Do potatoes get heavier or lighter when you cook them?

Nettee

Silver Member
I am doing my first ever red day and so far have discovered the delights do 35 g whole meal pasta. I am planning on having new potatoes for supper and the book says 200g cooked weight. How much do I need to cook? I suppose I could cook too much and keep the left overs for fried potatoes tomorrow.:)

If you cook a baked potato it will lose about quarter of it's weight as the water evaporates out of the food when it cooks. So a 100g raw potato will cook down to 75g. Try it and see! Hope that helps!

Ah ha, of course - I have not actually cooked a healthy b of potatoes yet for one reason and another, back on red today and tomorrow though so will probably do it shortly. Thanks

Just in case anyone has been waiting with baited breath for an answer.... I finally weighed new potatoes before and after cooking by boiling and the weight was exactly the same - makes it easy!

Just in case anyone has been waiting with baited breath for an answer.... I finally weighed new potatoes before and after cooking by boiling and the weight was exactly the same - makes it easy!

Well it will if you're boiling them as the water cant escape! ;) When you roast them water evaporates so they crisp up, so theyre a bit lighter cooked that way.

Its easier to just use the raw potato weight, but at the end of the day the few calories difference between roasted, boiled & raw weights is not going to make any diffreence at all to your weight loss, its only a guideline :)

Back