Disability and Weight Loss?

Katy_the_kelt

Hi guys! I'm a bit emotional at the moment, I've just started having to use a walking stick (am 20 years old, always busy, working hard, playing hard) and I feel a bit at a loss. I know it's the sensible thing to do because I was in so much pain - I broke my foot last year and it was never properly treated, so limping damaged the tendons in my legs - but it feels like I've given up some how. No disrespect to anyone else with walking aids! I mean I feel like I ought to have fought through the pain and I couldn't... Anyway, I used to go the gym so I could excercise sitting down, but money's a big issue right now.

Does anyone else with mobility problems have any experience/advice about how it affected their weight loss? And does it become more important to be stringent with syns, etc?

Thank you!! Katy xx

First of all hugs to you - being in pain and having limited mobility is miserable.

You don`t have to exerceise as part of the SW programme but of course it is good for your fitness and physical and emotional wellbeing. You could always look online for chair exercises that you can do at home if you want to do something.

I must admit that I am very lazy and find it hard to exercise, this is something I must address.

Hi katy,
nice to meet you.
I have a long term conditon and back problem which means i can't really excercise so i understand how you feel.
years ago i lost 3.5 stones in 6 months on Slimming World..but was a more mobile.
I broke a bone in my foot a few weeks back so understand what its like as i have been on crutches, now ned a stick as its not heeled :(
i have re joined this year for the 3rd attempt and eve though its is going to be a very long slog i will get there ... and so will you .
i went off the rails with a pice of cake and a snickers as i eat sweet things when stressed out... i am going to give myself a few treats and then get back on plan big time next week as pain levels are pretty bad a the mo... i have lost 12 pounds in 11 weeks... afew us and down but getting there and i am certain you can do it too :)
You may find you can't get away with much bread or wine etc as do i, but i eat wel and have between 7-12 syns a day.
am here anytime you want a chat x

I use a symbol cane as i have a progressive eye condition called RP that will leave me with no sight at some stage it took me a long time to get used to using this but now it really help me to be indepedent. I find it very hard to be out walking by myself so i joined a gym i dont do any program i just try get a walk on treadmill everyday i dont stay on it long tho.
Please dont let yourdisability stop you from achieving ur goals. My friend who is in a wheelchair told me to concentrate on my ability not my disability. Best advice i was ever given xxx

Theres plenty of ways to exercise that dont involve you standing up. Swimming might be an option for you, as you wouldnt have to put weight on your foot too much?

Back