Do results vary...

Donzy84

Back to basics
Just wondering, do u find you lose less if you eat loads of junk even if u stay within your allowance? I've switched from SW but noticed I'm eating a lot more rubbish now...

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Definitely. But when I eat junk I also tend to overeat so it's hard to tell. I'd I eat junk I binge. Now I don't like wasting food but if I have junk I'll have half or a quarter of a bar and throw the rest away which is so wasteful and I feel bad but it's the only way I don't overeat

There's this "thermogenic effect" thing... basically your bod can extract fewer calories from protein or vegetables than it can from pure fat or pure sugar, because it has to refine everything down into its component parts and so on... don't have the details to hand but while I treat a calorie as a calorie, I know I'd probably gain more from eating 300cals of chocolate biscuits than from 300cals of kale or broccoli or summat.

I find that the amount of water I drink, or lack thereof, has a MUCH more apparent effect on my journey...so when eating cr*p (which I'm also doing alot of since leaving SW), I make sure I compensate with HUGE amounts of water. If I don't, I don't lose.

agreed, it's water for me too.

It didn't matter what I ate within calories as long as I drank lots of water. 3 litres plus a day for me.

Even though I am now eating maintenance calories I still drink lots and it doesn't seem to matter what I am eating as long as not too many calories.

There's this "thermogenic effect" thing... basically your bod can extract fewer calories from protein or vegetables than it can from pure fat or pure sugar, because it has to refine everything down into its component parts and so on... don't have the details to hand but while I treat a calorie as a calorie, I know I'd probably gain more from eating 300cals of chocolate biscuits than from 300cals of kale or broccoli or summat.

Yep its pretty much that.

Weightwatchers has changed its programme to weigh each of the componants of calories differently based on scientific research about how many calories are actually available for the body to digest. Fibre for example goes straight through and a lot less is absorbed, but stuff like sugar goes straight in and stays.

You can still lose weight on a calorie controlled diet though... I think most people find that spending their allowance on junk was never a good way to lose weight anyway. Alright once a week but good to keep it to just that I reckon x

And I laughed at the 200g biscuits/brocolli comparison... I would say 200g of brocolli would be hellish to try and eat all in one go, whereas chocolate would go down no problem :8855:

200g of broccoli.......eugh!!! :8855:

It's definitley water for me too. The more I drink the more I loose. I could have a positivley angelic week food wise, but if I haven't chugged enough water I don't see decent numbers.

raw mushroom you nutttttter!!! :p And the fact is "healthy" stuff fills you up faster so you are likely to keep to it better.. yeah you include naughty things too, but the good stuff like broccoli is what fills you so you don't need more of the empty calories biscuits have.

Water is definitely a helper too. Lots of water keeps your organs in good function and helps your liver metabolise fat or whatever it does :p A clean liver is a happy liver :p

I've eaten tonsssssssssssss of raw mushrooms today

I LOVE raw mushrooms, but they give me incredible hiccups! Really sore ones that last for half an hour or more. :( I STILL insist on trying another one every now and then though...just incase :rolleyes:

I've got to be honest - I eat a very varied diet which still includes a lot of 'treat' foods. I certainly eat a LOT less of them than before and prefer to get more 'bang for my buck' as it were which means I tend to eat healthier foods as they are more filling. However, I don't class any food as 'bad' or 'off limits' I just have to make adjustments if I REALLY want to eat more high calorie foods. I eat a small bar of chocolate such as a milky way almost every day. That said, like others I also find water helps my weightloss. High salt foods (such as chinese dishes) make me retain water which shows up on the scales. I never class it as a gain though as it's only temporary and drinking lots of water seems to do the trick to push it through my system :)

Back