Do many people eat after the gym??

charleypolequeen

ok so its ok to eat after 6pm? so what about if you have done a real good workout?
and does eating a meal after workout cancel the workout ...........
this is :cry:eek:nly if you go after work and get home for 8pm

I always eat after the gym. I normally go straight from work so I have my tea when I get in. Besides, working out on a full stomach? No thank you!

I've heard (and this may be wrong) that your metabolism is highest after excercise so it's an ideal time to eat anyway x

My son was a competitive swimmer so did masses amount of exercise, they always stressed that it was important to eat something within 30 mins of a session finishing.

So have something ready to replenish your energy stores.

Last edited:
ok and have you always done this??

interesting...thank you and thats from the professionals talking thank you very much x

I've always done this and it doesnt seem to have hindered me :)

It's all about whats right for you, but really you should'nt be burning all that energy and not putting anything back in to top up on. So long as you eat the right foods afterward, all should be fine :)

I go to the gym in the morning, and just have a banana or a yogurt and some water before I go. Afterwards I am really hungry, so have a good lunch.

Avisk, do you not have breakfast after that?

I go to the gym in my lunch break and find that within 30 mins I am ravenous, so I have lunch then.

Avisk, do you not have breakfast after that?

My gym session is 10.30-11.30, so the banana and/or yogurt before I go (at around 9.30) is enough to make sure I don't feel faint during the session.

By the time the session is over, and I have had a chat with my trainer, it is practically lunchtime.

What I used to do was to pop into the fish and chip shop on the way home, but of course I don't do that now - I go home and have a nice SW sandwich!!

Ahh, that makes sense!! If I go in the morning my gym session starts at around 6:30, so I thought going through to lunch from then on a yoghurt and a banana would be impossible!!

I always eat after the gym. I normally go straight from work so I have my tea when I get in. Besides, working out on a full stomach? No thank you!

I've heard (and this may be wrong) that your metabolism is highest after excercise so it's an ideal time to eat anyway x

This is true, it's called the 'afterburn'. Your body is still churning away those calories for a good hour after you've finished your exercise.

I go to the gym during my lunch break and always eat afterwards. Think I would pass out if I didn't.

Oh - I see why you were confused. No - I am not a "morning person"!

Going to the gym at 6.30 a.m.??? EEEK! Well done you.

When I come back from the gym I often have to either cook (which will take about an hour) or go into town to buy something. Often if I leave it this long I get dizzy (blurred/tunnel vision), hot flushes and feel sick to the point of retching.
So... I have a post workout snack, and then a meal after that.

Me too, always eat after a work out as usually so hungry!!

ok so its ok to eat after 6pm? so what about if you have done a real good workout?
and does eating a meal after workout cancel the workout ...........
this is :cry:eek:nly if you go after work and get home for 8pm

You really need to stop worrying about when you can and cannot eat hun. Eat when you are hungry ;)

There really isn't any right or wrong, professionals (and I say this with tongue in cheek) say many different things - don't eat late, don't eat carbs after 6pm, don't eat this or that, don't have sugar, don't breathe.....

If you are hungry then eat, it really really is okay ;)

Thanks all for your Support guys xxx

Back