Disheartened

It was more like the C asking the individual how they could better etc. It wouldn't have been so bad if we all interacted with each other, maybe I should try a different class?

It's a shame it's stopped you from joining up, as I suppose the whole idea behind the class is to lose weight.

The image therapy is entirely optional. All you really need is the information on the plan, a regular commitment to measure your progress (weigh-in) and the support of a knowledgable expert (consultant), which is all provided without joining in the class, if you so desire.

I stay to class very rarely (partly due to lack of time, partly because I'm usually the only bloke!), but I NEED the discipline of weighing-in at the same time every week in front of independent witnesses :D to help me feel responsible for my weight loss. This alone inspires me, but I suppose the support of a class of like-minded people would only help to re-inforce this.

I hated IT at first, we have quite a big group and it can go on a bit but I find it really does help keep me motivated. As I've made friends in the class I'm interested to find out how people are getting on. We do go around each person but everyone interacts and shares advice.

I would suggest either trying another group or just going to be weighed and just stay occasionally. You say you can't justify £5 just to be weighed but making that commitment and being weighed by some else will really make you stick to it and that's got to be worth a fiver.

If you really want to loose weight surely it's worth a slightly boring 45mins. I can promise you SW really does work :D

I agree you shouldnt give up just yet. It does take a while to get into it - I found it pretty tedious at first too, but after a while you get to know a few personalities and it gets more interesting.

Also, the fact that you joined with people you already know can be a barrier into getting involved, you are more likely to just talk to each other and less inclined to interact with other people. Just try and make a concious effort to talk to someone else if/when you next go.

You say that there is no advice/support on offer - well why not start the ball rolling! You've got heaps of examples to offer - you're on minimins so there's bound to be something you've found out here that you can share with the group. You may find that if you offer an idea it might get picked up by the rest of the group and others will share things. Or when you get settled in a bit more, suggest any ideas of things you'd like to discuss in group to your consultant.

One of the things we tend to do, that was suggested by a group member is that when we think of it, people bring in something for the raffle (we have lots of small prizes so a few people win things) Thanks to that, I've shared with people the joy of chickpea dahl, co-op pittas being a new HEXB, mug shots and mikado sticks! I've also found out about or tried a few new things, and won some fresh beans from someones garden.

It really is a case of you get out what you put in

I am determined to stay to IT, although I don't much care for it, especially when I have gained or sts, but when I have lost I am happier (ish) to be in the spotlight. I am sure that applies to most of us! If I have gained my C doesn't actually say so, but the advice given by her AND the group members is very helpful nevetheless. We could all do with helpful hints sometimes. Maybe you could find another group where the members also have input too? We have another group after ours, so that tends to make for a prompt finishing time.

Maybe, the group were having an off day? I'm not sure one week is enough of a chance to give it really. If I were you I'd go back and give it more time. Perhaps a few of the group members were away? Perhaps it's generally more inspiring than this last meeting? Perhaps you just need to get used to the format of IT hun?

Back