Do you cook Christmas Dinner, and is it SW friendly?

ginlin

Better to Drink your Syns
I was just wondering what everyone does about Christmas Dinner.

I cook Christmas Dinner for, hubby, the two children, my Mother, Father and Brother, and would also have done so for my other Brother and MIL, had they still been with us.

I only do mains and dessert, but it is not SW friendly, but quite traditional.

I roast a free range bronze turkey, and I'm one of the naughty people who stuff the cavity with home made parsley & thyme stuffing, the neck with Pork and caramelised chestnut stuffing, put loads of softened butter under the skin, and cover with plaited bacon.

The turkey is usually served with roasted potatoes and parsnips, carrotts, swede and either sprouts or cauliflower and home made gravy, packet breadsauce and jarred cranberry sauce.

Dessert changes yearly, this year it is going to be chocolate bombe with fresh cream.

What are you doing or eating?

We go to my parents, dinner will be turkey, yorkshires, sausages, mash, roast potatoes, and lots of veg, desert (the best bit) is mums homemade xmas pudding and custard, or trifle and ice cream for the ones who dont like it,
Tea is ham sandwiches, cakes including xmas cake and then the boxes of chocs and the nuts come out!
I am definatley going to be off plan, there is no point even trying to be on it and to be honest i dont want to be counting my syns and worrying about it, it is only once a year and its my birthday as well!

I shall be roasting an enormous turkey sized chicken. They are seriously enormous. Gary's Mum is coming to us and bringing it with her as she has one each year.

Served with roasted potatoes in olive oil, parsnips, carrots, peas and sprouts, gravy, stuffing, sliced sausage meat, sliced gammon, jarred cranberry sauce.

Dessert- mince pies or xmas pudding and custard, or ice cream in Charlie's case

Tea, cold meat on rolls, salad, pickles, and dessert trifle made by MIL :D:D:D:D:D famous for her trifle...

So Lynne my dinner is looking more and more unfriendly (sw wise :giggle: ) by the minute xxxxx

We all go up to my mums and your not allowed in without a homemade dessert. Dessert if usually a 3 or 4 course affair in itself!

I go to my mummy's and i'll follow SW where I can but I won't be stressing out over it, dinner should be ok its desserts that are my problem, thankfully at my mummy's its pudding which I hate but my in-laws on Boxing Day it'll be every dessert going!!....my biggest downfall!!

My mum usually does pork or duck. We have Yorkshire pud & gravy for starter, then with the meat we have stuffing, pigs in blankets, crackling, roasties, loads of gravy and about five different veg (broccoli, cauli, peas, carrots, sprouts off the top of my head). And mash. Oh, and a bottle of champers :)

Then we all fall asleep before Xmas pud :D So if we have it at all it'll be later in the afternoon, and I usually skip it anyway as Im not a fan of Xmas pud.

Then we do it all over again on Boxing Day with the leftovers! :8855:

ermintrude said:
My mum usually does pork or duck. We have Yorkshire pud & gravy for starter, then with the meat we have stuffing, pigs in blankets, crackling, roasties, loads of gravy and about five different veg (broccoli, cauli, peas, carrots, sprouts off the top of my head). And mash. Oh, and a bottle of champers :)

Then we all fall asleep before Xmas pud :D So if we have it at all it'll be later in the afternoon, and I usually skip it anyway as Im not a fan of Xmas pud.

Then we do it all over again on Boxing Day with the leftovers! :8855:

Ooooo- a proper Yorkshire Xmas meal. Haven't had Yorkshire pud for starter in years. Do you also have Wensleydale cheese with your xmas cake? My hubby looked at me like I was insane when I suggested that (apparently its cheddar in Cornwall :))

Loving the idea of yorkshire pud for starter!
I am going to mums who usually does smoked salmon and philly and salad starter then turkey,gammon and goose with veggies and roast pots, parsnips, potatoes,yorkshires, pigs in blankets cranberry sauce mmmmm
We usually have the dinner in the afternoon and are stuffed until on the night when we may have puds and cheeses and biscuits nom nom nom
Not very sw as stuffis roasted in goose fat etc but hey it will be christmas! ;)
Whats the saying?....people worry about what they eat betweenChristmas and New year but they should worry about what they eat the rest of the year?.....

This is my first Christmas since I've been doing SW, i'd done it last year but i'd given up in September time. I thought it would be quite a bad christmas because this will be the first year my nan would have been on her own because my granddad died in October. The plan was we were going to go round hers on Xmas day, as usual, but she's changed her mind and is going out with her bowling friends. So Christmas dinner will be cooked by me. Just for me and the OH. I'll be doing mine as a SW roast. I'll do Craig the same apart from his roast potatoes. I can't really afford to go off plan.. I get weighed two days later!

I'll cook a boneless butter basted turkey breast from M&S. There'll be roasties done in goose fat, pigs in blankets, stuffing balls, yorkie puds, parsnips, carrots, cauliflower cheese, sprouts .... I'll get seriously stuck into the wine whilst cooking it.
We'll wash it down with champers then turn our attention to my father in law's famous sherry trifle. The fumes alone would knock you out. It would serve about twenty and there'll be four of us troughing it. Based on past years experiences, I'll pass out aT about 9pm which is unfortunate as that's when the Downton Abbey Christmas special will just be starting .... But that's what sky plus is for :D
I didn't get to this size by making wise food choices and on Christmas day I'll go seriously off plan.
I'll be right back on it Boxing Day, though, especially as we have footie tickets :D

My xmas dinner is not bad apart from the yorkies and pigs in blankets. The only thing that is very naughty is the bottle of baileys I plan to consume, me and the doggies will be going for a very long walk on boxing day to walk it off :)

My Christmas dinner is as follows:

brushetta with toppings of goats cheese and red pepper/prawn and sweet chilli/fillet steak and caramelized onion with some cava while waiting for lunch.

Lunch is Turkey basted with Jamies herb and citrus butter.

Roasties in goose fat

Leeks in cream and parmesan

shredded sprouts cooked in a wok with chestnuts and lardons

Roast honey parsnips

chestnut, pork and cranberry and bacon stuffing(done and in freezer)

Pigs in blankets(made up and in freezer)

homemade bread sauce( done and in freezer)

homemade cranberry sauce(done and in freezer)

Gravy

Christmas Pud and cream
or/and

Millionaires cheesecake

then cheese and biscuits/dates/chocs/frosted grapes

Coffee and mints

In the eve it's just christmas cake and I think i'll get some Wednesleydale, thanks Kingleds, havent had that in years and mince pies and yule log

then a few baileys and some lindor truffles and i'll be stuffed!

So it's just a few syns over!!!

Last edited:
Lucia Lucia said:
My Christmas dinner is as follows:

brushetta with toppings of goats cheese and red pepper/prawn and sweet chilli/fillet steak and caramelized onion with some cava while waiting for lunch.

Lunch is Turkey basted with Jamies herb and citrus butter.

Roasties in goose fat

Leeks in cream and parmesan

shredded sprouts cooked in a wok with chestnuts and lardons

Roast honey parsnips

chestnut, pork and cranberry and bacon stuffing(done and in freezer)

Pigs in blankets(made up and in freezer)

homemade bread sauce( done and in freezer)

homemade cranberry sauce(done and in freezer)

Gravy

Christmas Pud and cream
or/and

Millionaires cheesecake

then cheese and biscuits/dates/chocs/frosted grapes

Coffee and mints

In the eve it's just christmas cake and I think i'll get some Wednesleydale, thanks Kingleds, havent had that in years and mince pies and yule log

then a few baileys and some lindor truffles and i'll be stuffed!

So it's just a few syns over!!!

Millionaires cheesecake?? Whats that? If it's anything like millionaires shortbread I would love it :) x

Sainsburys in the frozen section it's heavenly!

This year I'm cooking for my partner, daughter and mother in law! I'll be doing a turkey crown, and I'll be roasting it with onions and clementines, and basting it with the juices! I'll be serving it with roast pots, roast parnsips with honey! Buttered sprouts and pancetta and carrots and maybe cauliflower cheese! We will be having pigs in blankets too! Christmas day for me will not be a sw day! Nor will boxing day, but it's only 2 days of the year x

Im going to my mums hse for xmas dinner. Where my brother in law who is a chief in a hotel will be cooking a full xmas dinner with all the trimmings!! We will have prawn cocktail to start the for the main its turkey, ham, stuffing, mini pigs in blankets loads if veg and the nicest gravy u have ever tasted!!!!
Desert will be made by me raspberry and white chocolate cheesecake with a ginger nut and digestive base and raspberry coolie!! my mum also makes brandy snaps and my sister has her speciality of malteaser cheesecake. So there will be lots of puds at mums!

Im just gonna enjoy xmas night and all the vodka and wine that goes with it. Then straight back on plan on boxing day!!!

Xmas breakfast will be smoked salmon and scrambled egg (free range from our chickens, bright orange yolks), muffins or toast with bucks fizz.

Dinner is the tried and tested Delia method turkey. Sausage meat onion black pepper stuffed under the skin, butter on top of skin, streaky bacon to cover the crown. Streaky bacon rolled up on skewers, chipolatas, roast spuds, brussels and carrots from allotment, peas and roast parsnips. Gravy heaven.

plum pudding ....

I usually go original on xmas day and don't get stuffed, I am a savoury tooth rather than sweet so I love the meat and pickles salad, might have a small sweet.

Last edited:
I'm cooking Christmas dinner and will be SW ish for me as I don't like stuffing or yorkshires.

For starters I'm doing a shared platter of chicken goujons, breaded mushrooms, wedges, toms, carrot batons, cucumber sticks - I will make these so they are all syn free and I just won't have the dips.

For the last couple of years I have cooked the boneless turkey fillet in the slow cooker and is beautiful and moist and again syn free.

Roast potatoes will be made in the actifry, pigs in blankets made with syn free sausages and will indulge in a little gravy.

So with all the vegetables shouldn't be too bad......until the desserts! I'm doing a 3 dessert dessert of roulade (waitrose), strawberries dipped in chocolate and individual mini victoria sponges - I've got small regtangular plates so there will only be a small portion of each *damage limitation*

.....so not completely SW friendly, but I feel a good compromise. :D

Back