dinner at the inlaws help!!

charleybabes

Silver Member
my mother in law has invited us for dinner tonight..i really dont want to go as at the minute i hate not being in control of what im eating!!..
she will be making a roast dinner ...how do i even start synning this and should i have a green day and have a tiny bit of chicken
. do i leave the roast potatos that will have been done in goose fat and the gravy which will be full of syns
i am so dreading going, i keep trying to think of excuses not to go even pretending that i dont feel well..

what would you do / have done in this position???

Personally and this is personal before I get flamed. I would go and enjoy it. There's little point in having a green day as once the skin is removed from the chicken it will be fine so the syns will be from the potatoes and gravy.

Or if you are really concerned Phone her and ask her to do some boiled potatoes for you instead.

I'd just do extra easy, pile on loads of veg so you dont look like your picking at her food, and have the chicken but try and remvoe as much skin as you can. Have abit of gravy with 1 syn. Avoid roast potatos though.

Cant you ask her to bunge a jacket in the oven for you. Then I would just have tons of veg and a splash of gravy - sure she would understand and be willing to help or is she the MIL from hell lol x

thanks for the suggestions all.. she is ok really but i think she would take offence if i start putting in requests for other things all she kinda of the school were butter is thrown over everything so even the veg is going to have to be synned..
i really wish i didnt have to go but theres no way of getting out of it!..

Could you suggest going round earlier and helping her. ie you could portion up your veg before she adds the butter?
or just make sure you don't use any syns during the day then you can use them tonight.
Pile up your plate with chicken, enjoy couple roasties (so you don't feel deprived) & the veg go for the ones a the edge (where the butter didn't get to).
Try not to stress, and enjoy it then put line under and back on track tomorrow.
x

Shirleen said:
Personally and this is personal before I get flamed. I would go and enjoy it. There's little point in having a green day as once the skin is removed from the chicken it will be fine so the syns will be from the potatoes and gravy.

Or if you are really concerned Phone her and ask her to do some boiled potatoes for you instead.

I'm with Shirleen on this one. I'd be tempted to ask her not to put butter on your veg, but other than that Just go with it - roast dinner made by someone esle is not to be turned down!
Roast potatoes are about 4 syns each, gravy is about 2.5 syns, maybe 4 syns max, depending on how much you have. You can easily cut your syns to 7/8 a day for the rest of the week to compensate for any over synnage.

Gotta agree with Kingleds & Shirleen. One day off is not going to pile the pounds on you. I have a night off every week. As long as you're careful the rest of the week there is no reason you should put on just because you had one meal off plan. It's ONE meal out of TWENTY ONE. You've got to have a life as well!

Yep, I have to agree with everyone else on this. Go and enjoy it.

Personally, I have a lovely MIL, who texts every week wanting to know how I've done at WI. If she were to invite us for dinner, I'm sure she'd ask me before hand what I can and can't have, and make it as syn and guilt free as she could.

My own mother though lol, she'd just cook the way she always cooks and if I can eat it, great, if not.. oh well.

I'd just go and enjoy yourself. Like others have said before me it is one meal and you can easily bring it back over the next few days with lots of fruit and veg. I know how you feel when a meal is sprung on me and I'm thinking oh how can I get out of this one but the fact is slimming world is a part of your life along with your family and friends and everything else...you have to have some enjoyment in being altogether and enjoying food. It will be exactly the same at target...you'll be invited out for dinner, birthdays etc. The great thing is you can fit SW around and into your life as well as all the other enjoyable moments xxx

this is exactly the kind of situation flexi synning was designed for, go, enjoy your meal and then straight back on plan, we all deserve a meal off now and again,

have a nice time xx

I agree too and I do honestly feel your pain. Go and enjoy it. I don't see why you would go over your 15 syns even if she does smother everything in butter. If you do think u will go over then, as was mentioned before you can flexi syn (esp if u think she will bring out dessert) or, if u have been good all week you can always make up for it before wi. I do the latter most weeks actually, dont have a blow out but maybe go over my 15 syns so I just have less syns than normal the next day. At least its not a big greasy dominos or something!

I totally feel your pain here. I love my mil but there is no way I would be comfortable making requests or sitting picking at my dinner Xxx

Unfortunatley I face this every week. She knows I'm slimming but dishes everyone's meals out for them so I don't even get not to have e.g. gravy unless I make a point of asking in front of everyone. She watches her weight too and sometimes as omlette while everyone else gets pie. (Which I love but I get 200g which is 32 syns!)

I just have a banana before I go to her house, eat the bits I can, e.g. veg and have less syns the day before.

I also cut the skins off roasties, I'd have the chicken and veg and a wee drop of gravy.

Sio, I'm speechless :eek:

At me or her lol. She has 2 boys so I think she likes feeding them. She does make healthy dinners too though, it's just pot luck on the night. It makes me cry to leave pie on my plate. It's the one thing I miss most. I normally eat the meat and some of the pastry.. I know she's trying to be nice and make tasty dinners, but I see it as a challenge every week.

hi everyone...

well after all my worrying and fretting, my mil actually got intouch with me and said she realised i was dieting and that she wouldnt be offended if i wanted to bring somthing of my own with me, which i did!!..
i had a portion of pork from her which ive counted as a healty extra and just had some pasta and sauce..it was very nice.. not as nice as the roast that everyone else had but she even admitted herself that the veg was covered in butter and the roasties were made in beef dripping.so not the best thing to be eating when your'e on a diet.. she was really sweet about it which has made me feel better for next time now!!!

Awh! Thats so nice. It all worked out :)

charleybabes said:
hi everyone...

well after all my worrying and fretting, my mil actually got intouch with me and said she realised i was dieting and that she wouldnt be offended if i wanted to bring somthing of my own with me, which i did!!..
i had a portion of pork from her which ive counted as a healty extra and just had some pasta and sauce..it was very nice.. not as nice as the roast that everyone else had but she even admitted herself that the veg was covered in butter and the roasties were made in beef dripping.so not the best thing to be eating when your'e on a diet.. she was really sweet about it which has made me feel better for next time now!!!

How wonderful! Why not ask her to dish you out a butterfree portion next time as you miss her lovely cooking? You catch more flies with honey than vinegar! Perhaps do some SW roast taters to pop in her oven, so you can join everyone.

Back