Dizzy after exercise

Michillinwoman

sugar binger
Hi Guys . Went to the gym today and felt really good . Did about 25 mins on treadmill and 10 on bike and did some exercises with gymball (Have bad back so only way i can do sit ups) . When I came off the treadmill I felt a bit wobbly . I am just wondering if I did too much . I really enjoyed it but I dont want to collapse some day. Some days I just go to the pool and sauna which I love and feel so much better after.

Just do what feels right for you.
Don't go overexerting yourself, remember that your body is going through enough as it is without putting more strain on it!

Doing lots of cardio-based exercise can actually make you lose less each week so be careful of that too!

Thanks for replying pete . I didnt feel i was over doing it but didnt know exercise (cardio) could slow down your weight loss.:eek: I had a disc removed around 5 years ago and I have some nerve damage (due to sciatica) down my left leg. My muscles in this leg were cramping a lot so I wanted to do some excercise to keep the muscles moving.(not specifically to speed up weightloss) Maybe swimming would be better for me.

I have found I get stomach cramps after playing badminton. I've been playing 2 x week. do you think that's too much. Don't want to do anything to slow down the weight loss, so might cut back if people think that's a bad idea

This is nicked from Pete (above) ... sure he won't mind ... :)

Toning exercise is better for your weight loss than cardio while on a VLCD.

I won't bore you with the science, but here's the basic idea;
you are existing on 500ish cals a day with the VLCD diet
your body requires around 2000(min) cals a day to survive
it therefore burns fat to get those extra cals

however

if you start doing lots of cardio, you up the required cals for your body to stay living

your body can't convert fat to energy quickly, it is a slow process compared to converting any other substance (including muscle tissues)

if you do too much cardio, your body will panic as it does not have the energy for it, and you risk pushing yourself into so-called "starvation mode", where you body will hang onto everything it has for use at a much more critical later date (i.e. it's better to let your body go wanting now and use the fats when you have been 'starving' for a week, then use it up now and let you starve moreso later on)

remember, your body doesn't *know* that you are trying to lose weight (and in the hunter-gatherer-survival sense, having fat is a good thing as you will be able to live longer without eating), all it does it convert one substance into another (food packs into energy, fat into energy) and if one of them gets in deficit or the demand placed on the body to perform is too high, then it will do the exact opposite.

So, in a nutshell, don't overdo the cardio, or you will probably see your fat loss slow down. light toning is fine, but again don't go in for the "muscle building" as on a VLCD you won't be getting enough protein to really build muscle up anyway (and by the end of the diet you will have most certainly have lost some muscle mass too)

Afterthought; muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. 1lb is 1lb, whether it is a pound of brick or a pound of feathers.

The difference is, 1lb of fat takes up more physical room than 1lb of muscle, as muscle cells are streamlined and fat cells are bulky.

Thanks for that info, really interesting. I had heard that, but think I will cut down on the exercise until I start refeeding, as let's face it LT is no walk in the park and i don't want to slow things down more than I have to!

Phew!! ;)

Hi Pete, just got to say you are looking great.

I'm going back to the gym very soon, when I'm on re-feed and I'm glad I read your info regarding cardio. I will be asking the gym instructor for lots of toning excercises......!!!

Back