Dinkie Dawnies Dubious Diary of Downsizing, Deflation, and Debauchery

Oh wow! Can't believe I went down a pit today! I was terrified! Can't stand lifts, enclosed spaces, being underground...but I did it! We had to wear miners helmets with the lights on, and a safety belt which had an emergency breathing device to keep us alive for an hour in case there was a sudden build up of methane gas!!! Very comforting NOT! And at one point the guide, an ex miner, made us all turn off our lights so we could feel what is would've been like when the candles blew out years ago! It was an amazing experience and quite an eye opener. Goodness knows how those men, women and children coped working down there. We couldn't even walk through the mines without bashing our heads! It was fascinating for Gwyn too as his father and the majority of his family worked in the Lady Windsor Pit in Wales. His dad used to take him and his brothers up to the pit on a Sunday night to use the baths there.

Needless to say there hasn't been much dieting going on here!

Actually there's been NONE! But I did turn down a hot chocolate in favour of a black coffee which I thought was quite good. What WASN'T quite so good was the bowl of cereal and full fat milk, full English breakfast, and toast, butter and jam that I had this morning.

Or the bara brith cake (with butter) and Welsh cake I had for lunch.

And I'm not expecting the steak and chips I've got planned for dinner tonight to be too SW friendly either. Or the pudding.

But I WILL be back on plan after breakfast tomorrow. I promise!

Hopefully pop back a bit later x

image-3510535250.jpg

View attachment 113635

image-3025130589.jpg

image-467859531.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Glad to hear that you are having a good time Dawn.

Big Pit is only about 15 miles from me, and is a fab tourist attraction!

My Dad was also a miner, and then a Deputy Shotfirer, blowing the place up etc!

I went on a walk with him down Trelewis Drift, where he worked when I was younger, and it was amazing.

Ooh I didn't realise we were so close to I Lynne! Small world!!!

Well I seem to have got myself a little tipsy again lol! Tbh it only takes a couple of glasses of wine! But it's been a lovely day and a brilliant evening :)

We got back to the inn about 4pm after spending an hour walking round the rather quaint Usk. It seems I may then have nodded off as the next thing I knew it was 7pm and we were supposed to be at out table for dinner! Anyway it's very relaxed here and there were only two other couples eating so it didn't matter. The six of us got chatting and by the end of the evening it was like we were all old friends! Then the chef came out to chat with us too! The food was great btw, steak and chips with all the trimmings followed by chocolate fudge cake and custard...yummy!

So very little point in even trying to count my syns over the past couple of days! What's done is done and I've only got myself to blame. One more off plan meal tomorrow as we've obviously got breakfast here and then I'm jumping right back on that wagon!

It sounds like you are having a fab time. Very brave going down the pit.. I have memories of doing that as a kid *shudders*. Xxx

Definitely sounds like a fab holiday, and even better that it is so relaxing x

It was lovely Lynne. I think another day there would've been nice and we did consider it but I need to get organised for my trip to see Gail, and we were missing the kids and the dogs :)

Glad you're having a lovely holiday. Sounds very relaxing and lots of yummy food x

Thanks Penny x it was a very relaxing few days and the food couldn't have been any nicer :)

It sounds like you are having a fab time. Very brave going down the pit.. I have memories of doing that as a kid *shudders*. Xxx

Oh Jane I was soooooo scared but I'm really glad I went down there!

Evening ladies x

Well you've probably gathered we're home now. The first thing I did (after cuddling the dogs!) was to whip my jeans off and jump on the scales! And then I kinda wish I hadn't as I'm showing a 3lb gain :( A pound on for each day in Wales! So I'm trying to be ultra good but there's not a lot I can do about it between now and tomorrow's wi! I did turn down the full English this morning tho and had muesli and toast instead. I didn't really have time for lunch as there was lots to do when we got home so I had a big bowl of fresh fruit and yoghurt for tea and I'm nice and full now.

Sitting in my pj's now, having a cuddle with Vicki on the settee and watching masterchef the professionals :)

Bloomin' heck three pounds after a lovely break with good food and drink is nothing! X

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins.com mobile app

Yes, but... chocolate fudge cake and custard?
No.
Fail.

Fudge cake and cream? If you have to.
Fudge cake and chocolate sauce? Better.
Fudge cake and ice cream? The best.

Custard?
Oh no.

Custard goes with pudding, and crumble, and even just with nanas.
NOT chocolate fudge cake.

Ok?
Got it?
Good.

Bloomin' heck three pounds after a lovely break with good food and drink is nothing! X Sent from my iPad using MiniMins.com mobile app

Actually it's quite good for ME I suppose lol. Mind u, that's just what MY scales say...the official ones could be even worse!

Yes, but... chocolate fudge cake and custard? No. Fail. Fudge cake and cream? If you have to. Fudge cake and chocolate sauce? Better. Fudge cake and ice cream? The best. Custard? Oh no. Custard goes with pudding, and crumble, and even just with nanas. NOT chocolate fudge cake. Ok? Got it? Good.

Hmmm...I can see where you're going with this...but in my humble opinion, chocolate fudge cake goes with ANYTHING and ANYTHING goes with chocolate fudge cake! ;)

Glad you had a great experience in the mines. Very brave to have gone down there and turn your lights off!
Food sounds amazing.
I wouldn't worry about the gain because that is what living is all about. Everyone puts on weight and then cut back to lose it again. That's life!
You've done so well.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Glad you had a great experience in the mines. Very brave to have gone down there and turn your lights off! Food sounds amazing. I wouldn't worry about the gain because that is what living is all about. Everyone puts on weight and then cut back to lose it again. That's life! You've done so well. Sent from my GT-I9505 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Thank you hunni :) And it wasn't as bad as I thought as I only gained 1.5lbs!!! Those of you who know me of old will remember that I can easily gain half a stone in a weekend and once put on 12lbs in a week, so I am totally over the moon!!! :) And I'm too excited to sleep as I'm off to lovely Gail's tomorrow! I've made a lentil dahl to take with me, and some 1 syn chocolate brownies and a low syn banana cake. And I picked up a carrier bag full of hi fi bars for my host as she doesnt go to a group. We are really going to try to motivate each other over the next few days.

In non SW related news I had a lovely morning being pampered today! Well, half of it was lovely as I was having my nails done but the other half was waxing...need I say more?!!! And the other news is that Vicki and Matthews house has been prioritised for completion and they should get the keys before Christmas! It's doubtful that they'll move in then as they need to get the place carpeted etc but it's still very exciting and suddenly very REAL!!!

Last edited:
Morning chica - 1.5 lbs on for 3 days of heavenly food is good going. Like you I can whack it on if I hit the carbs. managed 10 lbs in 7 days 2 years ago at Xmas in the hotel :eek:

Give Gail a hug from me tomorrow please, and have a lovely time.

Last edited:
Hi Hun

1.5 - good result! I am sure you can shift this before next WI :). The thing I like about SW is working it in to your life and that means enjoying holidays!

Gail is going to be so happy when you turn up with all those goodies!

Have a fantastic time xxx

Helloooooo ladies!!!

I'm here!!! Yay! Just waiting for Gail to come home from work...SO EXCITED!!! :)

The drive up here wasn't too bad except for the usual M6 roadworks, and the fact that I wanted a wee about half an hour after I set off!!! And I'm one of these people who won't stop when I get going so I just had to try and ignore it lol!

I think it's the first time I've driven here when it hasn't poured with rain/hailed/snowed so that was good! Wes and I put the hard top on my car last night just in case! It's a bit sad to think I won't be going topless till next year :( And it was actually the first time I've seen the car with the roof sprayed black (as I bought it silver from eBay) and it looks stunning! The only problem is that it shows how dirty the rest of the car is...

So I'm sitting here with a black coffee in Gail's lounge and jumping up every time a car comes in the close! Must calm down!!!

Catch u later, and big hugs will be passed on from you Bev xxx

Thanks ladies x

I AM having a good time! Gail and I have only just come to bed having spent the last nine hours chatting! It's lovely! We did manage to eat some tea though! And we've been going through lots of recipe books to get some ideas for more meals over the weekend. I think we're going to make a carbonara tomorrow :)

Green day

Fruit and yoghurt

Yoghurt 1/2

Lentil dahl
Rice
Salad

2 slices of banana cake 4
2 brownies 2

No hex's oops!
6 1/2 syns

image-2285549024.jpg

image-833817516.jpg