Dinner ideas

Gemma1986

Im just me!
Can anyone please share with me some evening meal ideas as i never no what to do when on sw!

You just do normal meals, not anything different - so there shouldn't be any reason to struggle for ideas. Curries, chilli, spaghetti, carbonara, lasagne, risotto, pasta bake, fish and chips, steaks, stroganoff and so on.

Check out the recipe sub-forum for an endless supply of inspiration and also the food diary section as that will show you what other folk are having.

Also, have you taken a look at BritMum's blog as she posts all her weekly menus and recipes.

Slimming Eats

Once you get into it you shouldn't be stuck for idea's. My problem is theres so many recipes I want to try I want to do them all now!
Depending on what sort of days you do, I tend to do a lot of green and some extra easy, curries are one of my faves, I did casserole last night.
Theres a thread what's everybody eating today and that has some good ideas and of course all the recipe books etc
Let us know what you decide to do nice!

hi gem, i am totally an unconfident cook but since starting sw i have stopped buying jarred sauces for example i now make my own spag bol from scratch (never tried before this) just a tin of tomatoes and some herbs, and onions and peppers - in fact thats the base of most of my meals lol. it can be quite daunting i know but once you start its rather enjoyable

There are lots of recipes in SW magazines and books that are not difficult or complicated. You have to read the recipe carefully and do what it says (sorry, don't mean to sound patronising, but I have lost count of the number of times someone has said to me that a recipe didn't work, and then say that they did it all differently, or left out an important ingredient!).

Lots of people on this forum have said that they never cooked much before joining SW, and how much they enjoy it now. There are some great recipes on this website which people have tried and tested - steal some of their ideas.

Some good staples to keep in are the following:

Passata - it's about 40p for a 500g carton and you can make it into curry, spaghetti bolognese, casserole, chilli, etc, etc.
Herbs - dried, fresh, whatever floats your boat
Tabasco sauce
Curry powders - various
Paprika and chilli powder
Quark
Mince - either meat or Quorn (I only use Quorn)
Chicken or Quorn chicken
Rice
Pasta
Peppers (you can get a mixed bag from ASDA from a good price)
Red onions
Frozen vegetables - try adding frozen veg to things you wouldn't usually think to add them to - i now put frozen broccoli in spaghetti bolognese and it's lovely

From those things you can make ooodles of really nice, quick, cheap meals. It's just trial and error really.

Back