Do I start Lighter Life?

Hobbit

Just starting out
I have been reading the forum for a while and am so impressed with the losses on everyone's signatures or tickers.

My problem is that when I have Googled 'Lighter Life' lots of scare stories come up and it worries me!

What was your first step - did the doctor recommend Lighter Life or did you approach your doctor? Were they supportive?

I have about 10st to lose.

I just want to know what motivated everyone else to join, and if they were worried - and how they actually started really!

Many thanks for any replies!!

I'm not doing LL but I'm doing Exante another VLCD. Don't believe half the scare stories you see.

I opted for a VLCD because I could face how long it would take me on WW or SW. I've been on it 7 months today and have lost 100 lbs. I didn't ask my doc as I didn't need his permission to start so I didn't see the point

A VLCD is a fantastic way to get a fast safe weight loss. It's not easy but it's totally worth it.

It's the best decision youll make :)

Hello, Hobbit. I was worried about the safety too, before I started LL. I knew someone who had done it and seemed well enough but you do see scare stories. It helps that I work for a medical journal so I had access to lots of VLCD research papers and read LOADS (I'm a bit geeky that way) before I started. There can be side-effects (constipation, hair loss, bad breath) but not everyone gets them. And anyway, being FIVE STONE LIGHTER is SO much better for my heart and body generally. It's hugely motivating to lose weight quickly and no one has proved they are any less safe than any other method. In fact, if you combine a VLCD with therapy (which LL does), it tends to be MORE effective in those with a lot to lose, than losing weight more slowly (which can be dispiriting).

Obviously I'm biased because I LOVE the programme and have found a totally new lease of life through it - but I wanted to reassure you that it really isn't dangerous. Our bodies are designed to use our fat stores for fuel, which is exactly what they do when you're on a VLCD, and a well-designed VLCD has to have exactly the right vitamins and minerals in it or it won't be licensed for use in the UK, so you could end up better nourished than you have been in years! The nutrients in the pack prevent your body going into starvation mode so you stay safely in ketosis (NOT "ketoacidosis", which is completely different and unsafe), and just simply burn fat, FAST.

Hope this helps!

I too was a little worried about doing the plan but I read loads and loads (steering clear of the LL website because anything on there is bound to be biased). There is one scary story that crops up in the Daily Mail (typical eh?) and the rest of them I found are people saying to steer clear of the diet, that you put all the weight back on and more... this is nothing to do with the plan, this is to do with the individuals and sometimes we need to be accountable for our own actions. I also found a LOT of positive reviews and I also know a couple of people that have done LL and rave about it. I just had a good feeling about it and when I spoke to my GP he was supportive of it too. I think you just need to do a bit of research but be comforted in the fact that if there was any hint of it actually being a dangerous plan then it would not be legal in the UK! This country is very strict when it comes to health.

Good luck with whatever you decide :) x

Hi,

I am now on week 7 of the plan and its the best thing I ever did to be honest, having lost 27lb's it has given me a new outlook on life and I am sure as the remainder of the weight comes off my life will be unrecognisable, along with my confidence levels.

Prior to go onto LL I tried alsorts of diets, constantly putting a pound on then losing it, so never really got past half a stone as I got bored with the diets. I am not really sure how I finally decided LL was for me, but I would come onto Minimins and read all about each of the diets. I guess I was looking for something that worked quickly and effectively and this one jumped out at me. I also remembered a friend of mine had done it years back and she has maintained her weight so gave her a call to chat about the pro's and con's. I also like you read so much online, I had made my mind up to try LL and booked an appointment with the LLC to discuss the plan and a starting date, only to find horror stories on the net that scared the pants off me. I decided to weigh it up in my own mind, I could continue to put weight on and increase therisk of heart disease or Diabetes or I could take responsibility for myself and do something about it. I also put the horror stories into context, there are just a few in comparison to the hundreds of thousands that have taken part in LL.

I visited my doctor to get the form signed off to start the diet and he was absolutely fine with me doing it.

The counselling is amazing and really hlps with your thought process when it comes to food.

Its not a diet for the faint hearted it is difficult because if you do LL total its 4 foodpacks a day, no other food passes your lips. This in itself can be quite torturous at times, but the way I view it is would you give an alcholic, alcohol, er no. So food needs to be removed to rebuild your relationship with it in a positive way.

Good luck in making a decision thats right for you x

Just to echo everyone above... I also think it is the best thing I ever did... I feel healthier, am nearly 3 and a half stone lighter, in as many months... feel positive, and really on my way to combating a lifetime's worth of yo-yo dieting once and for all...

The counselling part of Lighter Life is invaluable, and is what makes it stand head and shoulders above other similar diets in my opinion... :)

TBSX put it perfectly in her post above, so won't repeat what she said... I'd encourage you to take the plunge though! If you are in the zone, and really want it, it will work for you... An inspirational member on here called Sunshinecass has lost 10stone already, and is working on her last 6 stone... And she will get there too! 16stone!... She's amazing!... and hey, if she can do it, so can you... so can all of us! :D

Of course, we are likely to be a little biased in the LL forum... ;) but we'd love to have you join us... although I'm sure whatever you decide, will be the right thing for you... :)

xx

Thanks for all the replies!

I agree with what everyone is saying regarding the weight loss. The speed of the loss attracts me as I do get demotivated by 1lb losses every week. I just can't keep enthusiastic. I am hoping that the rapidity of it will mean I can stay focussed.

In other areas of my life I am a very determined person - but the weight thing - not so much! I don't know if I will be able to handle the strictness of the four food packs, but think I might, as I tend to be an 'all or nothing' person.

So - what is the next step? Do I speak to a LL person or do I see my doctor first?

I am away on holiday next week, so want to give myself a week back at home and then start on the 4th of April, but would like to get the ball rolling before I go away.

Thanks again for all the replies - much appreciated! :)

I spoke to the LL counsellor then went to Gp. They need to do a health check and sign a LL form. Watch out though, some gps won't do it, some surgeries have a blanket ban and some do it but charge. A lady in my group, who works in her gps was still charged £80 to get the form signed!!

Hi, I spoke to the local LLC first to book an appointment to discuss LL, she then offered me the forms and a start date. I then visited the doctor, it didnt cost me anything to get it signed. Hope this helps xx

Well, I have taken the plunge and am going along for a chat tonight!

I shall let you all know how I get on.

It went ok. I was asked to fill in a form and then watched a DVD about Lighter Life. I knew most of what they were saying since I have been reading here anyway!

My next step is the doctors. I am going to ring tomorrow and see if I can get an appointment. I think I already mentioned I am on hols next week, so would really like to get everything in place so I can make a start when I get back!

Getting quite excited now!

Interestingly, the chap said that women usually lose about 2-3 lbs per week. But from what I have seen on here, this seems low? Or are my expectations too high?

Hey Hobbit...

My losses (as you can see in my signature) average at 2lbs a week... I had expected it to be more, as had heard all sorts about LL before I started... like peoples weekly losses averaging at 4 or 5lbs!... (and yes, some do!)...

However, I realised over time, that my body just loses weight at it's own slower rate... and there's not much I can do about it! ;)

So, I adjusted my goal date, and gave myself some extra time by removing the unnecessary pressure of an unrealistic goal date... and, slowly but surely the weight had steadily been dropping... Yay! And I couldn't be happier!

You might find you're a fast loser... you might find it's a little slower... but I think you'll find the attitude on the LL Forum is generally the same... "as long as it's going down, even by 1lb a week, you're winning"!! After all, a loss is a loss... "onwards & downwards"!! :D

So, don't put too much emphasis on needing big losses... even 2lbs a week adds up pretty quick, and before long you won't even recognise your body... trust me... it's happening to me right now! Lol... :)

xx

Hello, hobbit! Pinkie is right. Everyone is different. You may find your weight loss varies quite a lot from week to week too, which is also normal. It can be discouraging to have a couple of weeks of 3lb losses then a half a pound the next week, but it does all even out in the end. Really looking forward to seeing your progress!

Hi Hobbit,
Welcome to LL.
I had more than 10 stone to lose. It seemed daunting, an impossible task.
LL has changed my life. I am healthier now than I've been for a quarter of a Century - and maintained for more than 2 years.
It is possible and not as hard as you might expect if your head is in the right place when you start.
Having a good LL Counsellor, a supportive group, drinking plenty of water, getting support from here - all help loads.
You can do it. It could be the best investment you ever make in yourself and your future.
Good luck.

Back