Do you feel like you'll always on a "diet"?

blue_grapefruit

Gold Member
Having now managed to SS to get a stone off, and being about 1/4 way through my journey the finish line is still a long way off. Yet people are still telling me that yes i'll lose the weight, but it'll creep back on. I'm NOT going to let this happen!

I know deep in my heart that i'll always be on a diet/watch what i eat/calorie counting and it makes me so angry. I can't help but wonder if i'll always struggle with binges, or if i'll learn to eat again.

I'm having a day of thinking it seems (now that i'm unemployed ;)) and i'd appreciate anyones thoughts....even if they are totally random xxxx

BG
Everyone (or at least everyone I know, so maybe that says something about my social circle;)) is always on some sort of diet/watching weight etc.
Just taking work for example, we have me on LT, SM on protein shakes and v weird diets for marathon training, CA who is trying to put on weight cos lost a load when stressed (and she started as an 8 so couldn't afford to), MG who is training because he is started to get middle age spread, JK who is being careful as preggers and a) needs to watch what eats any way and b) doesn't want to end up with baby fat, and the last 2 on WW because they each want to lose a stone for their holidays.
Isn't that normal?

Having always been 'big' i do tend to think that i'm aways going to have to watch what i eat in order to maintain (once i get to goal) but i think if i make some major lifestyle changes, exercising more, not having a social life that revolves around food, then it won't be such an issue.

I think it has to be a lifestyle change and maybe we shouldn't think of it as being on a diet? I did LL last year and learnt all the tools to deal with my binges but putting that knowledge into practise is much harder hence the reason I am here again and going on CD to lose what I put back on and some more. I have proven to myself that I can't lose the weight and then go back to the way I was before because the consequences are that I WILL get fat again.

I also think that if you are someone that has had a weight problem you will always be that person and need to "stay in the moment" and be aware of what you are doing, much easier said than done, if only I could take my own advice!!

Maybe we should compare it to being like an alcoholic, they are never truly free of being an alcoholic they always have to be careful and we should look at it that way.

I know deep in my heart that i'll always be on a diet/watch what i eat/calorie counting and it makes me so angry. I can't help but wonder if i'll always struggle with binges, or if i'll learn to eat again.

Oh gosh. It's been a hard time for me in this department for a few weeks now, but before that.............:rolleyes: most of the time, I found that sorting out my head, I could go weeks just being a slim person.:confused: I then get a rude awakening
dilia_nono.gif

I haven't dieted (well, followed a plan or tried to lose weight) for 2 and a half years. Just been very aware of what I'm eating and what it might do for me. For periods, this has become very natural and dare I say almost easy :eek:

When it's not easy, I'm terrified as I know how hopeless I can be:eek: I never want to be a yoyo dieter again, and when I feel myself slipping and I can't get up, the whole thing feels hopeless.

I think the trick is to try to feel positive about everything:rolleyes::sigh: Enjoying your new body, seeing the slips as a moment you enjoyed then, but now you want to get back to 'normality' and eat normally again.

I dunno. Sometimes (in fact...most of the time) I feel that I'm the only one who struggles to do this. The only maintainer who seems to work and work at it, yet still falls....even now:eek: but perhaps thats because I'm going through a negative stage.

So weight watching may well be there for ever, but you just have to enjoy it...look on the bright side as the rewards are so good.
even if they are totally random
Well there ya go. That was totally random wasn't it...but as I say...going through a rough time at the moment trying to get the ol' head in the right place. Caught me at a bad time.

Now....can you post this in a few days/weeks/months time and I'll tell you how easy it is and how much fun weight watching can be, because that is what I would have said 90% of the time :D

well, thank you for your replies, and your honesty :)

I think i'm having a bad day too KD :(
My MIL has alzheimers and it's pretty progressed and having sorted out a WW diet for her (including meal plans and regularly texting her to remind her to drink water...) she has now lost around 2st. Her BMI is now 24 and she asked me yesterday - What's next.
I simply couldn't answer her, and felt that if i cant explain to her what to do now, what the hell am i gunna do myself.
It's scary to see how little 1000 cals of 1 food type can be compared to another, and i suppose i'll have to take on the challenge of making the right decisions.

Wonder if i'll ever enjoy eating again knowing how being fat has made me feel for so long. Will i resent eating? Hmmmm.....

Wonder if i'll ever enjoy eating again knowing how being fat has made me feel for so long. Will i resent eating? Hmmmm.....

Oh yes you will! Well...I enjoy food more now. I do wonder sometimes whether I enjoyed eating before. I think I did, but I also think that's where the difference is. Before, I enjoyed eating. Now I enjoy food. Does that make sense?

It is worth it. A million times worth it. I think that when you get to goal, it's a case of trial and error. Learning all the way, and finding out a way that you can live with....that feels easy (most of the time...if not all)

So do you have a "weight bracket"?

for example: My eventual goal weight is around 8st 7, so i may allow myself to go up to 9st before taking drastic action?

Is that how you do it?

I have a 4lbs either way margin and I have managed to stick to that.

But...I don't really think like that most of the time because I'm sure I'd just eat up to my 4lbs mark knowing that was the limit. It would almost give me permission to overeat.

It really is a life style change as they kept telling me:confused: Not so much focused on my weight, rather just eating well and sensibly. Having rubbish food sometimes if I really want it, but keeping that to the minimum and making up for it at the next meal or two.

It a new mindset. Not so much based around the scales, but more to do with thinking like a slim person.

It's funny you know, because yesterday I promised myself that I would never talk about maintenance on here again:rolleyes:

Didn't last long eh:eek:

I get ya.

I kinda (ok, i very much) think that im addicted to junk though and as soon as i'm "allowed" to eat it i'll go mad. But then, sometimes i think that my eating habits are not that bad (well when you cut out 2 binging sessions a week) I could live on salad quite easily.

I'm now thinking of CD as a back to reality program, and over the last few days DECIDED that i will stick to it forever - if my weigh starts rising i move down a plan and then find the amount of kcals to stabilise my weight.

BAH! I hope my kids get olis metabolism (f**king beanpole!)

It's funny you know, because yesterday I promised myself that I would never talk about maintenance on here again:rolleyes:

Didn't last long eh:eek:

Why did you promise yourself that? BTW, you going to the brum meet??

I get ya.

I kinda (ok, i very much) think that im addicted to junk though and as soon as i'm "allowed" to eat it i'll go mad.
I was addicted to junk too. Would eat healthy stuff with the boys, then eat junk food when they weren't looking:eek:

I knew I couldn't go on a diet again. I'd had enough, but there again I couldn't imagine never eating junk at least sometimes. I had to find out what I enjoyed about it....did I really enjoy it? Or was something else going on. Then I had to work out how to eat a little and then stop. Two big journeys.

I wanted to find the cause of my overeating, and deal with that, rather than just treat the symptoms.

It was the only way that I knew to get off the dieting yoyo.

Why did you promise yourself that?
Confidence crisis.

BTW, you going to the brum meet??
I don't 'do' meets. Well, not usually. Deaf...makes it difficult.

this is just turning into a conversation between us 2 ...............again! lol xxx

I'm here but i thought it'd be rude to butt in, so am just lurking!

this is just turning into a conversation between us 2 ...............again! lol xxx

I know...it's my fault
Kolobok
I do this.
sob.gif

People will join in if I joke around, but anything serious and they steer clear. It's taken years of practice but I'm now a thread stopper genius
Laie_95.gif

You aint stopped me matey! I just think you're weird! hehehe, loves you really xxxx

Thin people who eat junk food don't look good though do they? I think they look pasty and often have bad skin. What we are aiming for is HEALTHY so yes we will always have to be careful..but what fab rewards we will have!

................Has anyone else noticed this......when i am on the CD SS my nails grow really well and my hair looks shiny..it ALMOST makes up for the bad breath.

Like KD i was thinking it might be better to try to get a bit below the "wanted" weight to give me a bit of lee way after. What do others think?

ALSO...What do others think? Is it reasonable to want to be the same weight as i was 25 years ago? Are our bodies the same as they get older?

Back