Do It For Yourself

Discussion in 'General Weight Loss Discussion' started by fitnan, 3 August 2010 Social URL.

1. fitnan

fitnan Member

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    healthier diet
    It’s a funny thing but if says something to me about my weight and hinting that I need to lose a few pounds I get offended and really huffy. However I don’t mind raising the subject myself and can be quite brutal at times. I guess that’s the whole point, I feel my weight is my business and whether I decide to lose any is also my business.
    Some people might think I’m being naive but I hope my friends and family value me for who I am not how I look or how much I weigh, and as for everyone else I don’t really care. Therefore the only person left whose opinion counts is me so I need to feel content with how I look. Should my weight have medical ramifications then I would respect my doctor’s advice but otherwise it all comes down to how I feel about myself.
    If I don’t like how my clothes feel or I don’t feel good about what I see in the mirror then it’s up to me to re-evaluate what I eat and what exercise I take, or if the arthritis in my knees is playing up and I know losing a few pounds would help then I owe it to myself to take action. I don’t however have to compare myself to other women in the media or reach a ‘magic number’ on my bathroom scales, I have to do it for me not the world and his wife or it won’t mean a thing.
    kazzymc likes this.
  2. Avatar Matched Content

3. irish eyes

irish eyes Silver Member

Totally agree with everything you have just said and lately Ive realised i was almost commenting on my own size before anyone else could, but its true that only we can do it for ourselves so lets do it! Maria x
  4. treasureBelle

treasureBelle Member

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    You are so right on that one.

All this past year at uni, I've had a toxic "friend" (who I have decided I won't be seeing this year), who kept on making fun of my weight, calling me things like "mammoth". :mad: A couple of other friends mentioned my weight to me once or twice as well, but in a more concerned, friendly way and suggested trying to help me lose weight.

The thing is, now I actually am losing the weight (10lbs down since I got back from uni), I really don't want people to mention my weight (unless they're complimenting me on how much weight I've lost :p). The fact is, I will lose weight as/when/how I want to, not because others suggest it or think that I should. No amount of cajoling/nagging/suggestion is going to make someone lose weight, it will only happen when the person themselves wants to do it.
Popular Forums
  1. is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.