DOC TOMORROW

united99

Hi There,
Just after some advice, have an appointment tomorrow & was hoping for some help with weight loss. The docs usually just send me away with leaflets on eating habits which is fine but just feel I need something extra.

I am asking for info to be armed with lots of facts really so any advice would be good. I have heard these tablets work really well for some people.

I had a baby 4 months ago & can't really afford much slimming club wise so do you get these on the NHS ?

Thanks.

Hi and welcome,

Firstly I think it depends on a few things if you are in the obese catagogy and you have managed to loose a few pounds before starting Xenical then you may be a contender :)
Some practices require you to have a health problem too- like type 2 diabeties or high blood pressure.

I have the onset of type 2, dizzy spells skin infections ect and have a BMI of 36- I kept going to the doctor and couldnt loose any weight- I broke down in tears and they suggested Xenical (sad i know but I was so stressed about it all) - I have also had the slimming vouchers these are great if you want to join a slimming club my surgery offers weight watchers and slimming world- you usually have to see you nurse/ doctor once a month for weigh ins and support- Go now and call your surgery about weight management It was the best thing I have ever done

Sorry about all the spelling mistakes but I was so excited to find someone like me :)

laura xx

i too struggled. so the dr suggested the tablets... and even after 2 weeks the dr can see that im much happier and im loosing weight...
talk to them about what i think they call it as Orlistat.
you are interested in it and want to find out if you have a BMI of over 28 (this is what my Dr said anyway)

i have to go back every 2 weeks for the first few months to monitor my blood pressure and heart (as i have a massive family history of heart problems) (also hence why they want to get my weight down.)

Good LUCK
and let us know how you get one

Just say you have tried dieting and have lost weight in the past, you are dedicated this time to loose the weight and heard from friends about Xenical. I'm sure you will be fine, the most important factor is your BMI if its in the range to prescripe the xenical i'm sure the doctor will.

Hi all,
Thanks for you replies, the Doc said no to the tablets :( said if you can do it with them then you can do it with diet & exercise alone but if I hadn't lost any in a year then we will talk about surgery !!!!!!! I only went in for a little extra help loosing the weight, I think they are offering gastric bands etc a little too easily ....... I just think it's wrong they are not offering any help to loose the weight but are willing to pay lots of money for an op !!!!

It did make me a little angry ........

I see you can buy Alli is this the same thing ??

Good luck to all :)

alli is the same, just at a lower dosage....
there are people on here doing alli, so hopefully one of them will be able to respond, take a look at their diaries....

Good luck

Book another appt with another Dr in your practice, it is truely irrisponsable of your Dr to leave you for another year to " see what happens" then opt for drastic and costly surgery when with help and support either with regular weigh-ins alone at your Drs or with Xenical as well you could be doing something now to avoid such drastic measures.
Do some research and get loads of printouts, take some from here especially where we have nice understanding Gps and go and see another Dr, state your case and be assertive.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
xx

When i managed to get up the courage to see my doctor about it, I was doing it with the pills in mind but my BMI was nearly 47.

The one thing I definitely didn't want was surgery of any kind, well if I don't get magically smaller boobs a breast reduction, but nothing of the gastric band type. I've always believed that my main problem wasn't with the quantity I was eating during meals.

i think thats a disgrace for sure.
your doctors opinion in my eyes is wrong.
see another doctor and tell them you dont want the surgery you would just like a little help.

what is your bmi?

x

Back