Doctor Wont Sign My Form

Davey1984

Hi all,

I managed to get an earlier appointment with the Doctor and he has refused point blank to sign my form, despite the fact that I weigh 19 stone and have a BMI of 39. Apart from being overweight I am otherwise healthy.

In the past few months my doctor has put me on the waiting list to see a dietician (6 month waiting list I might add), sent me on referral to Slimming World, prescribed me with Xenical and has even spoke about a gastric band, all of which is going to cost the NHS money.

I told him exactly what I thought of him and how we are being penalised because we are choosing to do something positive about our weight. Once I got going I couldn’t stop, I think because I had finally started to see a light at the end of this very dark tunnel.

He said “do you know the side effects of Lighter Life?” to which I replied “Yes I do, and do you know the health risk of being obese? Surely the minor side effects bought on by following a VLCD is much better than the potential health risk of being obese.”

I even explained about the CBT and he said that the trick to lose weight is to eat less and exercise more, to which I told him that I am not stupid, I do know how to lose weight. And if it was as simple as eat less and exercise more then we would not be struggling with an obesity crisis. I said “Do you think I chose to be this weight, do you think I chose to be this overweight, and potentially putting my life at risk and shortening my life span, I cry every night about my weight. It is not a choice, it is an addiction to food, just like drug addicts have an addiction to drugs and alcoholics have an addiction to alcohol.” I asked him if he would refuse to help them and he said “no, because they do not have a choice.”

He still point blank refused to help!

I am so angry!

Why not try Exante, you order that online and fill out a medical questionaire/declaration, your doctors input isnt required.

You can pay at lloyds & they'll sign or ask your councillor as they usually have a private doctor you can use for a small fee but worth it :) x

One option would be to do an online one, such as 'Slim and Save' and then pay for one on one councilling from someone who does it professionally. The total costs would be similar to LL and you don't need your doctor to sign a form.

Outrageous! Good for you for speaking your mind. I think people's misinformation (especially some GPs) about VLCDs is appalling. When I embarked on it I was working at the top medical journal in the UK and read up loads of papers about VLCDs just in case my GP hassled me. I was lucky - he didn't. But VLCDs ARE SAFE IF USED CORRECTLY! Gah. Gets me so annoyed on your behalf!

I say go for another GP at the same practice - you may get a different response. Or go private. Or do Exante and get support from everyone on here. I really feel for you and hope you find a solution. So frustrating.

Oh, dear, I thought this might happen. As you have no other health issues, you should be able to get LL via Superdrug. Speak to your counsellor and they will point you in the right direction.

Think about your doctors face when you go an see him in six months time as a slimmer, healthier and happier person. Then you can tell him to stick it!

PS. Please don't cry every night about your weight - how awful. You are doing something really positive right now and are taking all the necessary steps. You have your life and your health in your own hands and that is empowering. Don't let your weight rule your life right now. Be the person you are born to be - overweight or not.

Thank u so much for all your lovely an caring replies, it helped to lift my spirits.

I managed to speak to another doctor in the practice and he has asked for me to drop the form off - I just hope that this means he will sign it.

I will keep you all posted xxx

Fingers crossed for you Davey. I thank goodness my gp said go for it and that we'd fix anything that came up as we went along. I've had to switch to Lite as it agrees with my body better but at least the most of it is gone and goal is in sight.
Get the form signed and follow the plan and you will do great.

Good luck, fingers crossed for you he signs it xx

HI. I am new here but I hope you don't mind me asking how you got on with the form?
I was convinced my usual Doc would not sign mine, so I made an appointment with another Doc in my preactice. She was so nice! She signed the form, agreed that the practice would do my checks, and even referred me for a full MOT with blood work and everything so that I could monitor how I am getting on, despite the fact that I am healthy. I also have the option of visiting the Practice's health drop in clinic to be weighed and to talk about my progress and get any minor health questions answered. All of this for free! It really seems as though this is one Doctor who takes me trying to lose weight seriously. I am very thankful. Hopefully this other Doc in your practice will be willing to sign up for you. Good luck!

Hiya all,

I have got Doctors this evening with a different Doctor, so I am hoping that she will sign my form, if she doesnt then I will go to Superdrug to get this signed and I will be telling my Doctor this tonight if she refuses.
So fingers crossed for me everyone.

I am quite unhappy with my counsellor also ......

I had a similar problem while on LL. Each month l had to struggle to get it signed. I eventually resorted to keeping a photocopy of a signed medical from from the same surgery and any time it was refused l showed it to the doctor on duty and they ended up signing. I know how stressful that can be. Try this if it still does not work, then you are welcomed to try Exante which is cheaper and equally very effective, in fact it is about 1/3 the cost of LL if you buy the bumper packs and you do not thave the stress of signing medical forms monthly and going for weekly meetings and counselling. Give it a go. All the best.

Hi Davey...

I came up with the same problem last year...need to lose about three stone and have high blood pressure....the doctor didnt refuse to sign on medical grounds....itbwas a financialnone....he didnt like the idea of me taking up his nurses time for blood pressure checks when lighter life was a 'private thing! He was charging me £30 to complete the form and then his staff didnt want to spend time completing the form. Tried changing doctors but the 'new' doctor didnt believe in it.

So i gave up trying with LL....have found golower which is similar but has actual food rather than supplements. Costs a bit cheaper...£66 per week instead of £70. But you need to buy veg on top.

Hooe that helps.

Btw my daughters friend went from around ia twenty to a size twelve and looks amazing using LL.

Hi all,

I went to a different Doctor and she was so lovely and signed my form without hesitation and without a charge. She said that she thinks it would be an amazing thing for me to do. She even reminded me to come back every month to see the practice nurse for my monthly check up.

I'm so pleased and so happy, just need to wait now until my group starts.

Thank u all so much for your replies xxxx

zombiegirl said:
Why are you unhappy with your counsellor?

The reason I am unhappy with my Counsellor is because she told me that my group would start on 31st January, so I booked my doctors appointment for 23rd January and then she text me on Sunday and said that there is no room in her meeting on the 31st January to which I said but that was the date u told me and she said well there are people who have been on the waiting list a lot longer than you. Therefore i don't think she should have gave me that date as a starting date to beginning with. So being worried, I text her once on Sunday and once yesterday asking her if there was any news on her starting a new group but she ignored me. So I phoned her and she was so rude and said I haven't got any news therefore very pointless me keep texting u back

Hey Dave, Hopefully your LLC has just been over-run with clients being the beginning of a new year and once everything settles down it will be OK. But not returning calls is one of my bug-bears. it is just plain rude!
Is there another group nearby you could join?
In the meantime you could do what i did and start off with a couple of weeks of an online low cal diet like Exante. I was just so desperate to get going that I couldn't wait so I lost a few pounds before I even started.

Back