Disappointing Loss :(

Neonshock

I usually lose 3lbs a week, this week I didnt even lose half a lb :(

My food diary has been under 1300 every day without fail, I have been careful with carbs, I have burnt over 1500 cals this week with exercise.

Theres just no reason for this poor loss and I am absolutely gutted :(

Does anyone have any advice?:cry:

How long have you been losing 3lbs a week for hun? If it's a while your body may have slowed down and you might have a good loss next week.

It is important to familiarise yourself with your actual metabolic rate, that is the rate at which your body utilises and burns calories. The only way to lose weight is to burn MORE calories than the amount you consume. Once you understand your bodys metabolic rate, you will be one step closer to achieving your weight goal- be it loss, maintenance or gain.

There are a number of ways which you can calculate your Basal Metabolic rate (BMR) and Active Metabolic rate (AMR). To calculate your BMR you can use the popular Harris-Benedict equation:

Lets Calculate your BMR:
Women

655 + (9.6 x wt in kg) + (1.8 x ht in cm) - (4.7 x age in yrs)
Example: you are 165 lbs (75kg), 5'4" tall (64in) and 32 years old
your BMR is : 655 + (9.6 x 75) + (1.8 x 163) - (4.7 x 32) OR
655 + (720) + (293) - (150) = 1518 calories
note = kg = lbs divided by 2.2, cm = inches multiplied by 2.54

Your BMR indicates the minimum number of calories that your body needs each day in order to function while at rest, such as heartbeat, breathing and blood flow. That is how many calories your body needs to simply operate for 24 hours without exerting any extra energy.

Your AMR is defined a your BMR plus the added calories you need each day to support basic movement and activity. Because your AMR varies based upon your level of activity, it will be higher the more active you are. To calculate your AMR, multiply your BMR according to your activity level.

Extra light = 1.3 ( cooking cleaning ironing driving standing etc)
Light = 1.3 ( golf, walking 3 mph, child care, housework)
Moderate = 1.6 ( cycling, tennis, dancing, walking 3.5-4.0mph)
Heavy = 1.9 (football, climbing, aerobic classes)

Referring to the BMR example lets calculate your AMR
Women
Your BMR is 1516 calories and your activity level is moderate
1516 x 1.6 = 2426 calories.

Now that you know what your basal and active metabolic rates are, you should know how to apply them to your daily life. In order to maintain your desired weight, your daily calorific intake should equal your AMR (+/- 100 calories). By consistently eating more calories than your AMR you will store these extra calories as fat- whether or not they originated from protein, carbs, fat or alcohol, you will end up gaining weight.

If you want to lose weight, then in order to do so both safely and effectively over a prolonged period of time, you should eat enough calories each day at least equivalent to your BMR. However if you take in significantly fewer calories than your daily calorific requirement for an extended period of time then your body will lower its metabolism and begin to conserve energy for survival and essentially cannibalise its muscles.

phew--- hope this helps guys.

I find I stick (or have a very small loss) just before a big drop. It's happened twice now - and like you, I stick 100% to the calories.

How long have you been losing 3lbs a week for hun? If it's a while your body may have slowed down and you might have a good loss next week.

Aside from times I have had a holiday I have been -3lbs every week for four months. :( I guess it could be a plateau :cry:

I find I stick (or have a very small loss) just before a big drop. It's happened twice now - and like you, I stick 100% to the calories.

Yeah I have heard this happen before too. I'm crossing my fingers for next week for sure!

It is important to familiarise yourself with your actual metabolic rate, that is the rate at which your body utilises and burns calories. The only way to lose weight is to burn MORE calories than the amount you consume. Once you understand your bodys metabolic rate, you will be one step closer to achieving your weight goal- be it loss, maintenance or gain.

There are a number of ways which you can calculate your Basal Metabolic rate (BMR) and Active Metabolic rate (AMR). To calculate your BMR you can use the popular Harris-Benedict equation:

Lets Calculate your BMR:
Women

655 + (9.6 x wt in kg) + (1.8 x ht in cm) - (4.7 x age in yrs)
Example: you are 165 lbs (75kg), 5'4" tall (64in) and 32 years old
your BMR is : 655 + (9.6 x 75) + (1.8 x 163) - (4.7 x 32) OR
655 + (720) + (293) - (150) = 1518 calories
note = kg = lbs divided by 2.2, cm = inches multiplied by 2.54

Your BMR indicates the minimum number of calories that your body needs each day in order to function while at rest, such as heartbeat, breathing and blood flow. That is how many calories your body needs to simply operate for 24 hours without exerting any extra energy.

Your AMR is defined a your BMR plus the added calories you need each day to support basic movement and activity. Because your AMR varies based upon your level of activity, it will be higher the more active you are. To calculate your AMR, multiply your BMR according to your activity level.

Extra light = 1.3 ( cooking cleaning ironing driving standing etc)
Light = 1.3 ( golf, walking 3 mph, child care, housework)
Moderate = 1.6 ( cycling, tennis, dancing, walking 3.5-4.0mph)
Heavy = 1.9 (football, climbing, aerobic classes)

Referring to the BMR example lets calculate your AMR
Women
Your BMR is 1516 calories and your activity level is moderate
1516 x 1.6 = 2426 calories.

Now that you know what your basal and active metabolic rates are, you should know how to apply them to your daily life. In order to maintain your desired weight, your daily calorific intake should equal your AMR (+/- 100 calories). By consistently eating more calories than your AMR you will store these extra calories as fat- whether or not they originated from protein, carbs, fat or alcohol, you will end up gaining weight.

If you want to lose weight, then in order to do so both safely and effectively over a prolonged period of time, you should eat enough calories each day at least equivalent to your BMR. However if you take in significantly fewer calories than your daily calorific requirement for an extended period of time then your body will lower its metabolism and begin to conserve energy for survival and essentially cannibalise its muscles.

phew--- hope this helps guys.

I'm aware of my BMR. Infact I have probably had a negative cal day on Sunday as I did a hard workout and burned over 1000 cal, I wonder if I should starting eating a little of my exercise cals...

Are you taking your measurements to? If your exercising alot you could see better inch loss due to muscle replacing where you fat used to be! X

YumyMumy - I did take my measurements that day and I had suddenly lost 3 inches! So Im an idiot and was prob building muscle whilst loosing fat but just staying about the same!

Of course you guys are right, thanks for the kind words. This week I have lost as normal 3lb, wooohoo!

Back