Do you weigh any Free foods?

LisaC

Gold Member
After the Free foods v Syn-Free foods thread I've really been giving more thought to my meals & focusing more on Free & Superfree.

I realise SW isn't about counting caloties but at the end of the day all foods contains calories & if we take in more than we "need" it won't really help. When I cook a meal I can never work out how much free food to include as I won't know if I'm satisfied (not full), until I've eaten. If that makes sense.

Lasy night I made a pasta bake & looked at the recommended allowance for pasta. 75g dry wholemeal pasta was 245 cals, (I didn't know w/meal pasta was that high in calories) I gave myself 53g which was measly but I bulked it up with quorn pieces & lots of Superfree. Must admit less than 2 hours later I was quite peckish.

I do have to be careful with my carb intake as too much doesn't work in my favour. I just wondered if anyone measures their Free food, as in going with the recommended amount on the packet or just chuck in what you think you'll eat?? Pasta, couscous etc.

I only measure stuff that I have to in order to add the right amount of water (eg Cous Cous) but even then I will make enough at once for a few meals and just eat as much as I feel I need.

I think that if you want to stay slim long term, the biggest thing you need to learn is to stop when you are full. I'm not convinced that measuring stuff out helps with this.

Also, so what if 75g of WM pasta is 245 cals? Its a really good complex carbohydrate that goives you energy long term, is full of fibre etc. Its GOOD FOR YOU!!! Don't be limiting stuff thats good for you. You know better Lisa! Slapped wrists :)

I don't weigh, thats the point of slimming world, there is no need to weigh unless its HE or syns and even then most of the time you don't need to weigh because its 1 pack of this or 2 slices of that. Put on your plate what you think and eat until you are satisfied, if you are still hungry grab some fruit afterwards (or leftovers if there is any), if you can't eat it all don't force yourself to empty the plate.

Also don't think about the calories, the more you do that the more you are going to worry you are over eating, either calorie count OR follow SW, don't do both.

Also, so what if 75g of WM pasta is 245 cals? Its a really good complex carbohydrate that goives you energy long term, is full of fibre etc. Its GOOD FOR YOU!!! Don't be limiting stuff thats good for you. You know better Lisa! Slapped wrists :)

Ugh I know :( I was just surprised by the calorie content of w/meal pasta & wondered if it would work in my favour to weigh the carbs. Can you tell years ago I was obsessed with calorie counting?? Eek.

I weigh my pasta but not because I'm worried about the calories, its just so I dont cook too much and end up leaving it. As I dont really like cold/warmed up pasta so it saves waste. I dont bother weighing the other carbs though unless I need to for a recipe.

As the others have said I just eat until I'm full.

I weigh my pasta but not because I'm worried about the calories, its just so I dont cook too much and end up leaving it. As I dont really like cold/warmed up pasta so it saves waste. I dont bother weighing the other carbs though unless I need to for a recipe.

As the others have said I just eat until I'm full.

How much pasta do you allow when you weigh it? I cook for one & more often than not if I'm full I don't have enough for another meal. I can never get the balance right as to how much to cook.

I tend to cook 3oz of rice/pasta for myself & 5oz for my DH & find that is plentiful. The only reason I weigh it is, because I always have done & I dont like waste, so that amount is exactly right for the 2 of us. If Im bulk cooking, I obviously double/treble it. Hope that helps

I weigh between 65 and 90 grams depending what I'm having with it. I follow extra easy mainly so If I'm having alot/little of protein then I decrease or up the amount of pasta so I aways have the 1/3 superfree. I dont normally have any much waste now.

Its taken me ages to finally get the balance right ;)

I weigh my pasta and tend to give myself 80g per portion. I imagine that as time goes on I will cut it a little (not a lot). I personally feel like I need to do this to help me lose weight and don't imagine it will be a problem in the long term as gradually I will learn what a certain amount/ a normal portion looks like.

I do weigh pasta and rice, so I don't cook too much. I aim for 80g per person.

I have noticed that SW recipes in the magazine now give an amount for pasta/rice/potatoes in an EE recipe and this tends to be around 80g per person. It's a good guideline.

If I cooked 125g of pasta I would eat it, full or not, it's just the way I am. 80g is plenty for me.

I don't weigh meat or fish though, just the pasta and rice.

jaylou said:
I do weigh pasta and rice, so I don't cook too much. I aim for 80g per person.

I have noticed that SW recipes in the magazine now give an amount for pasta/rice/potatoes in an EE recipe and this tends to be around 80g per person. It's a good guideline.

If I cooked 125g of pasta I would eat it, full or not, it's just the way I am. 80g is plenty for me.

I don't weigh meat or fish though, just the pasta and rice.

I think I'm going to have to start weighing my rice :sigh: I measured it the other day to see how much of it I eat and I would eat about 300-350g cooked which is about 150-170g raw :eek: that's far too much for 1 person!!!

Are you sure VC? I though pasta and rice cooked was 3 times the dry weight? Unless I'm confused.......

No way would I weigh it. When we had rice with a curry the other night we both had a boil in the bag each which was meant to serve 2!

I agree-if I was hungry and wanted the pasta/rice to feel full I'd eat until I was full. I gave to say though in my house I very often pass my bowl over to sone willing person to finish off my dinner-eyes bigger than my belly etc but also I know if I'm not Full within a couple of hours it would be better to have a small portion of my usually 'free' dinner than crisps of choc etc. With pasta And rice I tend to have rice/pasta salad the following day! Xx

Thanks everyone!

I think for me personally I hate waste, so whatever I cook I'll eat. And as I said I never cook too much so that it can cover another meal. My problem is I never have that "full" or "more than satisfied" feeling so I can't eat until I'm full. I never eat too much but at the same time wondered if I was eating more than I should. I'll take into account what you laides have said about how much you allow for one person etc & I'll look through my new SW magazines to see what they allow in the receipes. Think that's what I need to go by :)

Back