delete it!! And don't worry about upsetting other people - we all go through tough times and here is a great place to vent :)

I will have a fab time when my boy comes back, but I can assure you there will be no "happy accidents"! I like to think I'm still too much of a kid myself ;) xxxx

Evening ladies, and Sarah and Stalker Steve too!

Now then Ali...what's all this nonsense about deleting posts??? It was lovely to read you had a happy ending and it gives me hope that we can have the same. In the last 3 years, I have lost my auntie, nan, dad, uncle and 2 dogs to cancer. Before that, I also lost both my paps to it. So our family only knows cancer as a killer, and we kinda expect the worst each time someone is ill. But you've shown us that that isn't always the case...so thank you so much for that Ali xxx

Tilly...now why am I not surprised that you got banned from puppy training classes lol! Are you sure it was the pup that got banned, and not you for laughing hysterically at the poor chap!

Steve...you promised never to mention THOSE photos...I thought you were a gentleman! :(

And that Cod Father challenge was great! It was a huge piece of battered cod, with chips, mushy peas, pickles etc. and when the landlady saw Daves empty plate she said she'd got to fetch him a certificate! We thought she was joking, but she soon returned and presented Dave with it! What we didn't tell her was that Dave had just finished off Shirleys dinner, and Maddys, and he had suet treacle sponge and custard for afters!

To everyone who's commented recently on here...thank you very much for your good wishes and concern x To be honest, 'thank you' doesn't really seem enough. I've never had so many people looking out for me before...the support here is second to none and its all down to you lovely ladies, and Sarah, and Steve xxx

So, quick update on today as I've rambled on quite long enough.

I didn't go to mums as she was going to be out most of the day. So I busied myself with taking down the Halloween decs and some housework.

Then I decided I was in a cooking mood so I made Dan a low protein loaf, some lp mushroom/onion/leek pies, some lp pancakes, and a lp version of millionaires shortbread. Bless him...he was over the moon when he came in from work!

And puppy class was just the best fun ever! Andrew came with me, and Suki just loved every minute of it. There are only 4 other pups so its not a big class, and the girl that runs it is brilliant x

Right, just my food to post now...EE day.

42g cruncy bran (B)
250ml ss milk (1/2 A)

Home made tom soup (1)
Banana and Yoghurt (1)
Apple

Beef stew (1)
Tinned oranges in juice
Yoghurt
Apple

Frozen yoghurt

Total syns:- 3

Evening Dawn - or should that be morning?

Your pumpkin is brilliant! Template or no. There's no way I could have done anything like that. So well done you.

Glad that Monday went without a hitch and that you had a lovely family get-together afterwards.

Also glad that Suki is enjoying puppy training. I tried to take our Jack Russell / Border Terrier cross to classes many years ago. never got past the door as she just would NOT go in. All the other dogs terrified her.

Have a good day tomorrow. Finally off to bed now. Sleepy at last!

bexyboo said:
Hi Dawn,

How are you today?

Puppy training classes are the best. Hope Suki wasn't too scared of the other doggies. :)

Have a good day :) xx

Morning Bex,

I'm good thanks, thinking what to do on my last day before going back to work...

Suki was a bit scared when we first got to the class, announcing our arrival with lots of frantic barking, but then she seemed to realise she was ok and she started to play with the other pups. We did basic commands, and tried a recall too which was great fun to watch as the hall floor is a bit slippy! Next week we have to work in pairs! Shud be chaos! Xxx

Back