Do you count everything?

Fat_ted21

Just curious really. Having come from a sw and ww background where veg etc is never counted, I dont even think about veg or stuff like diet drinks or tea and coffee (would count milk/sugar etc).

Am just wondering if people count everything, or just allow a certain amount of cals a day for stuff like this? Would appreciate your thoughts.

I try and add everything so I know exactly what I am consuming... Except juice... I put tiny amounts in to flavour the water.

I log everything like vegetables too, don't do drinks unless they're high in calories etc (as in more than about 4cal)
Some veg is fairly high in calories, such as sweet potato, and although you naturally know you can't eat that much as it's filling, it's still calories. I also like to keep a track on my vitamins etc (using mfp) :)

I count everything except drinks. I only drink water, black coffee, fruit tea and the occassional diet coke. None of these drinks are higher than 2-3 cals so I don't count them. However on the odd occassion where I have a full sugar drink I will count it.

I always count vegetables. I don't mind really as it makes you realise what a huge portion of steamed veg you can have for so few calories.

I don't count drinks if they're sugar free squash or diet fizzy drinks. Or tea or coffee but they're a rarity. I estimate salad as I'm pretty good at that now. I don't count sauces like ketchup because I use so little so frequently I know it doesn't add up to much and I'm not going to the extreme of putting my plate of dinner on the scales and weighing how much I squirt onto it! Fruit and veg quickly adds up and you'd be surprised just how much is in somethings so they're always weighed and counted. It's calorie counting, not slimming world, not weight watchers, you have to count the calories in everything. There's no freebies unfortunately, except water!

Im d opposite I track everything! I'd be type that weighs everything n measures it lol! Some things I'm confident not to weigh like my Cerial! I even track my green tea and that's only 1 calorie lol

I have been weighing and counting everything so far. I have never used my kitchen scales as much!!! It really opens your eyes about how much is considered to be a portion though - I was eating aroung 80-100g of cereral each morning before I started weighing, when a 'portion' is generally only 40g :eek:

I count everything, but I eat 1000kcal instead of 1200kcal, so I can ignore little things, like a sip of a drink or dipping one chip in a sauce. But any more than that I count.

The mister made a big salad yesterday, came up to about 119kcal with only the veggies.. Was shocking, everything seemed insignificant but they add up! x

Nnoilalala said:
I count everything, but I eat 1000kcal instead of 1200kcal, so I can ignore little things, like a sip of a drink or dipping one chip in a sauce. But any more than that I count.

The mister made a big salad yesterday, came up to about 119kcal with only the veggies.. Was shocking, everything seemed insignificant but they add up! x

I know youre right, I think what Im afraid of is that I might start ditching veg in favour of eating more rubbish.

Fat_ted21 said:
I know youre right, I think what Im afraid of is that I might start ditching veg in favour of eating more rubbish.

Actually I find that not the case, the salad last night was big, both of us couldn't finish it. Yet a small handful of chips next to it was about 150 calories, which I couldn't even enjoy without sauces.
I do count the calories, but it just goes to show the difference in the foods, and which are worth their value.
That was my first time eating a salad, I hate veggies, but after seeing how much I can eat for that many calories, I'll probably be having a lot more.

Last edited:
Back